Imitation Energy

Started by Onslaught, March 15, 2011, 07:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameplan.exe

hm. And what about the rest of the deck?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

drdeath25

Ncann, Would you like to post what your deck-list would be for that deck? And then I will tell you if i agree or would change anything? Don't forget to include the fatal attractions EVENTS. Those are important in this deck.

gameplan.exe

i'll give it a shot, i guess. it's just that i'm not too confident i'll be able to pull it all together effectively. it seemed like it'd be a lot faster, and i'd save face, if i was just given an example of how that would work.with your (you and Onslaught) experience, it seems like you guys have a much different idea of how deck balance should look. i'm being genuine, here, because even just looking at putting 18 power cards in a deck seems strange to me... anyway, i'll give it some thought tonight and post something in the morning, sure  :)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

CoS

My take on it: (i acknowledge that I am nowhere the Overpower player or deckbuilder that Onslaught is but this is how i would tweak this build for my own style)

Specials:
ANYHERO
WebHead
Power Leech
Justice League of America
Devourer of Worlds
Death from Above
Gamma Terror
Bastion
Confusion
Guardian Angle

ZEALOT:
Kherubim (anti-negate OPD)
Warrior Soul
Wild Cat x2

Sentinels:
Mastor Mold x3
Mutant Countermeasures x2
Robot Mentality x2

Serpent Society:
ASP
Cobra x3
Sidwinder x2

Sabertooth
Government Operative x2
Wildcat Attack

Universe:
Teamworks 6E+S?F, 6F+I/S, 6S+I/F, 7E+I/F, 7F+I/S, 7S+I/F, 8F+I/S
Ally: -5E+3, -5I+3

Events: Down But Not Out, Shockwave Rocks the World, Best Laid Plans

Power Cards, F-5, 6, 7, 8, 8, 8 S-2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, I-1, 1, AP-5, 6, 7

I thinks that 57 cards.

i played light on Zealot specials (she seems to be top front line target). High on Robot Specials becuase they sit between two pure avoids so are less likley to be struck down.

Thoughts?

Onslaught

I hate running Death from Above in fighting decks, but some people like it. I'd drop an 8f for an 8 anypower as well, just to get around Silver Tongued Devil. I don't mind running a Clef Blade. I wouldn't run more than x1 of any Sentinel card except Mastermold (at x3). Sometimes you might want the second AR, but this particular deck really needs to avoid duping as much as possible since it's so easy to win if you make it to the power pack. For the same reason I'd drop the Wildcat Attack and just stick with x2 Government Operative. I think you forgot Fortress in the Any Hero section? Also I love Down But Not Out, but not for this deck. I also hate running a duplicate level 1 power card if it can be avoided. I'd drop down to just one ally as well (intellect).

All of that is just preference though, so don't take it as gospel if you prefer a second AR, a few more powercards, etc. There are no hard and fast rules, it just depends on how you play or what a specific deck is trying to do. Hell, there are even some decks where I'd run x3 copies of an AR. Whatever works for you.

drdeath25

Quote from: CoS on March 17, 2011, 03:27:00 AM

i played light on Zealot specials (she seems to be top front line target). High on Robot Specials becuase they sit between two pure avoids so are less likley to be struck down.

Very smart idea. Sentinels very rarely get attacked. I also used 7 Sentinel specials and 4 Zealot specials in the version of this deck I playtested.  Our decks would look very similar although, I use one less E Teamwork, maybee 2 (if someone does attack sentinels, you don't want to lose 9 cards unique to only them, and also you want to maximize potential on the Shockwave turn). Either way, I like your deckbuild quite a bit, there is only about a 5 card difference in your version from the version of this I played with in the past.

Post Merge: July 11, 2011, 08:43:36 PM

Quote from: Onslaught on March 17, 2011, 05:46:33 AM
I hate running Death from Above in fighting decks, but some people like it. I'd drop an 8f for an 8 anypower as well, just to get around Silver Tongued Devil. I don't mind running a Clef Blade. I wouldn't run more than x1 of any Sentinel card except Mastermold (at x3). Sometimes you might want the second AR, but this particular deck really needs to avoid duping as much as possible since it's so easy to win if you make it to the power pack. For the same reason I'd drop the Wildcat Attack and just stick with x2 Government Operative. I think you forgot Fortress in the Any Hero section? Also I love Down But Not Out, but not for this deck. I also hate running a duplicate level 1 power card if it can be avoided. I'd drop down to just one ally as well (intellect).

All of that is just preference though, so don't take it as gospel if you prefer a second AR, a few more powercards, etc. There are no hard and fast rules, it just depends on how you play or what a specific deck is trying to do. Hell, there are even some decks where I'd run x3 copies of an AR. Whatever works for you.

I agree 100% with everything you said here.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: drdeath25 on March 17, 2011, 05:51:02 AM
Quote from: Onslaught on March 17, 2011, 05:46:33 AM

I agree 100% with everything you said here.

So, this is what I mean... I see you're saying to drop Death From Above, Mutant Countermeasures, Robot Mentality, Wildcat Attack, Down But Not Out, and a 1 Anyhero.
You only added Clef Blade and Fortress Of Solitude.
That leaves the deck at 53 cards... where else would you add some cards, then? Would you add different Sentinels specials? Would you add a few more teamworks? This is where adding Power Cards makes sense to me... This is how I would build this deck:

Any Heroes - AA, AC, AG, AR, BQ, BY, DB, EN, OD, ZZ

Zealot - EM, AD, AD, MP, MC
Sentinels - EE, EE, GA, CZ, AR, AR
Serpent Society - BM, AO, AO, AD, AD
Sabretooth - AD, AD, AR

Teamworks - 8F, 7F, 7E, 7S, 6S

Power Cards - 8FFA, 7 FFA, 6 FFA, 5FFA, 4SS, 3SS, 2SS, I11

Best Laid Plans, Shockwave Rocks The World

Post Merge: July 11, 2011, 08:43:45 PM

Also, I didn't realize at first, that Serpent Society is a 3-6-6-3. Since they provide that 6S for that offsuit teamwork, couldn't you drop Sentinels out of the team? I know their purpose was to bring in an EE, to emulate the Energy team described in the beginning, but it seems like this team has all of the defense it could ever want. Since all of the avoids in the deck have no numeric limitation, it doesn't matter if they follow up a teamwork with an 8 PC. Wouldn't it be better to get some more offense out of your 20-pointer? Not to mention having better Power Pack access.
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

drdeath25

Howcome nobody is using A-Next? That's a really good card.

Ncann, when you hit 53, i would of added a 6F Teamwork, A-Next and made sure I had 3 of Serpent Society's "Cobra". But then again, I would of also took a few cards out of your build. Ill post my list up later.

gameplan.exe

I sometimes forget about A-Next because I don't have it  :-\
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

drdeath25

Everyone has different strategies with the way the build their deck, so their is no 'right' or 'wrong'. This is the version of this deck I tested in the past, which I felt best fit my playstyle.

Roster:
Zealot - Kherbium, Warrior Soul, Clef Blade, Wildcat
Sentinels - Master Mold x3, Robot Mentaility, Nimrod, Mutant Countermeasures
Serpent Society - Cobra x3, Asp, Sidewinder x2
Sabretooh (Original) - Government Opperative x3

Any Heroes
Bastion, Confusion, Death From Above, Gamma Terror, Guardian, Devouer of Worlds, Wizard in Tophat & Tails, Power Leech, Fortress of Solitude, JLA

Power Cards
8- FFA
7 - FA
6 - FA
5 - MA
4 - SS
3 - MS
2 - MS
1 - MS

Teamworks
6F I/S, 7F I/S, 8F I/S, 7E F/S, 7S F/I, 6S F/I

Ally
5I

Aspect
A-Next

EVENTS
Best Laid Plans
Shockwave Rocks The World

Overtime

Quote from: drdeath25 on March 17, 2011, 05:33:40 PM
This is the version of this deck I tested in the past, which I felt best fit my playstyle.

HOLD ON JUST A MIN! If you played this in past tournament does that mean Onslaught COPIED you? People have been accusing him of being a deck cloner.

drdeath25

Quote from: Overtime on March 17, 2011, 06:25:38 PM
Quote from: drdeath25 on March 17, 2011, 05:33:40 PM
This is the version of this deck I tested in the past, which I felt best fit my playstyle.

HOLD ON JUST A MIN! If you played this in past tournament does that mean Onslaught COPIED you? People have been accusing him of being a deck cloner.

100% Correct, Overtime. I played with this deck in the Mission Control ERA, Before IQ even came out. So yea, Fleer copied my homemade cards also.

Onslaught

Quote from: Overtime on March 17, 2011, 06:25:38 PM

I think he is just referring to a testing session yesterday when he used my deck a few times. I like playing against my own decks to get insight into how other people might use them differently than me, which sometimes can open up new perspectives.

Overtime

Oh alright. So what was the win ratio? I don't play for money but still want to know if it is a big enough threat to tech against.

Nate Grey

Quote from: CoS on March 17, 2011, 03:27:00 AM

Thoughts?

Props to you for posting this deck, CoS. It seems the consensus is not to overload a deck with so many power cards like I tend to do. I'm still (at the moment) most comfortable with Any Hero decks so it was cool to see that someone still uses them when deck building.