ALL DC Decks!

Started by BigBadHarve, February 01, 2011, 01:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBadHarve

So, I've been thinking about this lately.

I'd love have an ALL DC theme for one of our potential summer tournaments.

So, my question to the masses for fun - Give us some samples of an ALL DC team you think would be fun to play. It doesn't have to be tournament worthy, just fun or thematic.

I like my Batman Villains team:

Joker
Riddler
Bane
Ra's Al Ghul (reserve)

Mission is 'Eye of the Storm'

I have played it once or twice online against a standard marvel deck. I lost, of course (remember, it's built only using DC cards - no battlesite, no leech etc.), but it didn't do as poorly as I thought. I'd be curious to try it out against another all DC team.

-BBH

Onslaught

I think winning is fun, so here is my fun DC deck:

Brainiac, The Ray, Robin, Flash (R)

There's no negate in DC, so your Draw 3, Surfing the Net, and Tapping the Speed Force are all guaranteed to work and win you venture. Then, you have some fairly killer (as far as all DC goes) teamworks, with a a fair amount of stat backing (Ray and Brainiac 8e, Brainiac and Robin 7i, Robin and Flash 6f).

My cousin prefers using all DC heroes when possible (he still uses the good any heroes and battlesites and such), so I gave him a deck of:

Brainiac, Riddler, Joker, Robin (R).

This one even works out thematically, as you have all villains up front - and Robin has been captured and put in reserve while being brainwashed. Look at the art on Riddler's "Death Trap" to see how this theme is all tied together.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Onslaught on February 01, 2011, 03:44:09 PM
I think winning is fun, so here is my fun DC deck:

Brainiac, The Ray, Robin, Flash (R)

There's no negate in DC, so your Draw 3, Surfing the Net, and Tapping the Speed Force are all guaranteed to work and win you venture. Then, you have some fairly killer (as far as all DC goes) teamworks, with a a fair amount of stat backing (Ray and Brainiac 8e, Brainiac and Robin 7i, Robin and Flash 6f).

My cousin prefers using all DC heroes when possible (he still uses the good any heroes and battlesites and such), so I gave him a deck of:

Brainiac, Riddler, Joker, Robin (R).

This one even works out thematically, as you have all villains up front - and Robin has been captured and put in reserve while being brainwashed. Look at the art on Riddler's "Death Trap" to see how this theme is all tied together.

Well gee, if you're going to be like that... :P

Rucker and I used to play online frequently this past summer - we pretty much made a new deck each time and got to the point of challenging each other to identify the theme. That was almost more fun than the match itself.

Stupid OP online had to go and konk out on us. Boo-urns.

-BBH

rucker73

Loved your Old Bald Guy Deck.  And the fact that we were both nerdy enough to come up with decks built around the Champions.
"Wade! into action!"

rucker73

And to stay on topic my All DC deck that I have been working with lately is Superman's Super-Villains

Lex Luthor, Brainiac and Parasite with Hazard in reserve.
"Wade! into action!"

LRoq617

It seems like standard Energy cheese would work pretty well here. You could go with a lineup of:

Green Lantern, Metropolis SCU, The Ray, Brainiac/Captain Atom/Superman/Flash (R).

The frontline seems like the best way to go with the good amount of specials that they have (Gun, Imagination, SCU's Avoid, Heavy, Sniper, Ray's Avoid/OPDs), but reserve is up in the air. They all have teamworks to contribute. Brainiac has the 8 to match Ray, Captain Atom can play a 6F teamwork from reserve, and Superman has the best offensive OPD (Man Beyond Tomorrow > Plasma Bolt > Brain Drain). Flash is obvious, and of course there's Tapping the Speed Force.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I just realized that Brainiac may not be legal if said event is following the H/V rule, which it most likely would.

Hot Rod

Haha, "Old Bald Guy Deck" that's hilarious.

But yeah, all DC would be pretty fun.  The H/V code thing would probably need to be played with so the energy megadraw doesn't get out of hand.

LRoq617

It also seems that putting together a decent fighting lineup is pretty difficult. You have 3 8-stats (WW, Batman: Avenger, Azrael), but you only have 17 points left. Catwoman: Whiplash fits the bill, but she's a V-code. Maybe it just wasn't meant to be?

An intellect V deck looks pretty solid as well. I threw one together on OPD with Neron, Luthor, Riddler, and Bane in reserve, though he could be swapped out for Penguin. Penguin brings more teamworks, but you'll end up having 2 that are only playable by him. It's not very big on defense, but it has a lot going for it offensively.

BigBadHarve

The code rule doesn't prevent you from mixing characters with the Hero/Villain code, is simply restricts what cards can be played by them. Heroes can only use card with a Hero code, and Villains with a villain code.

It's not really that debilitating.

Quote from: LRoq617 on February 04, 2011, 01:38:46 PM
It also seems that putting together a decent fighting lineup is pretty difficult. You have 3 8-stats (WW, Batman: Avenger, Azrael), but you only have 17 points left. Catwoman: Whiplash fits the bill, but she's a V-code. Maybe it just wasn't meant to be?

Funny you mention this lineup, because I have this (almost) exact team built. I'm using regular Batman instead of Avenger, though, and regular Catwoman. WW's 8 is already backed up with Azrael, and the two offsuit teamworks from Batman are handy. Catwoman backs up one of the intellect teamworks.

-BBH

LRoq617

Quote from: BigBadHarve on February 04, 2011, 02:25:20 PM
The code rule doesn't prevent you from mixing characters with the Hero/Villain code, is simply restricts what cards can be played by them. Heroes can only use card with a Hero code, and Villains with a villain code.

It's not really that debilitating.

Funny you mention this lineup, because I have this (almost) exact team built. I'm using regular Batman instead of Avenger, though, and regular Catwoman. WW's 8 is already backed up with Azrael, and the two offsuit teamworks from Batman are handy. Catwoman backs up one of the intellect teamworks.

-BBH

Sounds pretty solid. My question is: who goes in reserve? Azrael and Catwoman are both good candidates, seeing as they each have only one really good special (10f vs. discard 5).

BigBadHarve

Sounds pretty solid. My question is: who goes in reserve? Azrael and Catwoman are both good candidates, seeing as they each have only one really good special (10f vs. discard 5).

Azrael is in back with the 10.

Catwoman is up front with only two specials - Prowling by night and her 5.

I'm playing The Brave and The Bold for the kill card, so she's my cannon fodder.

-BBH

LRoq617

Quote from: BigBadHarve on February 04, 2011, 03:32:24 PM
Azrael is in back with the 10.

Catwoman is up front with only two specials - Prowling by night and her 5.

I'm playing The Brave and The Bold for the kill card, so she's my cannon fodder.

-BBH

Seems pretty good, BBH. Strength seems kinda... meh as well. Doomsday's a pretty good 8, whereas Darkseid is pretty much the opposite, sans the teamwork support. But if you run him, you're killing the rest of your Sum Deck. It seems like Metallo (not a bad choice) and maybe Killer Croc would be your only other options.

Wait... Doomsday has a 6 fighting... that gives you 6 teamworks to use along with Darkside... this may be pretty decent after all. I mean Darkseid's specials aren't ALL bad, right?

BigBadHarve

Quote from: LRoq617 on February 04, 2011, 03:51:40 PM
Seems pretty good, BBH. Strength seems kinda... meh as well. Doomsday's a pretty good 8, whereas Darkseid is pretty much the opposite, sans the teamwork support. But if you run him, you're killing the rest of your Sum Deck. It seems like Metallo (not a bad choice) and maybe Killer Croc would be your only other options.

Wait... Doomsday has a 6 fighting... that gives you 6 teamworks to use along with Darkside... this may be pretty decent after all. I mean Darkseid's specials aren't ALL bad, right?

Darkseid's not bad. He's really only one killer special short of being sick. His 7 is decent, and in an ALL DC context not easy to block. His 'Lord of Apokolips' OPD is a very handy one. Like Dr. Doom, you can potentially nail your opponent with a 6 hit string. Ally, followed with Lord of Apokolips, declare 4 attacks, follow with 3 power cards and Desaad (5 int, play additional special) and finish with Omega effect.

Not and easy string to pull off, but I've done it a few times and when it works it's deadly. Very few teams can stand up to that much assault. You're guaranteed to KO at least one character, maybe more if they are already wounded.

Of course, the trick is being able to go first... It's a winner only if you can get it out.

If I were using Darkseid and Doomsday together, I'd balance Darkseid with Killer Croc and either Metallo or Knockout for reserve. Croc has a couple of good cards, and Metallo/Knockout at least back up one of your offskill teamworks from either Darkseid or Doomsday.

-BBH

LRoq617

Quote from: BigBadHarve on February 04, 2011, 04:06:06 PM
Quote from: LRoq617 on February 04, 2011, 03:51:40 PM

Darkseid's not bad. He's really only one killer special short of being sick. His 7 is decent, and in an ALL DC context not easy to block. His 'Lord of Apokolips' OPD is a very handy one. Like Dr. Doom, you can potentially nail your opponent with a 6 hit string. Ally, followed with Lord of Apokolips, declare 4 attacks, follow with 3 power cards and Desaad (5 int, play additional special) and finish with Omega effect.

Not and easy string to pull off, but I've done it a few times and when it works it's deadly. Very few teams can stand up to that much assault. You're guaranteed to KO at least one character, maybe more if they are already wounded.

Of course, the trick is being able to go first... It's a winner only if you can get it out.

If I were using Darkseid and Doomsday together, I'd balance Darkseid with Killer Croc and either Metallo or Knockout for reserve. Croc has a couple of good cards, and Metallo/Knockout at least back up one of your offskill teamworks from either Darkseid or Doomsday.

-BBH

It does seem pretty decent, although Metallo in reserve seems kind of counterproductive. His best special removes all of his hits and switches him with reserve, so how does that work? Knockout is probably better, since if she gets tagged in, she can play 8,9,10 to potentially KO one of their characters. Croc could probably get away with playing 4-5 specials (7s, Avoid, maybe 2 of 6i), but his issue is his grid. He's there for the points, I guess.

I still think I'd stick with the Energy build overall, but that's for competitive reasons, I suppose. GL, Ray, and SCU make a killer frontline, though I'm still undecided on the reserve. Big attack (Supes), drawing/Reap (Flash), teamwork from reserve (Atom) or backup 8 (Brainiac). Tough call really, though I can't argue with the availability of options.

Onslaught

If you HAVE to use Catwoman, might as well run her on the frontline since her Confusion style special works for the entire team. I'm not sure why they never printed that on the card, but yeah you can use it to avoid teamworks for Catomwan or teammates.