Danger Room

Started by gameplan.exe, March 08, 2011, 12:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameplan.exe

As I've said before, Gambit is my favorite comic character. As such, I was bummed when he only ever appeared on 1 Location. Bummed even further when the Aspect for that Location was essentially nerf'd by Errata.

Nevertheless, I'm never disuaded from using some one, simply because they have limitations - or even if they (or at least their gaming rep') simply sucks. I mean, I've exclusively played with the SF 49ers in Madden for years. Even though they've been mostly terrible since '02.

So, assuming that you were forced to use Gambit (as I am, by my fanboyism), who else would you put on a DANGER ROOM Team?

I've actually played with most of the possible rosters from that battlesite, but I can never really decide which I've liked the best. Keep in mind, I do play with THE MARVELS, so Angel actually has a few good cards, too.

My most recent roster was Gambit, Beast, Bishop, and Angel:Horseman (R).
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

Oooh, I love Danger Room, and have tried it a few ways.

My most recent was a lot of fun...

Iceman, Gambit, Beast with Rogue in the reserve.

Grid is split, but it can be worked around, and you get some good teamworks out of it.

I've also tried it other ways.

Gambit, Bishop, Iceman and Rogue: Brotherhood is a good choice if you want a common grid.

Angel: The fallen is a good choice over Rogue for Grid backup, though his usefulness otherwise depends on whether or not us opt to use The Marvels.

You could also try a strength theme:

Rogue, Beast the Brute, Angel: Horseman, and Gambit. Power grid isn't too wonky, you have three 6s in fighting, and 3 in str.

The aspect still has it's uses, so I put it in, but don't rely on it for any game-breaking strategies. It's great against lockdown teams, though. :)

I'd like to see the homebases get used more. Such a wasted opportunity to make them shine when they introduced Aspects. These cards should have been brutal and unique. Like characters, some locations really got the shaft.

-BBH

gameplan.exe

Good points, BBH. I don't know why I never even considered using Rogue:BH with this team to go all Energy!

It's also worthwhile to say that when I use Gambit, I tend to also use either Book Of The Darkhold or Adamantium Tentacles, to get him a 7-grid.

With THE MARVELS, and my most recent Roster, I was looking for good Card Advantage. I was planning on using FATAL ATTRACTIONS. I figure using BEST LAID PLANS... has interesting implications with Bishop's OG (which is DTR), with Gambit's FK, with Angel's JA, and with the DANGER ROOM's Inherent Ability. I could stack those 4 cards knowing full well that I'll have immediate access to them.

I just scratched out the whole deck on paper. I might actually post it, if I can recover from the key-lashing I got from Onslaught and DrDeath  :'(
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Dog

Quote from: ncannelora on March 08, 2011, 02:05:11 PM
I just scratched out the whole deck on paper. I might actually post it...

Go for it!  I'd like to see it.

gameplan.exe

Now that I've extended the olive branch (or is it a white flag?),
http://www.beenhereandthere.com/SMF/index.php?topic=184.30
maybe it's time to come out of my shell again.

Before I get started, a note about my style/collection:
My collection consists of X-men Heroes and one-time Heroes (Magneto-yes, Bastion-no, etc). The only other Heroes I have are from Gotham.

Having said that, there are lots of Battlesites I simply cannot make. I realize that's a potentially huge limitation I've placed on myself, and it puts me at all sorts of disadvantages. However, like i've said before, losing NEVER stop me from playing  ;D

On to my deck (as usual, * denotes THE MARVELS) -

Characters/Specials
Gambit - 8A, 8A, BJ, FK*
Beast - 9F, AO, AO, EB*
Bishop - 9E, 8M, HD, OG*
Archangel - JA*

Power Cards
7FFIIA, 6FFII, 5FFA, 4FSS, 3FSS, 2FSI, 1FSI

Teamwork Cards
6E, 7F, 7F, 6F, 6S, 7I, 6I

Tactic Cards
Book Of The Darkhold
Pym Particles

EVENTS
Best Laid Plans...
Shockwave Rocks The World!
Down But Not Out!

ASPECT
Holographic Attackers

Here's where I need to tread carefully, white flag held high

Battlesite
MUIR ISLAND
Colossus - LO, AG, AC
Shadowcat - CC, AD, HQ

I really like the pairing of BEST LAID PLANS... with DANGER ROOM because you have the potential to stack 4 cards on top with absolute knowledge of being able to access some, or all, of those cards, via the Inherent Ability of your Home Base. Also, I like the 2 sabotage Events for their potential to give me some turn/card advantage to get my Artifacts and Aspect into play.

Also, being able to stack my deck, then being able to use Gambit's FK against my opponent's stacked deck!

Also, being able to stack my deck, then being able to use Bishop's OG to negate whatever Event my opponent cleverly stacked!

Anyway, what are your thoughts? What other X-Battlesite could I use to get some good card advantage? Should I simply alter MUIR ISLAND somehow (more/less/different activators)?

I promise to take it easy on the feedback I get  :)
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

Get that flag out of my face! :P

There's some good potential in Muir Island as a site. I was looking at it before (interestingly, also with my Danger Room deck) but never got around to trying it.

You've gone a little light on cards in your site. Is this because you're short on activators and specials? Or are keeping it light for DoW reasons?

I generally go two of each character in my sites. I find that works fairly well. If there's a special I particularly wish to hedge my bets on, I'll put three.

Ideally, one defense and one attack/trick per character balances things nicely.

For my money, Banshee's Shatter Shriek is the OPD of choice in that site. Though Colossus' Siberian Strength is also sweet.

-BBH

gameplan.exe

Thanks, BBH  :)

no shortage on the Activator/Specials available (as long as they're X-men, I have them). There was an element of keeping it light for DoW, but in general, I feel like there's advantage to keeping this deck as slim as possible, to get some of the trickier cards together. Though, I suppose takin my deck from 56 to 60 isn't too much, in order to get more versatility out of Muir Island

As for Shatter Shriek or Siberian Strength, why those instead of Computer Genius? to avoid my own dup's? Also, it seems like I whif on that BY a lot =[

Let's say I went with 10 cards from Muir Island, which would you recommend?
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

Quote from: ncannelora on March 08, 2011, 05:17:57 PM
No shortage on the Activator/Specials available (as long as they're X-men, I have them). There was an element of keeping it light for DoW, but in general, I feel like there's advantage to keeping this deck as slim as possible, to get some of the trickier cards together. Though, I suppose takin my deck from 56 to 60 isn't too much, in order to get more versatility out of Muir Island

As for Shatter Shriek or Siberian Strength, why those instead of Computer Genius? to avoid my own dup's? Also, it seems like I whif on that BY a lot =[

Let's say I went with 10 cards from Muir Island, which would you recommend?

I generally prefer leech type effects against my opponents over draw effects for myself. Not that draws are bad, obviously, but they aren't always effective. Costing your opponent cards is always effective (unless he negates, of course). Shatter shriek is particularly effective against other battlesite teams. The advantage Siberian Strength has over Shriek is that it's 3 cards straight, no restriction. Shatter shriek is a bit of a risk if your opponent doesn't have fighting icons in hand, but deadly if he does. It's a gamble.

Here's a possible Muir Island build, including Marvels:

Banshee - Shatter Shriek and Luck o' the Irish. (Vocal hypnosis is a good non-opd if you use Colossus' OPD)
Prof X - psychic shield and read mind.
Colossus - Metal barrier and Haymaker. (Siberian Strength if you remove Shatter Shriek)
Shadowcat: Ninja Adept and Soulsword
Nightcrawler - Trick transport and Tactical Teleport (Trick with vocal hypnosis is great for locking down your opponent.)
Captain Britain - Britain's Champion and Prodigious strength (You may even stick battleworthy in - even though it can't help against DoW, it does have other uses.)

And this is just one possibility. Depending on the needs of your team, you could obviously rearrange things. Reduce or expand. But with those options, you are creating a lot of potential grief for your opponent.

Gotta run!

Cheers!

-BBH

gameplan.exe

Thanks for the feedback, BBH.

I was initially thinking of expanding the Battlesite to 11 cards (including lots of the cards you mentioned). I think ultimately, I'll just have to toy around with it till I'm happy with it.

Post Merge: July 08, 2011, 04:14:20 PM

Huh. I just remembered why I went with the HQ instead of the OC or the BY on this battlesite, I wanted to limit the number of attacks on the battlesite for the use of SHOCKWAVE ROCKS THE WORLD! (because if they're attacks, I won't be able to use my Activators that hand to attack).

I also just realized the other reason I went with only 6 cards on the Battlesite. It was to limit the damage I take from my own DOWN BUT NOT OUT! by only having a total of 19 specials in the entire deck.

Plus, there's the whole, stack 4 with BEST LAID PLANS... then use the HQ to get 3 of those 4 cards! And the LO to get the 4th!

Best laid plans, indeed...

I love the idea of having lots of options for maximizing the use of these 4 mission cards.
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

breadmaster

what was the errata on the danger room aspect?

BigBadHarve

Quote from: breadmaster on March 08, 2011, 10:25:46 PM
what was the errata on the danger room aspect?

The text on the Aspect says - '...power card attacks may not be defended by opponent's special cards already in play.'

The errata changed it to - '...power card attacks are not affected by opponent's special cards already in play.'

-BBH

breadmaster

hate to sound thick, but what's the difference?

gameplan.exe

- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

gameplan.exe

so, on paper, i've rebuilt this team with some slight alterations.
(as usual, * denotes THE MARVELS) -

Characters/Specials
Gambit - 8A, 8A, BJ, AT, FK*
Beast:TB - 9F, AO, AO, EB*
Bishop - 9E, 8M, HD, OG*
Archangel - JA*

Power Cards
7FFSA, 6FFF, 5FFA, 4SSS, 3FSS, 2FSS, 1FII

Teamwork Cards
6E, 7F, 6F, 7S, 6S, 6S

Tactic Cards
Adamantium Tentacles
Pym Particles

EVENTS
Best Laid Plans...
Shockwave Rocks The World!
Down But Not Out!

ASPECT
Holographic Attackers
A-Next

But, I'm stuck between two battlesite ideas:

Battlesite: DEPT H
Wolverine - 5I, FD* (OPD)
Maverick - LO, GI
Sabretooth - AD (personal, fighting) (instead of A.Flight's, since I could use w/Wolvie's FD)
Deadpool - AG

Battlesite: MUIR IS.
Shadowcat - CC, HQ (OPD)
ProfessorX - AH
Colossus - LO
Nightcrawler - AD
Banshee - AG

- -
In both cases, I went light because the angle for this team is card advantage, so I want those good cards asap. Light on the Battlesites themselves, to best avoid problems with DOWN BUT NOT OUT, and also as a tactic to reduce my vulnerability to DoW.

with DEPT H
+ I love FD / has the 5I OP, to get either ASPECT / has an LO / GI is very helpful for both Events DBNO & SRTW
- light on Defense in general, only 1 real Card Advantage card (the LO) to go with Event BLP...
with MUIR IS
+ has an HG / has an LO / Prof's AH can be very helpful next to CHARM / has 5 cards for defense
- doesn't do much to play off either Events DBNO or SRTW

On the surface, Muir Island seems like a better option, but the more I look at playing Mavericks LEGACY REGRESSION on BISHOP, the more I love it! With his ability to recycle either DBNO or SRTW, having that Special played to him has a lot of potential.

What are your thoughts?
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Overtime

nchanncalora-

The problem with decks that don't have an 8 stat is that you are going to struggle to reach 56 cards since you are missing out on a level 8 teamwork and the level 8 powercards. This can be overcome if you are eschewing an 8 stat character in order to fit in a bunch of people with really great specials, but that's not the case here. To fill this deck up without duping a ton, you're going to have to have a pretty fat battlesite. I'd suggest using The Outback for access to Deathstrike since you'll be needing a ton of activators.

I'd also use Iceman since he has the best specials of the bunch. How about Iceman, Beast, Bishop, Gambit in reserve with just an 8(I know he's your favorite). Don't bother with the grid altering artifacts, that's what your homebase inherent is for. Also, Fatal Attractions is not the right mission set for this deck (especially if you add Iceman).