Charlie's Angels

Started by gameplan.exe, March 10, 2011, 11:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameplan.exe

Okay, I've played this deck a few times, now, and it's held its own pretty well. It has some fun tricks and turns out to have quite the pummel potential!

So, here it is for your consideration (as per usual, the * marks THE MARVELS)

ROSTER
White Queen - AA, JW, JW, AN, IA, GG, NF*
Jean: DPhoenix - AE, BH, AS, EB*
Phoenix - MC, AR, AR, CW, LO*, LO*
Professor X (R) - AG, AQ, AV, BG

ANY HEROES
AG, AR, BY, BQ, DB, ZZ

POWER CARDS
8- EEEEE
7 - EEEE
6 - EEE
5 - EEA
4 - MMM
3 - MI
2 - MI
1 - MI

TEAMWORKS
8 - EE, 7 - E, 6 - ESII

MISSION/EVENTS
Dark Phoenix Saga
Hellfire Club Attacked!
New Lease On Life

It's simple, pretty direct, but a lot of fun  :)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

CoS

with 4 special slots for the reserve don't you find them discarded as unusable? Usually unless the hero can play from reserve I will only play 1 special (for the Prof Telepathic Coordination or Mindwipe depending on your play stye).

gameplan.exe

you know, that's what i thought would happen, but it actually hasn't been too much of an issue.

see, i'd initially included them because in Partners Play, i could pass a Prof' Special to my Partner (which is why i'd included them in the first place), but then it occured to me that 2 of them are defensive, and can be useful via Hellfire Club Attacked and with New Lease On Life reshuffling everything, having unusable Prof' cards hasn't been much of an issue. i'm sure i could take 1 or 2 out and make the deck a little better, though.

i did take out the White Queen AA, and put in the Any Hero AA instead, btw
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Onslaught

GG specials/New Lease on Life/Any Heroes is great fun, but I don't think this is the right deck for it. If your opponent sees Dark Phoenix Saga missions and White Queen, she might be a big target. In this lineup, she would go down fast - even with Phoenix's amazing Marvels card.

Why Jean Grey: DP? She's not so hot in general, and mainly I'd only advise using her if she's backing up a 6 strength of someone like Holocaust. At the very least, I'd put her in reserve and move Professor X up front. Four specials for a reserve character is way too many anyway. Usually when you have someone with a teammate avoid, it's ideal to have another criss-crossed teammate avoid to go with it. X-Men: Original Team, Phoenix, Professor X, and an 8E in reserve with a KO event might be something to investigate.

If you're dead-set on using this lineup, I'd suggest dropping the New Lease on Life subtheme, switching to a battlesite, and running a configuration something like this:

Professor X: 8m, Telepathic Coordination, Psionic Hold, 6i
White Queen: 3i x2, 6i, Telepathic Manipulator
Phoenix: 11m, 7f, Teammate avoid x2
Dark Phoenix: 9s

Battlesite: Something with at least one "get off me" special to ensure usage of Phoenix teammate avoids, how about the Danger Room with Charm and Acrobatics since you are a big X-Fan?

Missions: Infinity Gauntlet with Silver Tongued Devil/Gods of Stone looks nice, there might be some more synergy found elsewhere though

Universe: 8E TW, 7E TW, 6E TW, 7I TW, 6I TW, 5f ally

rucker73

I have a question about the power cards.  Why no fighting or strength?  not even for the level 1  or 2 cards.  They would help with possible spectrums.  And with 5 level 8 power cards wouldn't you get a lot of duplicate discards? especially in the power pack?
"Wade! into action!"

gameplan.exe

I've considered this. I was actually looking for another way (in addition to eliminating her personal 'AA' Special) to reduce her exclusive cards (maybe also take out her AN and one of the JW?). Also, keep in mind, I initially built the deck (ie, not the roster, but once I had the roster...) around our Partners Play format,
http://www.beenhereandthere.com/SMF/index.php?topic=109.0
which is a much more defensive game in general.

QuoteWhy Jean Grey: DP? She's not so hot in general, and mainly I'd only advise using her if she's backing up a 6 strength of someone like Holocaust. At the very least, I'd put her in reserve and move Professor X up front. Four specials for a reserve character is way too many anyway. Usually when you have someone with a teammate avoid, it's ideal to have another criss-crossed teammate avoid to go with it. X-Men: Original Team, Phoenix, Professor X, and an 8E in reserve with a KO event might be something to investigate.

As for the roster itself (including Professor in Reserve), I made the line up after seeing this parameter set:
http://www.beenhereandthere.com/SMF/index.php?topic=173.0
I wouldn't say I'm dead set with this line up. I mean, in general, only crazy people put Professor X in Reserve. Ever. He's just SO good up front!

I'd certainly consider switching to a Battlesite, but I really do like the DFS EVENTS, not just for the New Lease On Life, but also for the Hellfire Club Attacked because it lets me play a couple of the extra Professor X cards I have in the deck (by the way, that was again, the influence of Partners Play).

Again, I made this deck with the understanding that I would use it in Partners, which allows you a few freedoms. Most notably, that you can make a deck with very little defense, and that you can throw in a couple extra specials for your Reserve, because you can pass them to your partner.

I was mostly impressed at the way this deck just seemed to work so well in the 1 on 1 environment, without taking out Prof X's extra cards, or switching him with DarkPhoenix. Even when I didn't get White Queen's 'GG' out before the New Lease On Life, I was finding that in my benefit, since it would give me back Prof X Specials I might have lost (another benefit of the Any Heroes, with the BQ). Also, more than once, I've had the Hellfire Club Attacked event come up while I had Phoenix's WARN AND CHANGE, which is another nice little trick.

Post Merge: July 11, 2011, 08:45:37 PM

Quote from: rucker73 on March 11, 2011, 07:32:25 AM
I have a question about the power cards.  Why no fighting or strength?  not even for the level 1  or 2 cards.  They would help with possible spectrums.  And with 5 level 8 power cards wouldn't you get a lot of duplicate discards? especially in the power pack?

I actually only ran into 1 or 2 hands per game with duplicate 7s or 8s, actually. I figured it was better to have a duplicate 8 than no 8 at all. It was also some trial and error, though, in realizing I can dump 1 of the extra 8s to Professor and it might actually get used anyway (with the Hellfire Club Attacks EVENT).

As for the Power Pack, this deck never really sees the Power Pack unless I get New Lease On Life really early. Even then, this turned out to be quite the offensive deck, and I'm not entirely sure how often it would go past 7 hands.

As for the low level cards, I figured 3 things.
1 - Professor and Emma can't use anything higher than a 2 in fighting and strength. This allows some flexibility if some one is running a No Fighting (or Strength) Power cards type EVENT.
2 - It makes it way easier to choose which teamworks you're using.
3 - I've found that the low level Power cards, even after a teamwork, are blocked more often than not. So, it seemed like keeping it simple was best.

Having said those 3 points, I know that there are certainly counter points to them, but this was what I was thinking when I constructed the deck.
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

drdeath25

I'm not going to critcize your deck, it has potential, but it looks like your actual deck-list is based on strategies from the 'Mission Control Era' (Like you literally pulled your ideas from http://www.beenhereandthere.com/SMF/index.php?topic=146.0). Nowadays, you can play more than 1 of each special for characters, and don't need 5 of each power card. I'm not changing your characters at all, however this is what I would play with this deck... and it definitely wont have 5 specials for the reserve character. I tested this deck out with 2 games tonight, it lost both games, however the games were close and I think it fit's someone with your skill-set nicely.

ROSTER
White Queen - Hellfire Leader, Telepathic Manipulator, Corporate Cuthroat x2, Cold-Hearted Enemy
Jean: DPhoenix -  Telepathic Unity, Telekenesis, Mental Deflection, Phoenix Effect, TK Shield
Phoenix - Askani Founder, Manifest Phoenix, Warn & Change x2, Telepathic Power x2
Professor X (R) - Telepathic Coordination, Mindwipe

ANY HEROES
Bastion, Confusion, Death From Above, Devour of Worlds, Flight, Fortress of Solitude, Gamma Terror, Power Leech, Wizard in Tophat & Tails

POWER CARDS
8- EEE
7 - EEA
6 - ESA
5 - AM
4 - SM
3 - MI
2 - MI
1 - MI

TEAMWORKS
8E, 7E, 6E, 6S, 6I

ALLY:
5F

HOMEBASE - Team Overpower
A-NEXT

MISSION/EVENTS - Shattered Image
Entropy Field (No Activators)
Gen13 vs The Regulators (No Negates)
Cyberforce Vs Mercs (No Shifting)

As always... Bastion being your only negate REALLY hurts, but no need to get into that with you again. Let me know what you think, will you?

gameplan.exe

That's a good revisioin, drdeath25!

It definitely streamlines some things and the EVENTS definitely take advantage of this deck build nicely (although, sadly, I do not have that MISSION/EVENT set  :'( ) Without using New Lease On Life, I guess I certainly would have to reconsider the Power Pack build.

I think I'll give it a go, but is there another MISSION/EVENT you'd use instead (i have all of the others, just no image cards)?
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

drdeath25

Quote from: ncannelora on March 12, 2011, 03:38:11 PM

It definitely streamlines some things and the EVENTS definitely take advantage of this deck build nicely (although, sadly, I do not have that MISSION/EVENT set  :'( ) Without using New Lease On Life, I guess I certainly would have to reconsider the Power Pack build.

I think I'll give it a go, but is there another MISSION/EVENT you'd use instead (i have all of the others, just no image cards)?

Hmm... If you don't have access to Shattered Image, I would probably run a battlesite with Infinity Gauntlet for this deck. Only missions being "No Any Heroes" and "No Fighting Power Cards".