Playing Placed Cards

Started by mattkoz, February 20, 2012, 10:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattkoz

I was playing with Green Goblin and Hobgoblin tonight. If Goblin Cache is in play, can Hobby play any specials that are placed under the Green Goblin? My gut says no.

Jack

No characters are ever allowed to play a teammate's placed cards unless another card allows it (i.e Linkstone).

Hobgoblin's HI card allows him to place/play any of Green Goblins' specials, but once cards are placed, they can only be used by the character it was placed under (unless Linkstone is used).

mattkoz

If you have a clone in reserve, would specials placed there duplicate with ones playable on the front line?

Example : Spiderman on front line, Doppelganger in reserve. I place a Wall Crawl to Doppelganger; in the next hand I draw another Wall Crawl. Can I keep it in hand to play for Spidey? Can I place it to Spidey?

If I place it and one of my other heroes gets KOed, in the next round when Doppelganger moves up, there would be duplicates. Would I have to pick one of the places Wall Crawls to discard? This problem leads me to believe the answer to my original question is no, but I want to be sure.

Jack

It would be similar to the placing rules for power cards in the reserve.

If both Wall Crawls are placed, with Doppelganger in the reserve and he comes up, you do not have to discard duplicates. It sneaks in underneath the duplicate discard rule. This only works when cards are placed on the reserve because you'd have to discard duplicate otherwise. If you draw a Wall Crawl in your hand in the same battle you move Doppelganger into the front line, you have to immediately discard it because it is a dupe.

mattkoz

Awesome. Thanks. I've never been much of a placer to the reserve, but this gives me something different to consider

Demacus

Quote from: Jack on March 04, 2012, 09:35:38 AM
It would be similar to the placing rules for power cards in the reserve.

If both Wall Crawls are placed, with Doppelganger in the reserve and he comes up, you do not have to discard duplicates. It sneaks in underneath the duplicate discard rule. This only works when cards are placed on the reserve because you'd have to discard duplicate otherwise. If you draw a Wall Crawl in your hand in the same battle you move Doppelganger into the front line, you have to immediately discard it because it is a dupe.

Would the same be true of say a level 6E power card?  8S teamwork universe cards? So long as the character in reserve can legally have the card placed to him, and you can place a dupe to a different character before the reserve joins the front line, you wouldn't have to discard either of the placed dupes as dupes, correct?

Jack

Yes.

Clarifications:
You discard duplicates before placing. So if you have two Wall Crawls in your hand but have Doppelganger (in reserve) and Spider-Man, you have to discard one of them.

If the reserve can play the card, it counts as a duplicate. So if you have Shi'ar and Deathbird in a team, Deathbird in reserve and have a 1 Energy placed to Shi'ar, any level 1 power card counts as a dupe because Deathbird can defend from the reserve and make the card usable.

Demacus

If you place a lvl 6E powercard to a reserve Prof X and on your next hand you draw and place a second 6E to Storm in your front line, then Jean Grey dies moving Prof to the front with his 6E still placed to him and Storm, do you have to discard one of the 2 placed 6's or do you only discard from your hand if you draw a new 6 while those two are placed?

Jack

Whatever cards a reserve brings into the battle after a front line was KO'd does not count for dupes.

There's nothing in the rule book that governs a situation when you have duplicate placed cards. It only governs the situation where you fetch a new hand at the beginning of the battle (so you would discard it then) or whenever you draw cards (the ruling exists on the cards/meta).

Demacus

That's really cool to know.  One of the OPO tourneys I played in, when I had such a situation, my opponent insisted that I discard one of the two placed power cards. I did so to keep the game moving, but I wasn't sure that I had to.  Now I know for the next time.  :D

Jack

QuoteQuestion: In the same kind of question, what if you have duplicates placed on the reserve and a front line hero (which don't count as duplicates) and then a special is played which switches a front line with the reserve? Do you immediately discard the duplicate? Was it considered a duplicate because you have that special card in your hand? Alternatively, if a character was KOed and a different front liner and the reserve both had the same power card placed on them (say an 8 for example), is one discarded next round when the reserve comes to the front line? (1997-12-21)

Answer: Cards that are placed do count towards duplication however the only cards you ever discard (during the discard phase) are cards from your hand. Therefore, both of the power cards would stay placed but any duplicate of them in your hand would have to be discarded (obviously).

From Norm Barth's QNA pages.