Keeping defense character alive

Started by breadmaster, March 08, 2011, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

breadmaster

my problem is defence.  when i put a character in that is supposed to be the defensive anchor for the team, how do you keep them alive.

for example, invisible woman (great inherent and great defensive cards).  the problem is, she's instantly targeted because of this.  is it simply a matter of knowing when to concede?  her being max 6 has left me wanting (especially on low power card draws early).  should i place what i can, concede, and take the lumps? 

my second question is easier to answer. (i think)  is there ever a situation where attacking the battlesite is wise?  suppose you get an early draw heavy with anypower's or those specials that are beefy battlesite attacks (marauders comes to mind).  wiping out a dozen cards is great, but is the venture cost too high?

Onslaught

For a defensive character like Invisible Woman, you might want to try augmenting her with even more defense. If you can set up a net of defensive specials, it becomes a lot harder for your opponent to punch through than if she is the only defensive character on your team. Also, her inherent ability makes it so that you'll always win if you can trade cards 1 for 1, so you never run the risk of having a weak team if you pair her with overly defensive characters. What decks have you been trying her in so far?

To effectively attack the battlesite you pretty much have to base your entire deck around it. When Vertigo was played defensively, you could keep your characters alive long enough to be able to waste cards on their site while they used cards on your characters. Now, it is a little more tricky to pull this off but still potentially viable. Some effects to consider for a battlesite KO deck:

-New Lease on Life (to make them shuffle back all their dead activators)
-Specials that reset the missions (Captain Mar-Vell, Shadow King)
-Arc Light, Moleman's 11, etc.

Good luck!

steve2275

maybe team her with spider woman 6364 19
silver sable 4626  18 in reserve perhaps
and jubilee 6424 16
                            72 total
all have ad and ag specials thank you http://overpower.ca/tools/quickspecials.php
a femme fatale style defense

with marvel universe homebase your up 3 venture
and dare i say with the outback as the battlesite

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Onslaught on March 08, 2011, 11:02:17 PM

Good luck!

Also, if you're using cards from The Marvels, there were some good new cards that count toward Venture when used on a Battlesite. The OJ-coded cards (Alpha Flight, Domino, Shadowcat) and then also, Spider-Woman got a potentially fantastic card if you think you might want to take out a Battlesite:

QuoteSpider-Woman's Team's attacks with a Fighting icon made against Opponent's Battlesite count towards Venture total for remainder of game. May be played from Reserve.

Also, sorry steve2275, Jubilee's on The Outback, so another Battlesite is the way. Danger Room, Krakoa, and Onslaught's Citadel are all good options for a hyper-defensive team...
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

steve2275

Quote from: ncannelora on March 05, 2012, 11:19:55 AM
Quote from: Onslaught on March 08, 2011, 11:02:17 PM

Good luck!

Also, if you're using cards from The Marvels, there were some good new cards that count toward Venture when used on a Battlesite. The OJ-coded cards (Alpha Flight, Domino, Shadowcat) and then also, Spider-Woman got a potentially fantastic card if you think you might want to take out a Battlesite:

QuoteSpider-Woman's Team's attacks with a Fighting icon made against Opponent's Battlesite count towards Venture total for remainder of game. May be played from Reserve.

Also, sorry steve2275, Jubilee's on The Outback, so another Battlesite is the way. Danger Room, Krakoa, and Onslaught's Citadel are all good options for a hyper-defensive team...
um how am i involved with you on this post?
me am confused

gameplan.exe

Quote from: steve2275 on March 06, 2012, 01:26:32 AMum how am i involved with you on this post?
me am confused

Quote from: steve2275 on March 03, 2012, 03:43:16 AM
maybe team her with spider woman 6364 19
silver sable 4626  18 in reserve perhaps
and jubilee 6424 16
                            72 total
all have ad and ag specials thank you http://overpower.ca/tools/quickspecials.php
a femme fatale style defense

with marvel universe homebase your up 3 venture
and dare i say with the outback as the battlesite

"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

steve2275

me grimlock stupid

i hope we helped bread with his question

theres also mojoworld