Power Card Deck Use

Started by Tussin, April 20, 2014, 03:25:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tussin

ok just curious as i figure out very unorthodox-ed styled decks..

TIFFANY 6-6-4-4 (20) Fighting Rating 8 for Defense

can i put level 8 Fighting Power Cards in my deck without having a real 8 valued Fighter in my deck?

also confirming this... i would not be able to have 8 Fighting Power Cards in my deck if nobody had an 8 in Fighting?

* BLACK PANTHER <CL> {R} E: 2 F: 7 S: 5 I: 6 (20)
* HEART SHAPED HERB (AL) <CL> {C}
Remove 1 Hit from Black Panther's Permanent Record, and Black Panther's
Fighting Rating increases to 8 for remainder of Battle.

AO user

I asked a similar question with max six team with Captain Mar-Vell & Reyes I.A.'s and the consensus was 8's were allowed!  Happy hunting!

Hot Rod

Unless there is something stated in the current meta rules, or the Q and A on this, it could be No.

Check the rules to see if you are allowed to put power cards into your deck without a character being able to play them.

judging by the findings in the other threads, it would currently be No.

Tussin

well Tiffany can play 7's and 8's... but just for defense so

Black Panther can play 8's with his special

Hot Rod

Quote from: Tussin on April 20, 2014, 12:19:55 PM
well Tiffany can play 7's and 8's... but just for defense so

Black Panther can play 8's with his special

Yes, but neither of them have an 8 on their grids.

Power cards are owned by the characters, not the player.  Due to the precedence being debated in the other thread, this would mean any of these "8 on defense" characters would be unable to 'Use' 8's without an actual 8 stat character on the team.  They also cannot currently place the 8 power cards.

BigBadHarve

Here it is in black and white.

Those characters with the inherent that allows them to use the power cards enable you to add them to the deck. You don't need a proper '8' stat character to go with them. So Reyes, Capt Mar-Vell, Tiffany enable you to add level 7 and 8 power cards into your deck.

Black panther is a different case. Because his stat goes up from a special, you can NOT add level 8 fighting power cards unless another character can use them.

Same as if you were to use Hobgoblin. His Goblin Cache special does not allow you to add Green Goblin cards. You have to use both characters.

TheBradness

Quote from: Hot Rod on April 20, 2014, 12:26:14 PM

Power cards are owned by the characters, not the player.  Due to the precedence being debated in the other thread, this would mean any of these "8 on defense" characters would be unable to 'Use' 8's without an actual 8 stat character on the team.  They also cannot currently place the 8 power cards.

Maybe you can link the thread here that you're referring to? 

I see no reason why the answer to this topic would be "no, she can't use them".  If their I.A. states that she can use them for defense (e.g. Reyes' "Intellect Power Grid Rating is 8 for defense") then that 8 power card becomes usable, just not to attack.  It doesn't matter what their grid reads, their innate ability trumps it.  You can't have cards in your deck that are not usable by characters on your team.  In Captain Marvell or Tiffany's case, an Energy 7 or 8 is usable.  In Reyes' case, an Intellect 7 or 8 is useable, (and after Black Panthers AL is played, an 8 Fighting becomes useable).  It can only be used to defend, in the case of Reyes and Tiffany, but it's still perfectly useable.

Hot Rod

Quote from: TheBradness on April 20, 2014, 12:50:44 PM

I see no reason why the answer to this topic would be "no, she can't use them".  If their I.A. states that she can use them for defense (e.g. Reyes' "Intellect Power Grid Rating is 8 for defense") then that 8 power card becomes usable, just not to attack.  It doesn't matter what their grid reads, their innate ability trumps it.  You can't have cards in your deck that are not usable by characters on your team.  In Captain Marvell or Tiffany's case, an Energy 7 or 8 is usable.  In Reyes' case, an Intellect 7 or 8 is useable, (and after Black Panthers AL is played, an 8 Fighting becomes useable).  It can only be used to defend, in the case of Reyes and Tiffany, but it's still perfectly useable.

http://www.beenhereandthere.com/SMF/playing-specials/fun-question-for-debate/

Yes, they are indeed usable, but they are not playable.

As has been shown in the other thread, there is a difference between 'Use' and 'Play.'

'Play' essentially means ownership.  The benefits of ownership are as follows:

1.  You are allowed to put the chosen cards into your deck.

2.  You may place the chosen cards.

3.  You may attack with the chosen cards.

4. You may defend with the chosen cards.

'Use' includes the following benefits:

1.  You may attack with the chosen cards.

2.  You may defend with the chosen cards.

As you can clearly see, "8 for defense" characters do not have the right to put level 8 power cards into their decks, nor do they have the right to place them.

The only characters that have access to benefits #1, and #2 are characters with the corresponding grid.  In this case that's an 8 grid.

This is what we're trying to get changed in the other thread, by striking down the offending "rule," and of course protecting the game from wild bouts of fantasy.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Hot Rod on April 20, 2014, 01:14:10 PM
Quote from: TheBradness on April 20, 2014, 12:50:44 PM

http://www.beenhereandthere.com/SMF/playing-specials/fun-question-for-debate/

As has been shown in the other thread, there is a difference between 'Use' and 'Play.'

As you can clearly see, "8 for defense" characters do not have the right to put level 8 power cards into their decks, nor do they have the right to place them.

The only characters that have access to benefits #1, and #2 are characters with the corresponding grid.  In this case that's an 8 grid.

This is what we're trying to get changed in the other thread, by striking down the offending "rule," and of course protecting the game from wild bouts of fantasy.

Did you even read the rule in question? It says THE EXACT FUCKING OPPOSITE of everything you just asserted.

Tussin

i feel like im on a rollercoaster of emotions..  :'(  :o it would be awesome if i could use tiffany in my deck i want to create and have 8 Fighting's legally allowed with only her able to use them

i only plan to build this deck if its legal

Hot Rod

Quote from: Tussin on April 20, 2014, 03:15:11 PM
i feel like im on a rollercoaster of emotions..  :'(  :o it would be awesome if i could use tiffany in my deck i want to create and have 8 Fighting's legally allowed with only her able to use them

i only plan to build this deck if its legal

Haha, don't worry dude, it's perfectly legal if that is the ruling we all agree with.  Which I do.

Due to Sean's equally poor reading comprehension I shall quote myself. 

Quote from: Hot Rod on April 20, 2014, 10:52:21 AM
Unless there is something stated in the current meta rules, or the Q and A on this, it could be No.

Check the rules to see if you are allowed to put power cards into your deck without a character being able to play them.

judging by the findings in the other threads, it would currently be No.

My example given was clearly in relation to "Use" versus "Play" which is evident in the Norman ruling.  If half of the Norman ruling breaks the game, what can we say for the other half?  The ruling is a contradiction to itself.

If anyone is confused as to my position from this point on, I will state it very clearly: I have always favored how the game has been played above all else.  I stated this in the debate thread, and I acted on this belief when I played a max 6 deck at the last Buffalo tournament containing all of the "8 for defense" heroes.

As evidenced, I have always favored the right for these characters to use level 8 power cards.  Regardless of an 8 stat characters on the team.

TheBradness

Quote from: Hot Rod on April 20, 2014, 01:14:10 PM

According to the definition that YOU quoted, if cards are useable, then they are playable.  Reyes can use Level 8 Intellect.  Therefore, Yes, you can include them in your deck building.

Alternately, check out Jack's page http://overpower.ca/pages/rules-welcome.php?#rules-building-your-deck and look at the second-to-last paragraph with regards to Deck Building, taken from the Monumental Rulebook:

"You should only include Power cards and Universe cards (that includes Training, Teamwork, and Ally cards) with Power Types and Values that are usable by at least one of your Characters. And, of course, you'll want to include only the Special cards that are usable by the Characters on your team, or those that are usable by Any Character."

AO user

BBH is my hero.  I think I'm getting it...slowly.  Thanks for clarification, guys!  :D

drdeath25

Reyes can have 8i power cards in the deck AND have them be placed on her. The card is usable by her. Just only for defense.