Deck Stats from 2013-2014 tournaments

Started by Jack, October 29, 2014, 09:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

I've spent some time to go through all the decks played at our tournaments in 2013 and 2014. There are 100 decks played in total. Here are the most used cards in each category:

Battlesite or Any Heroes
Any Heroes 54

Onslaught's Citadel 15
The Outback 6
Stark Enterprises 3
Age of Apocalypse 3
Morlock Tunnels 3

The Any Hereos/Battlesite split is close to 50/50 with Any Heroes slightly edging out. Onslaught's Citadel is the favourite Battlesite with its many tricks.

Homebases
Team OverPower 46
Marvel Universe 34
Four Freedoms Plaza 9
Omniverse 5
Avenger's Mansion 2
Cape Citadel 2

Not a surprising result with the number of Any Hero decks.

Missions:
Shattered Image 29
Infinity Gauntlet 22
The Crossing 18
Fatal Attractions 11
Maximum Carnage 10

Again, not surprising that Shattered Image was the #1 mission used. Mostly paired with Any Hero decks. On the flip side, playing against Any Heroes was either a killer mission choice or Infinity Gauntlet by default.

Reserve Character:
Dr. Strange 13
Hawkeye 12
Dr. Strange (3) 11
Silver Sable 10
Magneto (3) 8
Thing 6
Spider-Woman (3) 5
Morph (3) 5
Namor 4

Strictly counting variants, Dr. Strange's 4 stat is the clear #1 to use in a deck with the avoid in reserve and 8E 6I stat. Probably why he has a movie... Not counting the variant, he's featured in roughly 1 in every 4 decks.

Characters:
Spawn 25
X-Babies 20
Scarlet Witch 18
Mr. Fantastic 15
Beyonder 14
The Starjammers 14
Dr. Strange 13
Invisible Woman 12
Hawkeye 12
Thing 12
Dr. Strange (3) 11
Magneto (3) 10
Ghost Rider 10
Heroes For Hire 10
Silver Sable 10
Hulk 10
Dark Beast 8
Professor X 7
Iron Man 7
Beast: The Brute 7

The top 3 are Spawn, X-Babies and Scarlet Witch. Spawn is featured in 25% of the decks. Dr. Strange (both variants), Hawkeye, and Silver Sable are exclusively used in the Reserve. Magneto 3-stat sees some front line time in 2 decks.

Feel free to do your own analysis.

teesaw

I found this post to be very interesting to read.

I'd love to see win data as well.   
"I could almost taste the victory...but ultimately it was denied, as is usually the case." - Nate Grey

My Customs

Latest Customs: Black BoltIron Fist * S.H.

Jack

Meanstreek

Jack,
Thank you for all the work you do for our beloved game.
Respect

AO user

True that, Meanstreak.  Thanks to Jack for all his good work for this community!

BlueFire

Jack

I was cleaning up the wiki to make sure the decks had the right entries in it. I managed to aggregate all of the decks used since August 2011. I'm excluding April 2011 since that tournament was an anomaly with the rules. There were only 3 tournaments prior to 2013 so it won't make a huge dent in the statistics.

Total decks: 135

Battlesite/Any Heroes
Any Heroes: 73/135

Onslaught's Citadel 21
The Outback 10
Stark Enterprises 7
Morlock Tunnels 4
Age of Apocalypse 3

Homebases
Team OverPower 62
Marvel Universe 43
Four Freedoms Plaza 12
Omniverse 9
Avenger's Mansion 3
Cape Citadel 2

Missions
Shattered Image 36
Infinity Gauntlet 30
The Crossing 26
Fatal Attractions 16
Maximum Carnage 12
Dark Phoenix Saga 6

Reserve
Dr. Strange 19
Hawkeye 15
Silver Sable 13
Dr. Strange (3) 12
Magneto (3) 8
Thing 8
Spider-Woman (3) 7

Characters
Spawn 28
X-Babies 28
Scarlet Witch 21
Mr. Fantastic 20
The Starjammers 20
Beyonder 19
Dr. Strange 19
Hawkeye 15
Invisible Woman 15
Thing 15
Ghost Rider 14
Heroes For Hire 13
Magneto (3) 13
Silver Sable 13
Dr. Strange (3) 12
X-Man 12
Dark Beast 11
Hulk 11
Iron Man 10

chuu

Jack

I finally entered all the data into a proper database for use with the new site and I'd figure it would be fun to run some proper stats on it.

There are 140/297 matches played since 2013 that featured Battlesite vs Any Heroes (as opposed to Battlesite vs Battlesite or Any Heroes vs Any Heroes), it's a bit less than 50%.

Out of those 140 matches, Any Heroes won 82/140 of them, or 58%.

Of the other 58 decks that played against Any Heroes and won, 15/58 of them used Onslaught's Citadel, 9/58 used Asteroid M, followed by The Outback (7), Ship (6), Stark Enterprises (6).

There were 32 matches in the elimination rounds, 21/32 of which featured at least one team using a Battlesite. 6 of those 21 were Battlesite vs Battlesite.

MHC

QuoteThere were 32 matches in the elimination rounds, 21/32 of which featured at least one team using a Battlesite. 6 of those 21 were Battlesite vs Battlesite.

How do these values change with each elimination round?  I ask this because the top 8 bracket of a 24 person tournament would be made up of one third of the participants in the tournament.  This suggests that you aren't getting just the "best" decks in the elimination rounds.  The win percentages and pairings probably differ once you get to later rounds of bracket play.   It would also be interesting to see what percentages of decks are Any Heroes vs. Battlesites at different rounds of bracket play (e.g., quarters vs. semifinals vs. finals). 

BlueFire

I am curious how much of a skill bias there is. 

I would love to see the numbers for all games that do not include games played by either the top 2 or bottom 2 rated players.  That would remove the outliers at both ends of the ratings spectrum. 

I would guess that any heroes vs battlesites will become a much closer %.

teesaw

I think the information that's being compiled here is very helpful. 

Jack - for the folks who are looking for more niche analysis of the data, would you be willing to share the raw data? 
"I could almost taste the victory...but ultimately it was denied, as is usually the case." - Nate Grey

My Customs

Latest Customs: Black BoltIron Fist * S.H.

Jack

It would be a lot more work to exclude the top/bottom players from the data. It's doable, just a lot more work involved.

I can probably provide an extract. It's all data I've gathered from the wiki so in theory you could mash it together yourself.

BlueFire

No worries Jack.  I just thought if you had it in a database you might be able to pull it quickly.

The real question is what will be the first battle site deck to again dominate the tournaments?