*UPDATED* OP Championship Deck: Looking for Critique/ Assistance/ Opinions

Started by Kyoujin, July 17, 2014, 10:12:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyoujin

EDIT: Deck has since drastically changed from the original posting.  Below is the new deck. 

I'm wondering if using Any Heroes is a better choice, but I really like the amount of defense Outback provides. 

I'm also only running 2 Beast AOs to reduce the amount of duplicates the deck has.  The outback has 2 negates, but I'm worried 4 negates isn't enough. 

I also considered taking out the 8I because MrF is the only one who can use it, but I REALLY like having  the extra there with his AV.  The only problem is, I automatically place it on him, and the other 8 sometimes gets drawn and discarded.

This is the deck I'll be using for the Championships in October.  I would really appreciate some advice!

The Starjammers, Mr. Fantastic, Dark Beast, Silver Sable (R)

Homebase: The Omniverse

Battlesite: The Outback

Jubilee NB DB
Wolverine AG AA
Longshot AC DO
Sentinels GA EE
Reavers AO BJ
Dazzler AD

Mission: Infinity Gauntlet
Event: Gods of Stone!

Specials

Starjammers: AD KB HQ HN AE HN CH
Mr. Fantastic: FV AG HQ AR AV
Dark Beast: CD AO X2 EB AS AA
Silver Sable: AD X3

Teamwork
8I FS
7I FS
61 FS
7F IS
6F IS

Allies
5E 3E
5S 3S

Power Cards
1F 1S
2S 2S
3F 3F
41 4M
5A 5M
61 6A
71 7A
8I 8A

chuu

I would take out an AG for Mr. Fantastic, he's always a target. i would throw in an avoid for star jammers.  Use tracking senses for wolverine instead of the AG and let Angel have the AG.  Needs another ally card in my opinion.  I would also add in another 1 PC, another 6 PC and switch the 8I to 8A.

Kyoujin

Why 8A instead of 8I?  Mr. Fantastic is the only one who can use an 8.  Is there some kind of strategic reasoning?  The onyl reason I can think of is to prevent "avoid an attack with an intellect icon" from being used agains it.

DiceK

I would use the 8I.  No one plays avoid 1I attack.

chuu

i was thinking in case of power leech and other cards like it.

Kyoujin

That IS a good point.  The deck already has a heavy intellect presence, so replacing the 8 won't hurt it at all.  I also like the idea of removing an AG; I now have a vacant slot, but I'm not sure what would be the best choice to put in.

Another Ally is a good idea, but I'm tempted to put in another power card, due to the heavy Teamwork presence.  I'm not sure I want to add in another special for anyone; my first choice is The Starjammers AD.

In regards to changing the battlesite, I'm not sure it's worth adding in Wolverine's OB, mainly because it's really just a 5 and I can't take advantage of it's secondary ability.  It would also increase the chances of drawing dupes, as I'd have to add in another activator for Angel.  I'll give it a shot, though :)

Is it worth swapping out Polaris' DB for her GF?  My intuition is saying no.

EDIT: I switched up the power card distribution and added an ally card.

steve2275

i say
let angel be the AG  and have COLOSSUS be an  AC(to shift away from reed or the starjammers)
http://overpower.ca/tools/battlesites.php

Kyoujin

Are AC generally considered useful?  They can shift an otherwise fatal attack away and also be redirected to an avoid, but using two cards to avoid one attack goes against the cardinal rule of card advantage, doesn't it?

steve2275

thats what reed is for
to get 3 more
if reed it about to getAC to the starjammers to
then reed can draw 3 cards

breadmaster

ACs seem bad on paper, but if you put one in your battlesite, or throw in the JLA any, you'll seldom regret it being there.  the shift in a battlesite is particularly good, because it's usually paired with another card, and can be pulled in an emergency

Kyoujin

That's a good point.  Thanks for the input.

The deck has changed quite a bit since posting.  Hopefully for the better!  Here's the new build:

Mr. Fantastic, The Starjammers, Dark Beast, Silver Sable (R)

Homebase: The Omniverse

Mission: Infinity Gaunlet
   Event: Gods of Stone!

Here's the specials I'm using.  There are some that (I believe) are noticably absent, but the build is so tight, I feel I'm forced to.

Mr. Fantastic
AR
AG
AV
HQ
FV

Dark Beast
AS
AO X3
CD
EB

The Starjammers
HN
HN (OPD)
HQ
CH
AD

Silver Sable
ADx3

Battlesite: Krakoa
Angel HO, AG
Colossus OC, AR
Polaris DB, EB
Sunfire NJ
Thunderbird NK, LO
Wolverine AA, AC

Universe: Ally
* 5E 3E
* 5S 3S
* 6A 1E

Universe: Teamwork
* 8I FS +2+3
* 7I FS +2+2
* 6I FS +1+2 
* 7F SI +2+2
* 6F SI +1+2

Power Cards
1S
2S 2S
3F 3F
4F 4M
5A 5M 5I
6I 6I 6A
7A 7I 7I
8A

Mr. Fantastic's FV also seems good on paper, but could be huge if executed correctly, much like any AC.  Thoughts?

Kyoujin

Exactly.  That's the best case scenario for sure.

I've play tested this deck quite a bit since its inception.  It feels like it's missing defense, I'm afraid.  I'm going to change the battlesite from Krakoa to The Outback and work from there. 

Dazzler AD, ??
REAVERS AO, BJ
JUBILEE DB, ??
LONGSHOT AC, DO
SENTINELS GA, EE
WOLVERINE AA, AG

I'm not sure which of Jubilee's other specials to run.  I really like her NG, but I think her HK can be really useful, if used properly.  Does her HK mean that place cards must also be played?  Is that card THAT literal?

For Dazzler, most likely NJ, but I think her IA could be really useful in defense of MR F.

I'm also considering taking out The Starjammers for Captain America, but that might be a little zealous.  However, he fits the grid (better, in some ways), he has a bit more defensive capabilities, and he has a BA, among other great specials.  Plus, he's another 8 on the team.

steve2275

i say keep the starjammers  for their special power

while its only 12 venture
its 12 venture and a ko'd opponent

not to mention opponents loss of cards inability to attack take big damage and you get to draw for more