*UPDATED* OP Championship Deck: Looking for Critique/ Assistance/ Opinions

Started by Kyoujin, July 17, 2014, 10:12:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyoujin

Yeah, the 'jammers are pretty good...

'Corsair' is an interesting point.  I wouldn't think that players would generally run it, as playing it doesn't create card advantage with its secondary ability.  Granted, it's off suit for the deck, but I never see AEs being run.

I am, however, still learning quite a bit. 

steve2275

learn by practicing against yourself

spectrum ko and 15 venture
my point is you dont have to combine   ;)
of course if your opponent has no cards left  then go for it

AO user

That chain ain't kosher.  Wiki says AE specials combine with PCs and your deck doesn't have any energy PCs. Also CHOD is unique(?) in that teammate adds the PC.  Another thread mentions silver surfer chipping in.  IF you could combine with specials AE + bone breaker or skull buster from Pierce would be pretty sweet but...sigh.

Kyoujin

So what, in the general opinion, is the better card to include for The Starjammers: AE or KB?

I personally think the KB is a great addition to the deck.

Kyoujin

The outback as a battlesite is fantastic! There are any number of defensive capabilities at your disposal. 

I'm toying with the idea of only including two of any card as a maximum in the deck.  It will further decrease the amount of duplicates drawn and allows for more cards to be included in the deck itself.  This, however, decreases the amount of the defense the deck, if only slightly.  I'm using this method in another deck I'm play testing, and it seems to work well.  I'm not sure I like the idea of decreasing major defense cards, though.

Onslaught

I think this is a very interesting lineup, but you may want to maximize one of its strengths instead of trying to do a little bit of everything. Single 8 stat, single blanket defense card for the team, awkward stats, and an over-reliance on your Battlesite for defense is risky. Jammers + Fantastic gives you the double HQs, but there is nothing else in the deck to augment them (like a DS special from the site, a Malice type effect, etc). So you have many of the downsides of a Mega Draw deck (shaky defense) without most of the upside (quick wins before DOW lands). I would normally suggest dropping Jammers for Iron Man and considering a switch to Any Heroes, but I quite like Jammers + Fantastic as a duo. Instead, try switching your battlesite to something with a GL special and running Fatal Attractions as your missions.

As far as individual card choices go, it is extremely hard to justify running more than five specials for the Jammers. Both of their level 4 attacks have some niche applications, but they aren't warranted here. Definitely cut Mr. Fantastic's Marvels card, in a best case scenario its value is a character specific and conditional level 8 power card. It's junk, even if you had Vertigo. Running 0-2 AD for Fantastic and 0-1 CD for Dark Beast are decisions based entirely on preference, but I don't see reason to run them here. Fantastic will always be the first target in this deck, meaning the AD is automatically a dead card and the CD is most likely a dead card until much later in the game. If you switch to a battlesite with more than 1 way to get attacks off Fantastic (whether it be through shifting or a floating effect), then x1 AD becomes reasonable. You should never run more than x1 of an Ally card. Your power card distribution is almost optimal, but definitely cut the 5i for an 8i. From there it's mostly preference, but personally I would drop a 6 for the third level 8 powercard. 

Kyoujin

Thanks very much for the help Onslaught!  Really appreciate it.

I have change the deck slightly since posting it, but your criticism is still very relevant, as some of the questions you've brought about are worth revisiting.

I've chosen Any Heroes over a battlesite, as you suggested, and switched Mr. Fantastic with for Captain America.  The grid becomes tighter, Cap is able to defend himself more efficiently (as well as his teammates), and he has more offense.  Now I have to figure out whether or not his AD is worth including, and if so, how many.

chuu

For Cap, i usually limit it to one AD, he's got a hugh target on his head.

Kyoujin

Yeah, agreed about the AD.

What about AoA Wolverine in place of Cap?  I lose the second 6I in the grid, but I can use Canucklehead, which arguably, is more useful than cap's AD given the right situation.  Also, an 8+ special , a-next fetch chain, and it replaces a 20 grid for a 19, which would let me use Beast in place of Dark Beast, giving me another teamwork (6S) to use.

OP GOD

Don't stray to far from your Original Idea. 

Your original Build of Fantastic/Jammers/Dark Beast/Sable, had a lot of big boy cards.  I actually ran and tested this deck in a few meet ups, however, I chose any heros.  Defence was sparse, card advantage through placement was phenomenal, although I found when my HQ's were absent in the first 2-3 hands the game came down to pure card advantage and good old fashioned luck.  Big Boy Cards WIN Games!

See you at the Championships

M

OP GOD
OP GOD

~ To play me, is an HONOUR.