Homebase & Battle sites in same deck

Started by VG23, June 29, 2017, 09:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VG23

I've been looking around the forum and at previous tournament players decks.  I have not seen anyone with, example: Homebase - Team OverPower / Battlesite - Omniverse? Can you not have them together?

Also, why do some have Anyhero / Homebase? If you use any Heros, aren't you still allowed to have a battle site?

justa

generic location cards such as Team OverPower, Omniverse, or Marvel Anything, can NEVER be used as a Battlesite.  they may ONLY be used as a Homebase.

if you use Any Hero and/or Any Character Specials, you may NOT use a Battlesite.  if you use a Battlesite, you may NOT use Any Hero and/or Any Character Specials.

the Homebase, although a location card like the Battlesite, is totally different.  it is the basis for your team, and you gain the benefit of its Inherent Ability.

VG23

That makes sense!  Thanks so much!

Follow up question.  Battle site can have only one OPD, or just OPD of any specific character from that battlesite?

Photonicide

Hey VG23! A battlesite can only have one OPD in total, not one per character. Although, having one per character would make battlesites stronger and maybe more people would run them instead of almost everyone running Any Heroes.

Majestic

Quote from: justa on June 29, 2017, 10:40:07 PM

if you use Any Hero and/or Any Character Specials, you may NOT use a Battlesite.  if you use a Battlesite, you may NOT use Any Hero and/or Any Character Specials.

I've never seen this said anywhere.  Where is it ever said (in any rules) that you can't use Any Hero/Any Character cards in your deck?

If you're referencing in the rules where it says "? Only Special cards that are for Characters listed on the Character List of the Battlesite may be used." that is clearly talking about what cards can be used in the Battlesite itself (not the actual deck).

fennshysa

Interesting. I thought it was in the monumental rulebook but i can't find a copy. I'm not sure that it was now though. Maybe somebody knows where it originally came from.

justa

I performed a review of the applicable rule books distributed with the game.  The original and DC versions were of no help because Location cards did not exist then.  The Monumental rule book has no definitive statement regarding this topic.  The Image version was especially of no help, as I cannot read Japanese script writing.

HOWEVER - it is specifically stated on Wikipedia (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OverPower) and Gambiter (gambiter.com/ccg/OverPower.html), and it is implied on Ripayuheadoff's rules listing (justabgkid.com/ripayuheadoffs/op/fulltext.html).

hopefully some of the tournament-type players can chime in with a better reference.

Majestic

I'm unable to even go to those last two links from my work computer (the last one gives a 404 error).  When I go to the gambiter site from my phone, it looks like a carbon copy of the Wikipedia entry.

So while compelling, and an indicator that some people have played that way, how come there's nothing in the Monumental Rulebook suggesting this?

Majestic

By the way, I found out where this 'rule' came from.  It's not in any of the rulebooks (that I can find), but it was posted in one of the OverPower Legion fanzines.

Photonicide

Nice work! Do you have a link or could you share an image? Would be great to have an official way to reference the rule.

Majestic

You bet.  A bunch of the old newsletters (The Monthly Venture, The Venture, and The Mission Statement) are located at the Canadian OverPower page (in their Wiki).  The specific bit about this specific ruling/issue is found on p. 2 of The Venture Volume Two Issue 1 here.