Battlesite balance

Started by gameplan.exe, March 10, 2011, 01:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameplan.exe

After a long deliberation with DrDeath25 and Onslaught, I was alerted to the fact that my Battlesites have had a glaring weakness, named Devourer Of Worlds.

Putting a GL on my battlesite is not an option for me. The only GL in my collection belongs to Huntress. Putting a KL on my team is an option, but only for X-Babies and Captain Britain. And, while I do use both of them from time to time, they're not exactly headliners for me.

I'm sure that not every deck (that's using a Battlesite) has a KL or GL character in it. And I'm sure that not every Battlesite uses a GL under it for a OPD.

So, given my card availability (read: self-imposed limitation   ;D), what's the better counter to DoW? Playing a small Battlesite? Or playing a large Battlesite? How would you define the two?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

I generally go 2 specials per character, plus Beyonder, making 13 activators on a full site.

I don't make my Battlesite teams worrying about DoW. I make them to help complement my team. Yes, it's a threat, but if you build your entire team around evading one possible strategy, you weaken yourself against others. Play it as it comes. If your team concept can fit in an anti-DoW protection, then great! If not, then rely on your abilities to see you through tough situations.

Ultimately, DoW is a wildcard. IF your opponent gets it early enough it's deadly. Often it won't come up until the mid game or even end game. I've had times where an opponent will get DoW, then bet the farm, only to discover that I had no activators that round and ran over him anyway. It happens. And it makes me smile. :D

-BBH

gameplan.exe

To be fair, I never have built a Battlesite worrying about DoW lol.

12 cards on your battlesite, eh? That seems to be on the large side, to me. Maybe I'll give it a shot, though.

Also, if you're using Beyonder, you can just throw him in for an extra activator? I thought you had to replace one of your other activators with him...

Also, I don't have Beyonder  :(
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

Quote from: ncannelora on March 10, 2011, 02:17:37 PM
To be fair, I never have built a Battlesite worrying about DoW lol.

12 cards on your battlesite, eh? That seems to be on the large side, to me. Maybe I'll give it a shot, though.

Also, if you're using Beyonder, you can just throw him in for an extra activator? I thought you had to replace one of your other activators with him...

Also, I don't have Beyonder  :(

Ideally, I aim for 1 defense and 1 attack/trick with each. It hedges my defensive options. I've found that two of each minimizes chance of duplication, and gives me enough chances at the cards when I need them. There are other schools of though, but this works for me.

Beyonder is your 'extra' activator. Above and Beyond (Ha!) anything else you put into the site.

Proxy a Beyonder, if only to get used to playing with it.

-BBH

Nostalgic

I think 'the flip side' of what BBH said is a slim battlesite of maybe 4 or 5 cards.  Perhaps a few defensive cards and maybe one major offsensive card.  The house rule of using activators to follow-up specials when DOW is in effect also helps.
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

gameplan.exe

Quote from: steve2275 on September 25, 2011, 11:02:06 AM
DoW is overrated  ;)

The main reason I dislike DoW is that there is no "defensive action" to take for that card, making it a guaranteed hit for your opponent - a sure play, if you will. If the card could be negated, I would love the card, I'd even use the card.
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

AO user

i use onslaught citadel as battle site with 4 posts plus beyonder.  in first draw I get a Post (almost always) and use the GL and bye bye DOW.  In one game i didn't get a post but got "no anyheroes this battle" event and DOW was unusable.  I smiled.

HollyWood

Quote from: AO user on March 03, 2014, 01:54:51 PM
i use onslaught citadel as battle site with 4 posts plus beyonder.  in first draw I get a Post (almost always) and use the GL and bye bye DOW.  In one game i didn't get a post but got "no anyheroes this battle" event and DOW was unusable.  I smiled.

I use 4 negates in my deck, and get one of those in my first hand (to save my DOW) most of the time as well....  ;D
"I'm your huckleberry"