defensive actions and negates

Started by breadmaster, April 29, 2010, 10:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

breadmaster

i was always under the impression that a defensive action had to be in direct response to the attack...is this untrue?

for example, a character is attacked with a power card that will kill them: can they play 'symbiotic healing-any character' to remove a permanent record hit unrelated to the present attack?  can a teammate play a negate card that negates a permanent record hit defensively?  can a teammate negate an incoming attack against another character?

also, i learned that you can play cards that affect the way a character can be attacked defensively.  for example- black cat is attacked with a strength card, and i play the card that says she can only be attacked by fighting cards, defensively...does this avoid the incoming strength attack, or just subsequent attacks?

what about cards that target the 'opponent'.  does the player get a defensive action on these.  i know the leech card has to be targeted...if i target it to one character, can another play a negate to avoid it (assuming it's not a charcter specific negate)? 

can other cards that target the opponent be defended...for example, the batcave any character that lets you look at the top 3 cards in opponents draw pile?

finally, what about the teamwork avoid cards.  i understand that you have to play them on the initial attack.  does the attacker still have to make a follow up attack, knowing it's going to be avoided?

Bios

Quotea character is attacked with a power card that will kill them: can they play 'symbiotic healing-any character' to remove a permanent record hit unrelated to the present attack?

No. Specials coded "AL" can only be played offensively.

Quotecan a teammate play a negate card that negates a permanent record hit defensively?

No, a Hit cannot be removed in a defensive turn.

Quotecan a teammate negate an incoming attack against another character?

Yes, if the negates is coded "AO". But its not possible if the negates is coded "DO".

Quotealso, i learned that you can play cards that affect the way a character can be attacked defensively.  for example- black cat is attacked with a strength card, and i play the card that says she can only be attacked by fighting cards, defensively...does this avoid the incoming strength attack, or just subsequent attacks?

This card can be played defensively, so it would avoid the incoming attack and also subsequent attacks.

Quotewhat about cards that target the 'opponent'.  does the player get a defensive action on these.  i know the leech card has to be targeted...if i target it to one character, can another play a negate to avoid it (assuming it's not a charcter specific negate)? 

Meta rule (152) - Specials which read "Target" (with no qualifier) or "Target Opponent" should read "Target Character". Specials which say "Opponent" without the word "Target" refer to the opponent (not a specific character).

Specials which target a character may be avoided or negated.

Quotecan other cards that target the opponent be defended...for example, the batcave any character that lets you look at the top 3 cards in opponents draw pile?

The Batcave affects the opponent, not a character. It can only be negated defensively. As if it worths spending a negates in such a lousy card!

Quotefinally, what about the teamwork avoid cards.  i understand that you have to play them on the initial attack.  does the attacker still have to make a follow up attack, knowing it's going to be avoided?

Actually your defense prevents the opponent from making additional attacks. Meta rule (148) adds some info: Specials which block a teamwork attack (a) must be played against the initial attack - not against any of the follow up attacks and (b) can be played regardless of who the targetted character is (i.e., the Character playing the Special does not need to be the Character being attacked).

Hope it helps!

breadmaster

thanks, it did help

i'm still kind of confused about the teamwork avoids.  the rules say you can't play a teamwork card, unless you're able to make the follow up attacks.  i interpreted that as, you MUST make the follow up attack.

what exactly 'stops' (that is...helps) the opponent from having to make the follow up attack?  the wording on the card says 'avoids all attacks from 1 teamwork card'?  why word it that way if only the initial attack is the one that matters?

Bios

The special effects overrules the teamwork. In another words, after you play a DB special against a teamwork attack, your opponent is unable to make follow up attacks.

The problem is that the wording on the card is not clear. It should read "avoids the attack from a teamwork card and opponent may not make any additional follow ups".

Demacus

It is essentially a teamwork Negate.

To play a teamwork attack, you HAVE to be able to make at least 1 follow up.

If you play your teamwork and your opponent drops a Confusion on it, it avoids
the teamwork attack and all additional attacks, but the additional attacks aren't so much avoided, as they are negated or removed from your opponent.

It's kind of like if you negate an AA special.  The attack is defended, and your opponent cannot make any follow-ups.

mattkoz

If I play a remove hit from permanent record card, can it be negated by Bastion or an old fashioned negate? That play never comes across the table so to speak, so I don't know if a negate can be played defensively in that situation. Once the turn changes, the action is already over so it couldn't be negated on an offensive turn.

breadmaster

yeah, you can negate it defensively

the rulebook says you can't, but the guide to playing specials says you can