Favorite Deck from ANY era

Started by CoS, January 16, 2011, 12:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoS

So I was wondering if in the 15 years some of us have been playing we have not stumbled upon the most "fun" deck to play  for our particular play style and gaming mentality?

I will list mine here and I hope a few of you will do the same:

ERA- immediately after Classic was released. PRIOR to the "dead is dead" rule. I'd say this was sometime in the fall of 2007.

Deck

Professor X, X-Babies, Onslaught, Braniac (R)

Specials:
Braniac- Brain Drain
Onslaught- Baptism by Fire, Cannon Fodder, Dark Enigma, Raw Power
Professor X- Mindwipe, Psionic Hold, Telepathic Coordination
X-Babies- Li'l Colossus, Li'l Longshot x4, Li'l Dazzler, Li'l Rogue

Teamworks
6E+IS
6I+ES
6S+IE
7E+IS
7I+ES
8E+IS

Ally- <=5F-3F
Artifact- Book of Darkhold

Power Cards:
E- 7777,8888
F-0
S-1,2,33,44
I-6666,7777
M-1,2,3,44

Mission Set: Fatal Attractions
Events: Best Laid Plans (pull if you don't have them 1) cannon fodder, 2) Mandarin Activator, 3) Book of the Darkhold and 4) a negate)

Home Base: Madripoor
Activators-
Wolverine- snikt
Wolverine – heal
Psylock- illusion
Electra – infiltration
Electra-Shuriken
Omega Red – Carbonadiam coils
Omega Red- Drain life force
Mandarin- disintegrate
Mandarin- electromagnetic shield
Mandarin- Mind Control [OPD]
Mandarin- Master Tactician
The Hand- Ninja
The Hand- Snakeroot

My Goal/Strategy with the deck:

I want to get Cannon Fodder, Mind Control, and Book of the Darkhold on the X-babies!

Your Opponent's negate character is your first priority to KO. Hold your negate for defense of your Cannon Fodder or Mind Control. X-Babies should be taking ALL the hits and with Book of the Darkhold the only thing they can't block is a 8 or higher hits. With Baptism of Fire you can remove all the "possibly killing" hits from X-babies permanent Record.

BigBadHarve

That deck still works with the 'dead is dead' rule. It just requires a lot more strategic absorption before the babies go down. Nice!

I think it's a toss up for me - my Beloved Avenger's Mansion team of Hulk, Black Widow, Captain America and Thor or my powerhouse Max 6 team (that I like to call 'Trick or Treat') - Ghost Rider, Morbius, X-Babies and Spider Woman.

Avengers is designed with Fatal Attractions, best laid plans and Down But Not Out for a devastating no specials round. I streamline it so that I'm light on specials (3 for each front line, 2 teammate avoids fro Widow in reserve) but the deck is heavy on teamworks. Outback as a site for some extra oomph and you have a viable and fun team.

'Trick or Treat' was designed as an Anti-Marauders/X-babies team, but it has a punch against others. With the babies, Ghost Rider and Morbius in the front line you have a team that's resilient to damage. So, depending on the type of hits you can often absorb a few without worry. The object is to take hits and hammer your opponent into conceding. Both Morbius and the Babies have negates (Morbius' negate is limited, but does get use.) All three have huge assault cards, and Spider woman is a touch of supplemental defense.

Back in the day, I went Danger Room for site, for the defense, but now I use Krakoa. The key OPD being Colossus' Siberian Strength to make the opponent drop 3, in addition to some nice variety of cards in the site. Thunderbird's avoid draw, and his 3 fighting (if not successful draw 1) give a nice edge too.

As for missions, Maximum Carnage with Lambs to the Slaughter to keep the opponent from punking out right when you have him, Miracle worker alive to clean up some inevitable damage and the JLA any mission that cleans up any character with an inherent ability.

Fun times!

-BBH

CoS

I just noticed a typo; the x4 lvl 7E power cards are actually x4 lvl 5E power cards. Sorry. I'd still use the deck but lacks the superiority it once had.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: CoS on January 18, 2011, 01:46:23 PM
I just noticed a typo; the x4 lvl 7E power cards are actually x4 lvl 5E power cards. Sorry. I'd still use the deck but lacks the superiority it once had.

I was wondering why all the 7s, that makes sense.

I think the 'Dead is Dead' ruling was one of the few official rulings that the OP Legion did right. It significantly balanced the game out with regards to creating unkillable characters. This was particularly noticeable with Grunge, a far more broken character than the X-babies in my opinion.

Still, the superiority of a deck should really stem from the player, not the deck itself. Your deck design and concept is really sound, but not every player would be able to pull it off. It's how you make the team that defines your skill, not your ability to play a deck that can't lose.

As I said, your strategy is sound, and fair. If you can pull it off, you'll have a kickass team, but there are enough ways to disrupt your strategy to balance it out. That is the ideal, I would say.

An unbeatable strategy is no good for the overall game, but a challenging strategy might actually get people thinking on how to get around it. OP Legion had a habit of taken strong strategies and limiting them, rather than expanding on the counter-options.

Sorry, I was about to rant. I'll stop now. :P

-BBH

a_noble_kaz

I think my favorite deck to play was a Dept H team I put together a while ago.

Omega Red, Alpha Flight, Sabertooth, Wolverine (R)

Omega Red: Tendril Tactics, Secrete Pheromones, Carbonadium Coils
Alpha Flight: Sasquatch, Madison Jeffries, Guardian x2
Sabertooth: Blood Hunt, Wildcat Attack, Gov't Operative x2
Wolverine: Wounded Animal
These are the basics, sometimes I'll add an extra Carbonadium Coils or Wild Cat Attack, etc. Also, I really love Blood Hunt, and I feel it's a criminally underused card (as is Sabertooth himself; "no AO?! no AS?! well I'm not gonna use him!")
Madison Jeffries is a Marvels card, so I take it out if/when playing people that don't play with The Marvels set.

Battlesite: The Vault
Activators: I change up the specials depending on what OPD I feel is appropriate, usually it's a toss up between Raze and Battering Ram (incidentally two of my favorite specials, I love Juggs!) and I always run with Vertigo, an AD and AO from Serpent Society and an AR from someone too.

Strategy:
Bludgeon them with Teamworks! I keep this deck special light and power card/teamwork heavy. The Dept H innate is great, and this frontline has the best potential for teamworks, so I use them liberally. Occasionally I'll add in dup teamworks, but usually I run with one of each playable to minimize discarding. One of my favorite strategies is to flush out defense and power cards and get a concession out of them. Then BAM!, play Bloodhunt for the KO! Sometimes it's even worth putting in a Dangerous Mind for Sabes, because if you can play it after they've used up their power cards and conceded, you actually stand a good chance of landing it. And let's face it, what's cooler that SABERTOOTH landing a level 8 INTELLECT attack!

This battlesite is one of my favs, and it helped me to realize that Sabertooth (imho), is generally a better option that Wolverine! Suck it Logan!

Post Merge: July 11, 2011, 08:53:27 PM

Oh, and I guess the era would be Post-Discontinuation. My brother played it in high school, but stopped after a while.
Then a few years ago he got an OOP booster box for Christmas and started OverPower fever with us! So now I have an extensive collection, as well as some Homebrew (Link for me, Solid Snake and Otacon and Meryl for my brother), printed The Marvels cards (love those LOs baby!), and also a steadily growing DCIII contributed by our friend Brad (Ranerdar on these forums) featuring some very cool specials (i.e. for Two Face: acts as a lvl 4 e/s attack, must be blocked twice, if successful acts as a level 8 e/s hit [opd], and for The Flash: acts as a lvl 12 energy attack, if successful opponent must sort through draw pile card by card and pull the first power card, power card hits The Flash [counts toward venture, opd] (called Reckless Speed)).

Hot Rod

I swapped heroes in and out all the time, but I generally tried to use The Ray or Onslaught in every deck.

At the 97 (I think?) comic con in Chicago I used something like:

Holocaust - Professfor X - Scarlet Witch/Invisible Woman

The Ray

Sometimes it would be:

Holocaust - Onslaught - Scarlet Witch

The Flash

The most success I had with a deck was a pre nerf Four Freedoms with:

Invisible Woman - Mr Fantastic - Human Torch

The Thing

Human Torch's inherent was crazy abusive versus energy decks (I remember having games where I'd suck up most of the opponents power cards under Human Torch).
In fact Four Freedoms was so good at that time even a 10 year old could win a big tournament with it!

gameplan.exe

I love using the Danger Room. I'd love it more if the Aspect wasn't nerf'd the way it is, but nevertheless I love this team. Great Inherent Ability for a team with varied Power Grids. It's technically post-The Marvels, but only for 2 cards, so I could swap those out for virtually anything.

Gambit / Beast / Bishop / Rogue (R)

Gambit - HN, HN, BJ, EJ, AT
Beast - AO, AO, CD, AS, EB (The Marvels)
Bishop - AS, AQ, AC, AY, AG, OG (The Marvels)
Rogue - AS

Teamworks - 6E, 7F, 6F, 7S, 6S, 7I, 6I
Artifact - Book of Darkhold (to put on Gambit to make him a beefy 6-6-4-7!)
Power Cards
7 FSIA
6 FSI
5 FFA
4 FFS
3 ISS
2 IIS
1 ISS

Mission - Fatal Attractions
EVENTS - Best Laid Plans..., A Call To Arms, Shockwave Rocks The World!

Then I'll either use Any Heroes AG, DB, ZZ, AR, AA, and BQ (we have an agreement not to use DoW and P.Leach)

or Battlesite: Mojoworld -
Longshot - AC DO
Psylocke - AG
X-Babies - AO CC
Dazzler - BY
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

rucker73

I rarely use decks more than a few times each and I love to use obscure or little used characters.

Some of my favorites over time have been

Ravencroft Home Base  (multi power card hits do not count for spectrum)

Rhino, Hobgoblin, Green Goblin
Reserve: Doc Ock

Since I am going to end up listing 5 or 6 decks I won't bother with a card by card breakdown.

This deck has a lot of nice little specials that force placed card discards, and each front line character has a couple of pain in the neck offensive specials (6 or 7 attacks).  The goblin inherents allow then to each have boosted attacks as well. 

There is not much defense on this team so you need to go with a defensive battlesite like the outback and rely on the home base inherent to absorb the multi power attacks.

Deck 2

Muir Island Home Base (may remove one level 1 or 2 power card hit each hand)

Nightcrawler, Professor X, Shadowcat
Reserve: Banshee

A great card advantage deck, especially when played with Any Heroes and DoW, and if you can get the aspect card out quickly.  You get decent defense from Nightcrawler, with ok personal D from Shadowcat and Prof X.

I'm sure that many of you already play a variation of this deck though.

Deck 3

Super Patriot, Captain America, Heroes for Hire
Reserve: Hawkeye

This one is simple and that's why I like it.  Use the crossing mission set and hope that the KO one teammate event comes up early to wreak havok on your opponents front line.

Deck 4

These next two are a little more original in idea I think.

3 stat Blob, Iron Man, 3 Stat Super Skrull
Reserve: Metallo

This is a pure card burning machine.  Played with any hero's and DoW you could conceivably eat up almost 20 cards from your opponents deck.  When it works it works great.  Of course there is very little defense so if you don't hit some of your cards it could be over for you rather quickly as well.

Deck 5

Invisible Woman, Adam Warlock, Psycho Man
Reserve: Dr.Strange

This one is a little more playable if you are playing OPonline, so that you can utilize Dr.Strange and Adam Warlock's "The Marvels" specials.  Use this team along with the Age of Apocalypse missions and throw in Hideout Discovered, and Infinite Army Scatters as your events.  Those along with Psycho Man's Hate Special should do a number on your opponents teamworks.  I play the deck with no team work cards of my own, relying on Ally cards and Adam Warlock and Invisible Woman's FE specials to string attacks.

Again I have been hit and miss with this deck, but when it works it works very well.

and now Two more that heavily rely on OPOnline and "The Marvels" specials

Deck 6

Sanctum Sanctorum Home base

Ghost Rider, Adam Warlock, Silver Surfer
Reserve: Dr.Strange

With the addition of the Marvels specials and DoW making any hero's so powerful this deck is almost unfair in the damage it can do.  I put it on here as one of my favorites simply because I have a soft spot for most of these characters, seeing as how I got into comics when Infinity Gauntlet was hitting the shelves, in which AW and SS were heavily featured and that time period was also when GR was reigning supreme.  But again this team isn't nearly as powerful without the Marvels specials.

Deck 7

This one is my current favorite and it features the Wasp, so it can't be done anywhere other than in OPOnline

Being an Avengers fan this one is tons of fun

Wasp, Thor, Original Armour Iron Man
Reserve:Hank Pym

Just throw it together.  Use the Crossing mission set with Avenger's Assemble Event. and have it 'er.

Sorry for the long post.  Hope some of these were new to a few of you.
"Wade! into action!"

Hot Rod

That Sanctum Sanctorum deck looks pretty fun. Even without an 8 on the front line you still have 5 teamworks to play with, and you have a semblance of a defensive net.  With Sattered Image as an event set I think you could win some convincing games with this deck.