MUTANT REFUGE (B6) - Aspect

Started by gameplan.exe, March 14, 2011, 03:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NickW

When I read it now, it's clear to me exactly how it should be played.  I agree, there can be some confusion, but I think it is only if you take certain words out of the order they were written.  I'm not sure if the reason I wrote what I did on my website was because someone else's confusion influenced my own understanding of the card or if something else was going on.  To be honest, I don't think we spent a lot of time on Aspects, playtesting them or editing the game text for issues like this.  We hoped that Aspects could become a larger part of the game in time, but 1 Aspect each for 22 different Locations was not going to be enough to do it in one expansion.  We focused on Specials, the major factor of the game.

Palatinus

Quote from: NickW on April 10, 2011, 09:26:45 AM
When I read it now, it's clear to me exactly how it should be played.  I agree, there can be some confusion, but I think it is only if you take certain words out of the order they were written.  I'm not sure if the reason I wrote what I did on my website was because someone else's confusion influenced my own understanding of the card or if something else was going on.  To be honest, I don't think we spent a lot of time on Aspects, playtesting them or editing the game text for issues like this.  We hoped that Aspects could become a larger part of the game in time, but 1 Aspect each for 22 different Locations was not going to be enough to do it in one expansion.  We focused on Specials, the major factor of the game.

So is there a conclusion on how this card should be played?

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Palatinus on April 11, 2011, 11:02:28 AM
So is there a conclusion on how this card should be played?

Yes - When the opponent of the player using Avalon plays an activator, both players simultaneously draw 1 card. Draw cards before resolving the opponent's action.

-BBH

Demacus

Meaning, Avalon team can still use a battlesite, but without the disadvantage of allowing their opponent card draws when THEY use activators themselves.  Advantage to the Avalon team, provided opponent pulls a dupe and Avalon team does not.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Demacus on August 04, 2011, 03:43:25 PM
Meaning, Avalon team can still use a battlesite, but without the disadvantage of allowing their opponent card draws when THEY use activators themselves.  Advantage to the Avalon team, provided opponent pulls a dupe and Avalon team does not.

correct, much to my disappointment

I know that there can still be advantage to me when we both draw (mostly by limiting my own duplication rate in my deck build), but it's not nearly as straight-forward an advantage as it could've been. c'est la vie.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

steve2275

Quote from: Onslaught on April 03, 2011, 06:56:10 PM
I spoke to a Reserve about this, and to the best of his recollection they interpreted it internally as

"For the remainder of the game, if your opponent plays an activator, you draw a card. If you play an activator, your opponent draws a card."

Now everyone go try Avalon homebase with Any Heroes...
i thought you couldnt play any hero/char if u have a homebase?
or is it any hero/char if you have a battlesite?

Kal-el

It's battlesite. You're good to go with a base.

thetrooper27

This was a tight discussion guys.  Way to debate!

I would like to say that I agree with BBH's statement:
Quote from: BigBadHarve on April 05, 2011, 12:17:46 PM

When dealing with an unknown variable, one can only use precedent as a guide. Hence my interpretation of the use of 'opponent' as it applies to the rest of the established cards. It's really all we have to go on.
-BBH

Only events (which I believe Nick mentioned) apply to both players, so anytime a special or aspect refers to an opponent, it will never be talking about the person who played the card.  Never.  Precedent is a GREAT guideline for how to rule ambiguously worded cards.  This conversation reminded me of the Substitute Death debate we had (and I wanted to dig all that up in Buffalo but I forgot:().  I lost that debate, and I'm still not sure if anyone understood where I was coming from.  I think everyone at least understood one another here, and that's important.  At least to me, it is. 

Hey, can anyone answer this question for me, and I've asked a couple times, though it's slipped by the board:

Can I attack my own teammate?
"wow...never notice how JACKED pym is in that pic before!" -breadmaster

gameplan.exe

Quote from: thetrooper27 on April 25, 2013, 01:41:04 AM
This was a tight discussion guys.  Way to debate!

I would like to say that I agree with BBH's statement:
Quote from: BigBadHarve on April 05, 2011, 12:17:46 PM

When dealing with an unknown variable, one can only use precedent as a guide. Hence my interpretation of the use of 'opponent' as it applies to the rest of the established cards. It's really all we have to go on.
-BBH

Only events (which I believe Nick mentioned) apply to both players, so anytime a special or aspect refers to an opponent, it will never be talking about the person who played the card.  Never.  Precedent is a GREAT guideline for how to rule ambiguously worded cards.  This conversation reminded me of the Substitute Death debate we had (and I wanted to dig all that up in Buffalo but I forgot:().  I lost that debate, and I'm still not sure if anyone understood where I was coming from.  I think everyone at least understood one another here, and that's important.  At least to me, it is. 

Hey, can anyone answer this question for me, and I've asked a couple times, though it's slipped by the board:

Can I attack my own teammate?

It was a good debate. I'm sad it isn't the way I think it should be  :P

Also, there are only two cards that "attack" teammates:
DZ (see Nightcrawler)
and
IA (see White Queen)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

thetrooper27

I was wondering... I chimed in on another discussion about Telepathic Coordinator.  I'm not sure either of those should be usable on your teammates.  They're offense oriented cards... I couldn't get anyone to comment further though.  I'll bump that thread if I can find it.
"wow...never notice how JACKED pym is in that pic before!" -breadmaster