Holocaust

Started by department_J, February 03, 2015, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

department_J

I think he has a lot of potential. I've never played him, but want to work him into a deck. Has anyone made a deck with him that worked out? Can you suggest other characters/battlesites that would go well with him? Thanks!

steve2275

he and thor (40 points)
put spider-woman in reserve for defense and to keep up with holocaust's and thor's energy and strength (at 59 points now)
maybe scarlet witch (for another negate) or crux and her 2 GJ specials (17 and 16 points respectively)

and dont be afarid to use

thats how id roll

department_J

Really awesome deck idea. Thanks! I always thought that only the attacking AA character can make the follow-up attack to their special though. Isn't that right?

drdeath25

Yes that is correct.

Holocaust is a great character in Overpower. He only costs 17 points,  with a 7 and 6 stat. And also has a negate, and a 8M. Plus, "Apocalyptic Minion" is one of the best non-opd cards you can have on a battlesite, a true battle winning card.

As for a Holocaust deck, He teams up very well with Spawn or The Reavers. Also very well with OR in place of Scarlet Witch or X-Man. How about this for a basic deck off the top of my head, that is quite powerful:

Holocaust - 7-2-6-2
Spawn - 8-7-3-3
The Reavers - 5-7-6-3
Hawkeye (Reserve) - 4-7-4-2 (Note: You could also use Dr. Strange 3-Stat here, but Dr. Strange decks are for Canucks who lack originality)

Its got duel negates, which immediately makes any deck competitive. Plus, a way to get rid of DoW before your opponent draws it (Deathstrike), a team 9 or less avoid, and of course, has Hawkeye shooting shit from reserve. Whats not to love?

Its capable on Offense and Defense. Basic deck, but will hold its own against almost any competitive deck in the game.

Edit: On second thought, I also like the idea of Holocaust-Spawn-Sentinels-Silver Sable(reserve) for a more defensive version. Its probably not as good as the deck mentioned above, but would be a little more fun to play I think. Two team 9 or less avoids, a team powercard avoid, a negate, a couple 7 attacks in off-stats, a way to turn off specials for a single character, and a way to turn off attacks for a single character, and of course some BIG ASS teamwork followups. Throw in some Any-Heroes and let em rip!

Edit 2: OR... How about Holocaust-Iron Man (3-Stat)-X-Man-Spider-Woman(Reserve)... Yes! I SAID Iron Man 3-STAT! But seriously, you could use Cable instead, but no really, seriously, now I need to stop.

steve2275

i forgot about xaos

DoktorSleepless

For a flavor-win (this is actually a team from comics, if you pretend Bastion just another Sentinel) that's also a pretty solid deck, try:

Holocaust
Sentinels
Onslaught
Bastion - Reserve

I believe you have the option of Onslaught's Citadel as homebase (an interesting homebase, but I'd skip it) since Bastion is a clone so technically all of your characters should be legit. But regardless, what you have is the frame of an Energy-Strength deck that can support high-level Intellect attacks as well. You also have multiple characters with tournament worthy Specials:

Onslaught - AR, GB are def. tournament level
Sentinels - AR, CZ are def. tournament level
Holocaust - AQ, AO are def. tournament level
Bastion - Same as Sentinels.

And those are only the cards that are DEFINITELY tournament staples. There's a few other possibilities, but as a starting point this is a good aggressive deck, looking to pound the opponent primarily with Energy or Strength attacks. You could go with some battlesite to access Hydra's Baron Von Strucker Special, which is basically a build-a-baby-Galactus in this deck.

Realistically though, as a tournament deck this is probably at least slightly weaker than the Reavers/Hawkeye/etc deck below. It doesn't have direct access to Deathstrike for precise removal of DOW (although if you build it as an Any Hero deck, that's a non-issue) and it doesn't have a Reserve character who can beat down.

chuu

at my first tournament, this is the deck that rocked the juniors:

Onslaught
Holocaust
The Ray
Professor X - in reserve

department_J

Wow. Great ideas. I don't have Ray, so I'm thinking Holocaust, Onslaught, X men OG Team, Professor in reserve? Still have good offense and a decent chance to cut down on discards if Xmen get knocked out..?

Any good arguments for using Xaos or Crux instead of Xmen?

I don't have Spawn either, but I love Hawkeye's ability to shoot shit from reserve.

Might also try that Sentinels/Bastion team. Sounds ruthless but I am just worried someone would be stiffed on power cards. What would the breakdown of power cards look like in a deck like that..? LOVE Sentinels though. Nothing is more satisfying than when Nimrod hits.

By the way: I love this forum. Everyone is very creative and helpful. Thanks guys.

Tussin

you can use this to boost Bastion's Energy and make him more useable in deck :P

DoktorSleepless

Shhhh! Quit giving away my secrets!