"THUD" Deck

Started by thetrooper27, November 20, 2012, 11:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thetrooper27

I would play it, but I'm out of space in the deck as it is... Can i use Iron Curtain and target my own teammate to prevent both of them from being attacked?  I've always just assumed it could only target my opponent's team.

Do you suppose I have TOO MUCH offense?  And is there any way I could get more defense?  I think I've fixed the battlesite as good as I can.  I would have to trade battlesites, and I'm willing to do that for better defense.  In my original deck, I played training cards for defense reasons.  But I didn't know they had to be played at the top of the turn, nor did I know that teamworks and allies did as well.  I'm gonna miss punishing my opponent late in the battle.
"wow...never notice how JACKED pym is in that pic before!" -breadmaster

steve2275

it doesnt prevent you from being attacked ;)

its a hold em down(blob also has it)speaking of asteroid m
play it after mighty metal
but i dont think you can use it after cards like Rapid-fire Punches because it isnt an icon attack

thetrooper27

Colossus makes alot of attacks in my deck.  What are some good situations for this card?  If I put it in the battlesite, can I follow up Hulk or Mighty Metal or Freak Force with an activator?

steve2275

Quote from: thetrooper27 on December 04, 2012, 01:22:36 PM
Colossus makes alot of attacks in my deck.  What are some good situations for this card?  If I put it in the battlesite, can I follow up Hulk or Mighty Metal or Freak Force with an activator?
its good for when u have more chars than your opponent
good for one on one combat (or if http://overpower.ca/cards/specials/1510.png is played)
its one way to keep someone from playing that  big placed special card or placed teamwork or placed doubleshot
nope activators never used as follow up's http://overpower.ca/cards/specials/224.png altho im not sure about situations like that
altho it can be played after a card like freakforce
as his 1 attack

gameplan.exe

Also, AX-Specials are very helpful from a Battlesite when you have a character in your deck who is mostly used for defense. For myself, I've used that card out of a Battlesite quite often with Jubilee.

As for your other question, about using it against your own teammate, I suppose you could, but since it's not preventing any attacks against those characters, I'm not sure in what circumstance that could be a benefit... now, on a related note, using the DZ-Specials against your teammate has a very good benefit. It must be done offensively, but still a good play from time to time.

You'll find both of these Specials under Wundagore Mountain  :D
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

thetrooper27

I think I had DZ in mind when I made that comment.  Trick Transport?  Not the same as Iron Curtain. :o

Someone needs to explain when I can follow up with an activator, if at all, pretty please?

The Freak Force comment kinda confused me.  Are you saying I can use an activator after Freak Force?  Or if I play Energy Replica after Freak Force, if it's successful, the second attack isn't forfeited?  Or did you mean if I play Energy Replica, and an activator is the next card, I can make an attack with it?

p.s.  I was fishbowling my deck at work tonight, and the first hand I drew looked like this:

Assuming I went first, I played a Quicksilver Activator/Rapid Fire Punches, +1 Savage Strength, +1 Freak Force, Iron Fist, Mighty Metal, Siberian Strength first attack string.  I was left holding a Scarlet Witch activator and an 8S power card.  Was that a legal play?

steve2275

Quote from: thetrooper27 on December 04, 2012, 11:34:20 PM
I think I had DZ in mind when I made that comment.  Trick Transport?  Not the same as Iron Curtain. :o

Someone needs to explain when I can follow up with an activator, if at all, pretty please?

The Freak Force comment kinda confused me.  Are you saying I can use an activator after Freak Force?  Or if I play Energy Replica after Freak Force, if it's successful, the second attack isn't forfeited?  Or did you mean if I play Energy Replica, and an activator is the next card, I can make an attack with it?

p.s.  I was fishbowling my deck at work tonight, and the first hand I drew looked like this:

Assuming I went first, I played a Quicksilver Activator/Rapid Fire Punches, +1 Savage Strength, +1 Freak Force, Iron Fist, Mighty Metal, Siberian Strength first attack string.  I was left holding a Scarlet Witch activator and an 8S power card.  Was that a legal play?
no activator after freak force...but u could activate rapid fire then play freak force as the second attack
ill b back
thank you ncann

gameplan.exe

Quote from: thetrooper27 on December 04, 2012, 11:34:20 PM

Everything was legit all the way up until the Siberian Strength attack. The Freak Force allows each Front Line to make their own, singular, additional attack. Any follow up attacks for them are forfeited, though. In other words, the FE-coded cards allow only one additional attack per Front Line Teammate, regardless of what the text says on their attacking card about additional attacks.

Activators are never allowed as a "follow up" to my knowledge, but the OF cards may create a bit of a loop hole. The only thing that trips me up is the text, "If drawn card is an attack," - it's trips me up because an Activator is not truly an attack, with the exception of attacking DoW with them.

So, at the very least, you can play the OF (even after an FE, (but you'll probably want to keep it for the last follow up)) and if the drawn card is an Activator and DoW has been played, you could attack DoW with it.

As for using an Activator after OF to swap for an attack from your Battlesite - I vote yes, but I'm not sure if there's been an official ruling on it (maybe through some of the notes during the playtesting of the Marvels, or from the FB-coded cards).
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

thetrooper27

Jack will help us figure it out. 

Is placing cards a crucial part of OverPower strategy?

steve2275

Quote from: thetrooper27 on December 05, 2012, 02:33:11 AM
Is placing cards a crucial part of OverPower strategy?
absolutely
i hardly dont because i fear of targeted and revealing my cards......which breadmaster was always  on me about
even tho itll happen anyway

i mean how else will hfh go from hulk to white tiger
or hulk to the black knight then a power card
well other than an ally

play a placed ally(say from COLOSSUS) then go from hulk to white tiger 

thetrooper27

See, I don't know how, but I draw into card combos alot... I suppose because I play lots of 2 and 3 of's.  If I discard alot of cards, I usually place the rest, and concede before my opponent has a real shot at punishing me.  Then when I have 11 cards, I venture high to get my missions out of defeated pile, and then they concede.  Is Spiderman's Taunt worth making your OPD from a battlesite?  What about characters that have specials allowing you to place extra cards.  Are those specials worth using?

steve2275

im not a spiderman user so i wont comment
i do like the br special tho
http://overpower.ca/wiki/BR
i think ncann does too

you ever consider using one of the namor for "THUD"
http://overpower.ca/cards/characters/201.png
http://overpower.ca/cards/characters/203.png
either costs 20 tho

Nate Grey

My own "THUD" Deck has always been H4H, Beast: The Brute, Sentinels, and Thing (R). It holds its own pretty well but I do need to cut down on power cards since I tend to dupe them quite a bit. I've been playing with Hell's Kitchen as a Battlesite and Omniverse Homebase.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: steve2275 on December 05, 2012, 03:12:49 AM
im not a spiderman user so i wont comment
i do like the br special tho
http://overpower.ca/wiki/BR
i think ncann does too

you ever consider using one of the namor for "THUD"
http://overpower.ca/cards/characters/201.png
http://overpower.ca/cards/characters/203.png
either costs 20 tho

Taunt is a good card, but not good enough to take your only OPD spot from a Battlesite.
I do like the BR specials, from a Battlesite. I specify that because it helps get it into play earlier if you have a few Activators that can get it before your extra Specials come into hand. by far, though, Hawkeye's version is probably best. the trade off is that he cannot play it from Reserve  :-\
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

rucker73

My favorite THUD deck was HfH, Juggernaught, Serpent Society and Hawkeye in reserve.  Juggy's "Raze" can be a hell of a card.
"Wade! into action!"