Battle site help

Started by Ravencroft, February 16, 2011, 12:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravencroft

I am building a defensive minded deck and need some help in building it.
The deck is...
Captain Mar-Vell
Reyes
Serpent Society
Deathbird

Which Battlesite should i choose? I am leaning twords The Outback.

Onslaught

Whenever I don't have an 8 stat character, I usually try to make up for the lower overall venture by using Krakoa for my battlesite. It has a lot of card advantage, which helps a smaller stat deck like this a lot.

BigBadHarve

Because your team is heavily defensive, you have a little more freedom with your choice of a site.

As Onslaught says, Krakoa is a great site, with varied defense and tricks.

You might also consider the Concrete jungle. If you are using 'The Marvels' then New Warrior's 'RAGE' card is an especially nice addition.

-BBH

Onslaught

You can't use a battlesite if a character from your tem is on it, so Concrete Jungle is not legal.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Onslaught on February 16, 2011, 08:41:41 AM
You can't use a battlesite if a character from your tem is on it, so Concrete Jungle is not legal.

Oops. Sorry about that. Yes, aside from having Serpent Society on your team, Concrete Jungle is a decent option.

Wundagore Mountain and Stark Enterprises might also serve you well. Stark Especially. Again, if you're using the Marvels, you can use Hawkeye's new OPD. In conjunction with Captain Mar-Vell's 'Rick Jones' card, you can twice remove Venture and switch out the reserve character in a single round.

So many options.

-BBH

gameplan.exe

Just curious, but if using Krakoa, which cards would you guys use to gain so much card advantage? Or, in general, which cards would you use? I've never really considered Krakoa to offer much, in terms of a Battlesite...
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

LRoq617

Quote from: ncannelora on February 16, 2011, 11:12:13 AM
Just curious, but if using Krakoa, which cards would you guys use to gain so much card advantage? Or, in general, which cards would you use? I've never really considered Krakoa to offer much, in terms of a Battlesite...

Siberian Strength is a tremendous OPD to use for card advantage or, if you're running the Marvels, Millionaire Playboy. Stoic Defender is also awesome if you use Marvels. If you're not running Marvels, Keen Senses is also great for the LO slot. Apache Warrior also replaces itself if it's blocked. So most of the implied card advantage seems to come from Thunderbird.

drdeath25

I love Krakoa. I dont play using Marvel's cards, but...

As mentioned in the post above the OPD Siberian Strength is kindof like your power leech, and then the thunderbird cards you draw a card to replace after using them. So you can potentially make your opponent discard 3 cards, and have you gain 2 cards, by only using these 3 cards under your battlesite. Plus other than the card advantage cards, the rest of the battlesite is really strong. I definetly think Krakoa ranks among the games best battlesites easily, with Onslaught Citadel and The Outback also ranked up there. it really depends on the deck you are running though, there is always a different "best" battlsite based on your deck strategy.

BigBadHarve

Krakoa is indeed a rockin' site. But you're right, you do need to tailor it to the team.

It's main weakness is a lack of a negate, but if you have a negater or two on your team, you're fine. I use it with a mojoworld base, or my Trick or Treat deck, both of which are double negaters.

But it has enough tricks, and defense to keep you safe and happy.

Yay, Krakoa.

I'm in a rush right this minute, but I'll post my standard krakoa build a little later.

-BBH

gameplan.exe

Okay, that all makes sense as I look at Krokoa's potential. I'm also a big fan of Angels Neuro-Toxin card.
I think maybe I'll flesh this battlesite out for some use soon.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

Post Merge: July 08, 2011, 04:04:33 PM

Speaking of surprising battlesites, I recently used Falls Edge Compound and it was doing some fun, fun stuff for me. I used THE MARVELS, and it looked like this:

Falls Edge Compound
Forge - CD, GA
Havok - FI
Mystique - AG, CA
Polaris - DB, EB
Sabretooth - AD, AR
Strong Guy - HN, BS

I was using it with X-Men: OT and so the potential was huge with Team+2 to all actions and Strong Guy's BS being usable for my whole team. I never got the payoff with that one. I was able to use Mystique's CA well, though, pulling all my hits off of Cable and putting them on Jubilee instead. Good stuff on that site.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

As promised, my standard Krakoa build: (I tweak depending on the needs of the team, of course, but this is the basic)

Colossus
Siberian strengh
Haymaker

Thunderbird
Keen senses
Apache Warrior

Polaris
Manipulate magnetism
Direct energy flow (from marvels)
OR
Energy Warp (if not using Marvels)

Angel
Neuro Toxin
High Flyer (marvels)

Wolverine
Tracking senses
Fighting instinct (if NOT using marvels)
Snikt (if using marvels)

Sunfire
Solar Flare
Controlled burn (marvels)
Ionize matter (if no marvels)

Hot Rod

I see you finally put Haymaker in there!

As for my suggestion: I would go with Stark if using Marvels and the AoA event set + Sovereign 7.

If you're not using Marvels I'll +1 the Krakoa motion.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: HotRod on February 17, 2011, 05:11:12 PM
I see you finally put Haymaker in there!

I usually use Haymaker. For that particular buildup I was trying out the organic steel.

-BBH

Ravencroft

Quote from: ncannelora on February 17, 2011, 02:05:47 PM
Speaking of surprising battlesites, I recently used Falls Edge Compound and it was doing some fun, fun stuff for me. I used THE MARVELS, and it looked like this:

Falls Edge Compound
Forge - CD, GA
Havok - FI
Mystique - AG, CA
Polaris - DB, EB
Sabretooth - AD, AR
Strong Guy - HN, BS

I was using it with X-Men: OT and so the potential was huge with Team+2 to all actions and Strong Guy's BS being usable for my whole team. I never got the payoff with that one. I was able to use Mystique's CA well, though, pulling all my hits off of Cable and putting them on Jubilee instead. Good stuff on that site.

I know this is going to blow your mindbut i usually use falls edge when making a fighting deck because, in the store i play in, mystique got a fighting version of storms gathering winds.

Most of the time i use Outerspace when making a battlesite, its fairly balanced depending on the deck i switch between starjammers 11 and the draw 3.

BBH you saved me a whole lotta trouble. Im going to go with your Krakoa build, but with out the marvels.
But another question for the forums at large, what battlesite if i wanted is just pure offense. Muir Island?

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Ravencroft on February 17, 2011, 09:17:12 PM
BBH you saved me a whole lotta trouble. Im going to go with your Krakoa build, but with out the marvels.
But another question for the forums at large, what battlesite if i wanted is just pure offense. Muir Island?

Cool, glad to be of assistance!

For pure assault, I'd actually go with Cape Citadel as a viable option.

You've got a nice variety of offensive specials that are tricky to block. Plus a couple of key defensive cards - avoid, avoid/draw.

Check it out.

-BBH