Making Gambit Playable

Started by drdeath25, March 08, 2011, 07:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drdeath25

In overpower, there are considered to be "Overpower Characters" and "Weaker Characters", due to a combination of power-grid and special cards. However, even the weaker characters can be played competitively, in surprisingly good decks.

Gambit is one of these characters, that by himself, yes, would be considered weaker. However, if you put him in the right environment, he can be quite a powerful dude. I was looking for idea's to make Gambit more playable in a competitive atmosphere, and I came up with this:

Gambit, Starjammers, The Hand, Hawkeye (R), Outback, Infinity Gauntlet. (Or Bullseye in reserve w/ any heroes & shattered Image). Your opponent with be getting smashed by 8A Specials, Huge teamworks, and nice 'effect' special cards, to punish them with, if they didn't bring a negate to the table. Now all of the sudden, Gambit looks quite powerful as part of this TEAM, right?

Has anyone else thought of making Gambit the centerpiece of a competitive deck? What do you think of my deck idea, any idea's or suggestions? I am open for critique on this one.

Gambit is my favorite character. I'm probably the biggest Gambit fan there is, which is why I was able to come up with this deck

Onslaught

I used to use a deck like this with Nick Fury instead of Gambit, since he backs up The Hand's 6 intellect. Gambit brings another off color teamwork, which is always a nice addition.

This is the best Gambit deck I've ever seen, kudos on being the number one Gambit fan.

Jack

Why not Deathbird in the reserve?

drdeath25

Quote from: Onslaught on March 08, 2011, 08:01:59 PM
I used to use a deck like this with Nick Fury instead of Gambit, since he backs up The Hand's 6 intellect. Gambit brings another off color teamwork, which is always a nice addition.

This is the best Gambit deck I've ever seen, kudos on being the number one Gambit fan.

Thanks, but that does NOT answer my question AT ALL. This thread is for Gambit Decks only, I don't care about Nick Fury, i'm not his #1 fan! Anyone have any idea's for GAMBIT DECKS?

Post Merge: July 11, 2011, 08:42:31 PM

Quote from: Jack on March 08, 2011, 08:02:42 PM
Why not Deathbird in the reserve?

I considered her, but I think the front-line's got a good enough grip on fighting defense. I thought Hawkeye's cards would compliment this deck better than DB's.

rucker73

I'm really glad that you two are from California, and there is little chance that I would have to interact with either of you person to person.

Good Gambit deck though...  but it looks like it may be vulnerable to DoW...
"Wade! into action!"

drdeath25

Quote from: rucker73 on March 08, 2011, 10:54:42 PM
I'm really glad that you two are from California, and there is little chance that I would have to interact with either of you person to person.

Good Gambit deck though...  but it looks like it may be vulnerable to DoW...

LOL  ;D

Overtime

Quote from: drdeath25 on March 08, 2011, 07:54:35 PM
Has anyone else thought of making Gambit the centerpiece of a competitive deck? What do you think of my deck idea, any idea's or suggestions? I am open for critique on this one.

Gambit is my favorite character. I'm probably the biggest Gambit fan there is, which is why I was able to come up with this deck

You use moves I've never seen before. I have much training left to do...

Ranerdar

So, now we've sunk to mocking and condescension.
I'm polymerized tree sap and you're an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns on its original trajectory and adheres to you.

gameplan.exe

As Gambit's #1 fan, it doesn't bother you to put him on a team with The Hand (and possibly Bullseye)? I mean, I know they aren't the Assassins Guild, but they are an assassins' guild... how about completing the affront and putting Marauders or Sabretooth in for Starjammers?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

Quote from: ncannelora on March 09, 2011, 01:24:46 PM
As Gambit's #1 fan, it doesn't bother you to put him on a team with The Hand (and possibly Bullseye)? I mean, I know they aren't the Assassins Guild, but they are an assassins' guild... how about completing the affront and putting Marauders or Sabretooth in for Starjammers?

Well, he's also a competitive Overpower player, and must balance the two mindsets. ;)  Love of a character and the ability of the team to function as a whole.

Aside from using Danger Room as a base, I haven't really given much thought about putting Gambit on a deck myself. I loved that they gave him an 8 any power attack! Certainly pairing him with the other 8 any power characters is a good strategy...

Let me think on it and see if I can't come up with something fun.

-BBH 

gameplan.exe

Incidentally, I did pair Gambit with the Starjammers in a comic-related team.

Gambit / Starjammers / Jubilee / Deathbird for some Gambit & The X-Ternals fun! I used Age Of Apocalypse (of course) and AnyHeroes (because I found no suitable Battlesite that fit their AoA books well).

It worked pretty well. I did use the Super Soldier Serum on Jubilee, too. Getting it into play before Deathbird came up was pretty easy. It has good umph from Jubilee, too (w/THE MARVELS).
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

Quote from: ncannelora on March 09, 2011, 01:49:05 PM
Incidentally, I did pair Gambit with the Starjammers in a comic-related team.

Gambit / Starjammers / Jubilee / Deathbird for some Gambit & The X-Ternals fun! I used Age Of Apocalypse (of course) and AnyHeroes (because I found no suitable Battlesite that fit their AoA books well).

It worked pretty well. I did use the Super Soldier Serum on Jubilee, too. Getting it into play before Deathbird came up was pretty easy. It has good umph from Jubilee, too (w/THE MARVELS).

I have my Gambit team. It's a strange one, but I think I likes it! :D

Gambit, Callisto, Sentinels and Morlocks in reserve.

Battlesite: Concrete Jungle.

Mission: The Crossing.

I'll test it out online if I get OP online running again.

-BBH

gameplan.exe

it's interesting that you put your max-8 in Reserve. Is that to kill Callisto?
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

Quote from: ncannelora on March 09, 2011, 04:08:00 PM
it's interesting that you put your max-8 in Reserve. Is that to kill Callisto?

Pretty much. I'll see if it works in testing. ;) 

-BBH

rucker73

I was thinking of maybe working something around Charm.

Maybe a front line of Reavers, Gambit, X-Man with The Ray in reserve

Use Fatal Attractions to best laid plans your BJ/JW specials and an activator to maybe give you a venture boost...  and bet large.

You should have enough D from X-man and Reavers to fight it out as well.

Would work even better if you could play Thief of Hearts in the same battle that Best Laid Plans is played
"Wade! into action!"