"THUD" Deck

Started by thetrooper27, November 20, 2012, 11:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve2275

could always go with fatal attractions
* SHOCKWAVE ROCKS THE WORLD!  <MC> {R}    Magneto
        No cards with an Energy icon may be used to attack this battle.

* THE BEST LAID PLANS...  <MC> {R}        Bishop
        Sort through the Draw Pile and choose any four cards. Reshuffle Draw
            Pile. Put four chosen cards on top of Draw Pile.

perhaps set up 2 ally+2special combo

or
* ASSAULT ON ONSLAUGHT   my favorite

* FIGHTING SPIRIT LIVES!  <OS> {VR}       Juggernaut
        All Special cards in your hand may be played by any Hero, for remainder
            of battle.

* FUEL FOR THE MACHINE  <MN> {R}          X-Man
        Sort through Draw Pile card by card. Put the first card with more than
            one icon in your hand. May be a duplicate. Reshuffle Draw Pile.
might be able to draw and keep a dupe activator

* HELPING HANDS  <OS> {VR}                Black Panther
        Draw two cards after the Discard Phase. Do not discard if duplicates.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: rucker73 on November 23, 2012, 11:11:48 PM
Yes you can use a modifier to aid in a defensive action.  I don't recall the rule about an artifact though, does anyone know if you can use an artifact defensively?

Also some specials can't be played defensively in this way (yes I know it's confusing) I think that there is a debate about these specials going on under the "Aunt Petunia" thread.

if you refer back to my reply earlier, key-in on the "opponent" vs. "teammates" logic. Snow Blind says "Opponent's team is -1" which makes it offense-only. Freelance Spy says "Team is +2" making it offensive or defensive. make a little more sense?

also, Troop, yes I have used that Magneto card under several battlesites. the biggest challenge using a lot of those (Which I sometimes do from Savage Land or XMansion) is that you need to build your deck with the idea that Power Cards will be defensive a lot (so don't use a lot of Teamworks, for example)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

thetrooper27

So it probably wouldn't be worth working in to this particular offensive deckbuild?
"wow...never notice how JACKED pym is in that pic before!" -breadmaster

gameplan.exe

Quote from: thetrooper27 on November 24, 2012, 02:55:05 PM
So it probably wouldn't be worth working in to this particular offensive deckbuild?

Well, it could work. If you have whoppers for offensive Specials, and maybe just keep the Teamwork cards down (like 3 or less).
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

thetrooper27

Quote from: steve2275 on November 24, 2012, 01:35:45 AM
could always go with fatal attractions
* SHOCKWAVE ROCKS THE WORLD!  <MC> {R}    Magneto
        No cards with an Energy icon may be used to attack this battle.

* THE BEST LAID PLANS...  <MC> {R}        Bishop
        Sort through the Draw Pile and choose any four cards. Reshuffle Draw
            Pile. Put four chosen cards on top of Draw Pile.

perhaps set up 2 ally+2special combo

or
* ASSAULT ON ONSLAUGHT   my favorite

* FIGHTING SPIRIT LIVES!  <OS> {VR}       Juggernaut
        All Special cards in your hand may be played by any Hero, for remainder
            of battle.

* FUEL FOR THE MACHINE  <MN> {R}          X-Man
        Sort through Draw Pile card by card. Put the first card with more than
            one icon in your hand. May be a duplicate. Reshuffle Draw Pile.
might be able to draw and keep a dupe activator

* HELPING HANDS  <OS> {VR}                Black Panther
        Draw two cards after the Discard Phase. Do not discard if duplicates.

Set up 2 ally, 2 special?  Wouldn't I have to play that over 2 turns?  I can only play Ally's at the top of the turn.

Did we ever decide whether Hit and Run or Agile Avenger should go in?

Do you guys often use the shift special with your battlesite? 

thetrooper27

New deck:

Heroes for Hire, Colossus, Savage Dragon, Thing(reserve)
Marvel Universe homebase
Asteroid M Battlesite:
2Mystique - Commando Raid, Cool Under Fire
2Blob - Heavy Hitter, Blubber Block
2Magneto - Magnetic Devastation, Master of Magnetism (OPD)
2Quicksilver - Agile Avenger, Rapid-fire Punches
2Scarlet Witch - Change Outcome, Spontaneous Combustion
2Rogue - Power Wipe, Intercept Attack

2Ally: Franklin Richards, JJ Jameson
5Teamworks: 6A, 7S, 6F, 8S, 7F

Power Cards:
3x 8S
3x 7S
3x 6S
3x 5F
1x 4I
2x 4M
3x 3I
3x 2M

Colossus:
2Mighty Metal
1Skin of Steel
2Stoic Defender
1Siberian Strength
3Haymaker

Savage Dragon:
1Savage Strength
2Dragon Brawl
2Freak Force

HFH:
1Power Man
3White Tiger
2The Black Knight
1Iron Fist

Thing:
1Clobberin' Time

2 Events: Shockwave Rocks the World, The Best Laid Plans...

Better????? Any Final Tweaks?

thetrooper27

I like it so far... Which battlesite offers the most offensive capability?  What about the most defensive?  And should I change homebases?  I could use Marvel Manhattan...

steve2275

Quote from: thetrooper27 on December 03, 2012, 02:20:54 AM
I like it so far... Which battlesite offers the most offensive capability?  What about the most defensive?  And should I change homebases?  I could use Marvel Manhattan...
check my sig
click on the battlesite's link....you know you want too  ;)

the 2 most popular defensive sites are
the danger room http://overpower.ca/cards/homebases/11.png
the outback         http://overpower.ca/cards/homebases/32.png

of course theres one of my fave offense sites
wundagore mountain
http://overpower.ca/cards/homebases/45.png
doom's du (OPD) and quicksilver's id specials give multiple attack options
3 different aa options 1 ab 2 good ar options
2 ac options thers also http://overpower.ca/cards/specials/966.png 1 of those
QuoteI could use Marvel Manhattan...
why would u wanna discard one your own placed cards?

your opponent having 1 less venture is always better than that

rucker73

Just a few notes to help cut down on duplicates/ future unuseables.  I would switch out the 6F teamwork for a 6S one, everyone can play it rather than just one character.  Then I would cut back on some of my specials.  Only 1 Haymaker, Mighty Metal, and 2 White Tigers.  Also I would maybe only put in two each of the level 2 and 3 power cards and add 1's instead.  If you make it to the power pack you limit yourself to a max 7 card hand when you could have the possibility of full 8's.

Basically you should try to keep the deck as streamlined as possible (close to 56 cards)  that way you can get all of your best specials out faster and you can cut down on your duplicates.
"Wade! into action!"

steve2275

maybe replace powerman with hulk so then you can play black knight or white tiger
maybe ad an ally of 5f or less

is "THUD" what you call your fighting and strength decks?

thetrooper27

I just call it "THUD" because they're all heavy hitters, and that's an action word associated with someone hitting the floor.  This guy I knew actually came up with it years ago, and it stuck.

Okay, dupes... I'm glad you brought that up because I've been wanting to discuss that, and I haven't had time to dig up any old posts that might have discussed how many of a card to include.  Here's the thing... there's a chance you'll dupe from time to time, but it seems that a deck might suffer in its power overall if you always build around never drawing a dupe.  Haymaker seems way too strong to play only one.  And it's a big attack that isn't a strength attack, so that helps with a possible spectrum ko.  I could drop back on the Mighty Metal, but I would probably only do that to shorten the size of the deck and maybe because I didn't want to have a handful of cards after he was ko'd, not because of its duplicate potential.  Maybe you're suggesting that I limit the amount of doubles I put in a deck, and not that I only play one of each special.  I can see where you're coming from there.  But even if I discard 2 cards because I drew 2 sets of double specials, and have a fistful of 7's and defensive cards, I can venture low, hit hard, and concede before anyone gets knocked out.  That might not always be the case, but alot of times it will.  I wish my deck offered a card that stopped teamworks.  That's the only place I kind of worry about.  If I get swamped with teamworks, my deck has limited defensive capability.  However, I take a chance on playing triples like White Tiger, because they MUST block that card.  If they don't, I know they hold no defensive cards, and they will likely concede, or I will punish them with something else after.  I almost want to work Maggot in this deck because that card is a must block.  I would play 3  Tunnel Worms for him, and almost once a turn (sometimes twice), they would have to deal with a 6 discard 2 if successful. 

I might be a little reckless when putting 3 specials in.  But 2 isn't a stretch for me in any case that the card is useful.  I wouldn't play two Power Man because of its limited playability.  But 2 Haymakers will always be good, unless I'm discarding one of them, and I'm not a math whiz, but out of 56 cards, it doesn't seem likely that you would often draw both of them in the same hand very often.  At least in my experience, I never have before. 

To shorten the deck, I took out 2 teamworks (the anypower and the 6f), one White Tiger :-\ and one Haymaker :'(.  The deck still runs 60 cards, BUT 2 of them are events and replaceables (Stoic Defender).  That's 56 other awesome cards.  I also took out a 2M and 3I to put in 2 1M power cards.  I swapped the Mighty Metal for Heroes for Hire's Hulk special card.  I left the Power Man because this deck has NO defense. 

This deck was brutal when I thought I could chain a million cards.  I wonder if it can hold up now...  Feel free to build it and play it online and give me some feedback.  I'd do that myself but this isn't my computer and I can't download OPOnline until I get my own.:(

steve2275

maggot is a good substitute(and adding a second hy special)
while still staying tourney legal
hopefully you can use Rapid-fire Punches with hfh  white tiger(attack #1) making hulk as the second attack then use the black knight

are you knot a fan of iron curtain?