Help against Cape Citadel Deck

Started by Palatinus, March 25, 2011, 10:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palatinus

So I have finally been able to play Overpower again for the first time in several years.  My wife has a deck using Cape Citadel as a homebase with Crux, Grey King, Xaos, and Landslide.  Between the variety of power types for spectrum KO, the power hits, lots of defense, and drawing a power card from the power pack, I have a hard time staying alive for even a few battles.

My deck is Sentinels, Jean Grey, Mojo, with Goblyn Queen in reserve.  I am using Asteroid M as a battlesite.  I have negates form Mojo and Scarlet Witch, avoids, hit removal, high level attacks and good teamwork combinations.  When things go well, they can go really well, but even then I find that the Cape Citadel team still comes out ahead in the venture and/or kills one or more of my characters.  I think I need a better battlesite because I can only find one Mystique and one Magneto special I like.  Also, Sentinels keep dying early which is frustrating.

Post Merge: July 11, 2011, 08:38:09 PM

Also, can Mojo's Bodyguard be combined with this Prime Time?

rucker73

I was wondering if you are using regular 16 point jean grey or if you are using 21 point Dark Phoenix Jean Grey.  If you are using the 16 point version I would switch to Dark Phoenix.  Then I would probably switch Goblyn Queen to the front line and move Jean Grey into reserve. 

I don't know what your deck construction looks like, but I would advise you to not use more than 4 or 5 specials per character (Just big or hard to block hits and defense)  Asteroid M is a decent battlesite, but if you aren't married to it I might switch to the Outback or even Krakoa, seeing as how you have a fair amount of defense already. 

I hope this helps you get a win or two.

Also you can't use Body Guard with Prime Time, it has to be an actual power card and not a special that acts like one.
"Wade! into action!"

Palatinus

i am using dark phoenix.  If I move her to reserve then I won't be able to play her 8's.  I do have too many specials so I will cut back on those.  I will look into the battlesites you mentioned.

drdeath25

I might take into consideration the following: Holocaust, Sentinels, Dark Phoenix, Velocity(R) W/Infinity Gauntlet (No Fighting/No Any Hero) & Krakoa Battlesite

Post Merge: July 11, 2011, 08:38:16 PM

You could also use SpiderWoman Original in reserve if you would rather have her "teamate avoid 9 or less' rather then velocity's 'opponent must discard one placed card' being played from your reserve character.

Or even replace Mojo w/ XBabies and use Hawkeye in reserve. There is a number of ways you could go here. Your deck is actually just a few changes from being considered 'top tier'.

Spawn (Instead of Jean), Sentinels, Serpent Society, Hawkeye/SpiderWoman(R)?

Would you mind posting your complete deck-list? I would be interested in seeing what you are using inside your current deck, to see if we could maybee cut down on duplicates or get rid of some underpowered cards to enhance your draws.

rucker73

Sorry Dr.D I thought that he was looking for help on how to get his existing deck to beat Cape Citadel. :(

Maybe I was wrong, but if he changes 3 of 4 characters it's not really his deck anymore and it is now made up of 4 of those same overused characters again. :P

Palatinus, my reasoning for shifting Jean Grey to the back is that you can still put a level 8 power card in your deck and place it, as well as an 8 teamwork and 9 strength special.  I was thinking that Goblyn Queen had a couple of decent specials to use up front and that way you could bring in the heavy hits if one of your front line went down.

As a trick you could use the Crossing with the KO event and only play a couple of GQ specials (maybe just her 5 E attack and her Phoenix Lifeforce)  then hope to get Phoenix Lifeforce played before the KO event and then possibly not even lose a character.

Just an idea.
"Wade! into action!"

drdeath25

Rucker, You still dont get it. I am posting in this topic to help Platinus out, and make him re-think some parts of his deck that could use some tweaking. I am trying to help him and give him my points of view on the questions he asked us about.

Did you notice I asked him for a complete deck-list of what he is currently using? If we knew his entire 56-card deck we would know a lot more about what the potential problems his specific deck would have against Muir Island.

That's all i really have to say. Being stuck on 4 characters is cool, but when you just aren't getting the results you want no matter how many tweaks you have given your deck, then it's about time to think of changing your decks roster.

rucker73

No man I get it.  We just have different ideas on "helping someone".  You're ideas are wonderful and original and I am sure that many users find that you are definitely helping. :)

Let me know how it works out Palatinus!
"Wade! into action!"

Palatinus

My reserve slot has been rotating a bit already.  I am going to try Spider-Woman in reserve now.  I like Goblyn Queen but she really wasn't contributing much.  Spider-Woman is nice because she has energy and strength stats that are compatible with the deck.  I will post my deck list after I have played it and tweaked it a bit more.  I thought about switching my battlesite to Krakoa but I lose my negate from the battlesite so I think I may actually go with Wundagore Mountain.

Post Merge: July 11, 2011, 08:38:30 PM

Also, I like both forms of help.  Ideas for how to make the deck work as closely as possible to the original design, but also ideas on how to get the kind of play from different, better characters.  I don't have many Holocaust specials.  Actually, I have like none of the Onslaught expansion.

Post Merge: July 11, 2011, 05:38:25 PM

I still don't have a deck list.  I don't even have the deck down to the minimum cards yet.  I did put Spider-Woman in reserve and replaced Jean Grey with The Inhumans.  I also made Wundagore Mountain my battlesite and after winning the first two games my wife decided to revamp her deck before we play again.

HotDogCart

Quote from: Palatinus on March 25, 2011, 10:12:28 PM
So I have finally been able to play Overpower again for the first time in several years.  My wife has a deck using Cape Citadel as a homebase with Crux, Grey King, Xaos, and Landslide.  Between the variety of power types for spectrum KO, the power hits, lots of defense, and drawing a power card from the power pack, I have a hard time staying alive for even a few battles.

My deck is Sentinels, Jean Grey, Mojo, with Goblyn Queen in reserve.  I am using Asteroid M as a battlesite.  I have negates form Mojo and Scarlet Witch, avoids, hit removal, high level attacks and good teamwork combinations.  When things go well, they can go really well, but even then I find that the Cape Citadel team still comes out ahead in the venture and/or kills one or more of my characters.  I think I need a better battlesite because I can only find one Mystique and one Magneto special I like.  Also, Sentinels keep dying early which is frustrating.

;D This is about MY deck.  8) I am working on a new one. I am thinking Ra's Al Ghul, The Hand, Donald Pierce, and ... ? idk. That is as far as I have gotten. I am hoping my new deck is as powerful as this last one. I like winning  :D

Nate Grey

Who is the best reserve character for the Cape Citadel Deck?

HotDogCart

Quote from: Nate Grey on April 02, 2011, 01:06:03 PM

I put Landslide in the reserve in mine, BUT I am maybe changing that soon. It is not playing as well as I want.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: hotdogcart on April 02, 2011, 08:38:12 PM

I put Landslide in the reserve in mine, BUT I am maybe changing that soon. It is not playing as well as I want.

Try a front line of Landslide, Crux, Xaos with Mercury in back. That's my friend's usual build, and he does well with it. Mercury backs up Crux's fighting TW. They all have a common 6 energy.

Let me know if that works for you.

-BBH

Nate Grey

Quote from: BigBadHarve on April 05, 2011, 11:06:26 AM
Quote from: hotdogcart on April 02, 2011, 08:38:12 PM

Try a front line of Landslide, Crux, Xaos with Mercury in back. That's my friend's usual build, and he does well with it. Mercury backs up Crux's fighting TW. They all have a common 6 energy.

Let me know if that works for you.

-BBH

Thanks for the suggestion. I've always wanted to try a Cape Citadel deck.  :)

steve2275

Quote from: Palatinus on March 26, 2011, 06:56:57 PM

Post Merge: July 11, 2011, 05:38:25 PM

I still don't have a deck list.  I don't even have the deck down to the minimum cards yet.  I did put Spider-Woman in reserve and replaced Jean Grey with The Inhumans.  I also made Wundagore Mountain my battlesite and after winning the first two games my wife decided to revamp her deck before we play again.
what specials did you use?
for inhumans s-w and wundagore