Worst Characters in Overpower

Started by Palatinus, March 02, 2011, 11:30:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palatinus

This is a subject that has been dealt with in bits and pieces in some posts, but I am curious as to who the worst characters are in terms of playability and why.  When I played back in the day the DC characters seemed extremely underpowered special-wise versus the marvel characters.  Are there any characters that are just plain unusable?  Are there characters that are generally considered terrible but someone has found a niche use for them?

rucker73

Some of the worst in my opinion are Deathlok (3 OPD's, all grid modifiers)  Warlock (23 points, 0 Specials) and of course Nightwing...  lol  poor nightwing
"Wade! into action!"

BigBadHarve

Quote from: rucker73 on March 02, 2011, 12:20:32 PM
Some of the worst in my opinion are Deathlok (3 OPD's, all grid modifiers)  Warlock (23 points, 0 Specials) and of course Nightwing...  lol  poor nightwing

Deathlok can be played. He did get a JW, which isn't bad. And his Marvel's card rocks. (Cancel out your opponent's inherent abilities? Yeah, I can make use of that.)

Warlock, yeah, well I guess we'll never know IF he would have gotten specials to warrant his point cost...

Nightwing. Poor Nightwing. I mean, you CAN use his cards... they are not all unplayable, per se... :P

I think most characters have at least one card that's worth using, even if it doesn't make them 'playable' overall.

-BBH

Palatinus

Looking at Nightwing, it really does seem that the creators of Overpower really hated him.  It's hard to believe that in Justice League they gave him a special that gives him two terrible specials.  That's just really mean.  As for Warlock, he really needs an inherent ability like Beyonder.  Something like "May play any KO'd teammate's non-OPD specials would make him better.

Nate Grey

Warlock did leave me scratching my head wondering if he'd ever get any Specials.  ??? An inherent like Palatinus mentioned would have been nice to make him playable.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Nate Grey on March 05, 2011, 01:44:33 PM
Warlock did leave me scratching my head wondering if he'd ever get any Specials.  ??? An inherent like Palatinus mentioned would have been nice to make him playable.

It's one of those cases where I'm sure they would have given him cards... but of course the game died and that was that.

But I wish they wouldn't produce characters with no specials. They did that with Angel too. What were they thinking?!?!

-BBH

The Dude

In a vacuum I'm sure we could all name some max 6 DC heroes as being truly terrible, but if we're talking about comparative cost to use as well I'd have say Doc Ock ranks abysmally low in that he is expensive at 20 points with the exact same grid as Beast. Yet while Beast is an elite character with his negates and 9 and maybe 1 or 2 other Special one might play; Doc Ock doesn't have a single special I would care to use. Yea some of them might be borderline playable (like his AV OPD) but even those are the kind of things that neither fire the imagination nor can't be found dozens of other cheaper/better heroes.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: The Dude on March 09, 2011, 08:38:34 PM
In a vacuum I'm sure we could all name some max 6 DC heroes as being truly terrible, but if we're talking about comparative cost to use as well I'd have say Doc Ock ranks abysmally low in that he is expensive at 20 points with the exact same grid as Beast. Yet while Beast is an elite character with his negates and 9 and maybe 1 or 2 other Special one might play; Doc Ock doesn't have a single special I would care to use. Yea some of them might be borderline playable (like his AV OPD) but even those are the kind of things that neither fire the imagination nor can't be found dozens of other cheaper/better heroes.

I don't mind Doc Ock, actually.

You're right, he's certainly not at the level of Beast, but he does have worthwhile cards. The 2-8s and his Hillshire farms cards help out immensely. All he's really missing is one killer card. Something unique, that as you say, fires the imagination for some villainous actions. ;)

But he definitely not amongst the worst characters around.

-BBH

breadmaster

spider-man is an interesting case

at 21 points, he's costing a bit, but his cards aren't completely useless.  his 3 stat is a teamwork machine, but at 23 points, a bit dear.

so you have homebase options.  both sites he's on, however, have negative inherents (no multi's for daily bugle, 1 mission in defeated to start for big apple).

neither of these are crippling.  but when you add together his cost, avereage at best specials and negative homebase inherents, you come up with a character that people aren't exactly dying to use

as to why this puts him in a worst characters thread,  the guy is the bloody FLAGSHIP character for a company. i know that the popular characters came out in the first sets, but lots of them were made usable through new specials/homebases

so as not to be totally negative, his marvels card would have been a huge step in the right direction.  and his specials did have some of the best artwork in the game

Palatinus

What about Galactus?  Is he totally unplayable?  Also, does he get an intellect rating?

Onslaught

He costs 28 so most of the time you're better off using Beyonder, plus he's a 3 stat character so when you include more 3 stat characters to help offset his cost you add +5 for them instead of +4, which hurts a lot. He doesn't get an intellect stat.

That being said, having 9 teamworks is nothing to sneeze at, and you can choose from  lots of events that will barely hurt you like "No One Per Decks," "No Specials," "KO a character," and so on.

For a while I used Galactus, Scarlet Witch, 3-stat Doc Samson, and Deathbird in reserve with The Crossing and Outback. Fairly decent deck if you are looking to use him.

rucker73

Just wondering how you multiplied 8 x 3 and came up with 28.  Also I don`t think I understand the whole 3 stat characters being +4 or +5.

Please clarify.
"Wade! into action!"

Onslaught

Sum deck rule goes by how many stats you have. 16 stats = max deck of 76 points. 15 stats (three 4-stat characters, one 3-stat character) = max deck of 72 points. 14 stats (two 4-stat characters, two 3-stat characters) = max deck of 67 points.

So for a common example, you can think of 3-stat Spider-Woman as costing 16. Or as previously mentioned, Galactus is 28.

metaphist

That's probably still confusing for him if you don't know a few other things...

With all characters even in a 16-stat deck, they would all be worth 19, so 19 can be thought of as your baseline for considering cost.

The point cap for swapping in one 3-grid character drops you from 76 to 72, -4 points. They're basically saying that you should treat the 3-grid character as if they have a 4 intellect, so you can add 4 to their total to simulate their 4-grid cost (Spider-woman's 12 goes to 16, Galactus' 24 goes to 28, etc.). 3-grid characters can cost as low as 10, so you can get as low as 14 when adding them to a 16-stat deck, the cheapest possible option to save room for a high cost deck.

However, adding a second 3-grid character drops the cap 5 points this time instead of 4, and likewise for the third. So those next two characters are +5 instead of +4, which is what Onslaught was getting at. Since Galactus is already a 3-grid, your at +5 for the second two when trying to offset his cost.

rucker73

Thank you Metaphist that was much, much more clear.  I usually use the OP Online deck builder so it does all the calculations for me, so I tend not to worry about it.
"Wade! into action!"