Interesting teams built by others

Started by BigBadHarve, April 15, 2011, 10:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBadHarve

Reading the thread about JohnL's very interesting Team-X deck, I got to thinking about interesting decks I've seen built over the years.

What are some teams you've seen built that have struck you as unique (effective or not.)?

I knew a guy who made some good use out of, New Warriors, Landslide, Xaos and Havok: Mutant X

A kill card would put him up 3 cards and 6 venture for a round. I don't know what his overall win ratio was, but he had a lot of fun playing it.

-BBH

gameplan.exe

My brother made a team of Blue Beetle, Invisible Woman, Longshot, and Comm. Gordon together with the Marvel Universe. It is a cool looking lineup. Being +7 to Venture total is also a great headstart.

The only problem were the people in his deck! lol maybe that's not fair. It could work. I don't think he had the most meticulous deck build for it. Again, though, he had fun playing it  :)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

Quote from: ncannelora on April 15, 2011, 10:22:29 AM
My brother made a team of Blue Beetle, Invisible Woman, Longshot, and Comm. Gordon together with the Marvel Universe. It is a cool looking lineup. Being +7 to Venture total is also a great headstart.

The only problem were the people in his deck! lol maybe that's not fair. It could work. I don't think he had the most meticulous deck build for it. Again, though, he had fun playing it  :)

I love the venture concept. I have a similar build that I use....

Invisible Woman, Blue Beetle and Longshot with Deathbird in reserve. Deathbird essentially turns your level 7 PCs into 1-7 teammate avoids. You don't really need it up front because of your massive venture lead. Just fend off everything you can and make your opponent defend your tiny little spectrum attacks. (Ally with Invisible woman's team co-ordination,  BB's Airgun and LS' One in a million is an evil combo.)   ;D

-BBH

gameplan.exe

True, putting Deathbird in Reserve is generally helpful with these types of teams! His main problem was that I was able to focus all of my attacks too well on BlueBeetle, killing him and dropping his VT. Then Comm would go down just about as quickly as he'd come up. So, he was able to get +5 to VT pretty well through several hands, but the team I was using was just too brutal. I'm sure that swapping in Deathbird would have helped immediately, giving the team a common suite (for defense, anyway). Like I said, he threw that team together pretty hastily.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

CoS

This deck performed so well I friended John on face book. Redundancy, tricks, KO event, quad-negate... If only it had the 8 stat it would perfectly fit my play style.

http://www.davidjohnmarotta.com/op/notricks.html

BigBadHarve

Quote from: CoS on April 15, 2011, 10:57:55 AM
This deck performed so well I friended John on face book. Redundancy, tricks, KO event, quad-negate... If only it had the 8 stat it would perfectly fit my play style.

http://www.davidjohnmarotta.com/op/notricks.html

I like it too. I have it built on OP online, but have only tried it a couple of times.

-BBH

Jesse

Quote from: BigBadHarve on April 15, 2011, 10:39:54 AM
I love the venture concept. I have a similar build that I use....

Invisible Woman, Blue Beetle and Longshot with Deathbird in reserve. Deathbird essentially turns your level 7 PCs into 1-7 teammate avoids. You don't really need it up front because of your massive venture lead. Just fend off everything you can and make your opponent defend your tiny little spectrum attacks. (Ally with Invisible woman's team co-ordination,  BB's Airgun and LS' One in a million is an evil combo.)   ;D

-BBH

I like this concept a lot - I was just looking into a "venture-inherent" team the other day, but I really like your build. I think I will definitely have to have a go with this team.
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

steve2275

wouldnt that be +8? +9 with marvel universe?

gameplan.exe

Quote from: steve2275 on April 16, 2012, 07:58:16 AM

No, there's a meta ruling on the Venture Inherent Abilities that they're only "active" if the character is on the Front Line  :-\
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Jesse

Quote from: ncannelora on April 16, 2012, 02:39:21 PM
No, there's a meta ruling on the Venture Inherent Abilities that they're only "active" if the character is on the Front Line  :-\

Yeah, thats just a silly rule....if other inherents are active I feel like venture ones should be too  :P
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Jesse on April 16, 2012, 03:26:41 PM

Yeah, thats just a silly rule....if other inherents are active I feel like venture ones should be too  :P

Yeah, bullshit rule. Especially since EVERY other inherent ability counts from the reserve.

-BBH

steve2275

Quote from: steve2275 on April 16, 2012, 07:58:16 AM

that didnt even occur to me

Jesse

Quote from: BigBadHarve on April 16, 2012, 03:34:06 PM
Yeah, bullshit rule. Especially since EVERY other inherent ability counts from the reserve.

-BBH

That's one thing, that my friend asked if he could do (which is why I started looking into it). In pickup games between the two of us I couldnt care less, so I figure I'll let him play with it counting. It'll just be tough if I get to really liking my team and I turn around and start playing OPO or go to play with some of you guys sometime  ;D and someone says "you cant do that"  :P