OPD Challenge!

Started by gameplan.exe, April 26, 2011, 01:50:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameplan.exe

i was looking at putting Cable in a deck recently, and i was admiring his high number of quality cards. then it occured to me, that i was essentially making all of his Specials OPDs, by only using one of them. then i thought, i wonder how a deck might play out if i did this for my whole roster. then i realized how close it was to having the whole deck look that way...

so, here's the challenge: make the best deck possible, with ZERO duplicate cards. use an Event or not, and use The Marvels or not, but get the best 51 (or 56) individual cards together that you can. i imagine the general builds will look the same (8 power cards, 2 or 3 tw cards, etc), but let's see what kinds of rosters we can cook up!

what's your idea?

Post Merge: July 11, 2011, 08:20:07 PM

btw, Cable didn't make the cut for this  deck  :D
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

Beyonder
Storm Neutralized
Hawkeye
X-babies

I've managed to squeak in at 51 cards.

-BBH

gameplan.exe

Quote from: BigBadHarve on April 26, 2011, 11:54:29 AM
Beyonder
Storm Neutralized
Hawkeye
X-babies

I've managed to squeak in at 51 cards.

-BBH

Nice!
I'd considered both Storm:N and X-Babies, but I completely neglected the incredible flexibility and security that Beyonder would bring to this setting! It makes it tough that he has no cards of his own, but with Storm:N having so many I could easily see how you could make up a lot of ground there!
Kudos!

Post Merge: July 11, 2011, 08:20:00 PM

I went with this

Professor X - 8m, 6i*, 4e, 3v, AV, BG, AG, AH, EQ, AJ
Iceman - 10e, 6s, 6f*, 4e, 3v, AI, AD, AG, CM
Bishop - 9e, 8m, 4f, 4i, AC, AG, AY, HD, OG*
Sunfire - 9m, 4s*, 3f
AnyHero - 7s, 4f, 3v, AC, AG, AL, DB, BQ, BY, EN, ZZ

PC: 8a, 7a, 6a, 5a, 4m, 3i, 2f, 1i
TW: 7e+fi, 6e+fi
Ally: 5S
Cosmic Control Rod
A-Next
Fighting Spirit Lives! (Event from Assault On Onslaught)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

Played a few games in this format. It's interesting.

I tell you, I'd thought about trying to build a deck this way before, but never actually got around to doing it.

It's fun knowing you'll never have a duplicate when you draw your hand.  ;D

It often comes down to who goes first. Breadmaster and I were launching brutal chains at one another, knowing that defense was limited. It was quite the slaughter. Good times!

-BBH

gameplan.exe

cool! What was breadmaster running?
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

Captain America, The Hand, Hawkeye and Wonder Woman.

I was using Team X, Storm Neutralized, Bullseye and Maverick.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: BigBadHarve on April 28, 2011, 01:31:46 PM
Captain America, The Hand, Hawkeye and Wonder Woman.

I was using Team X, Storm Neutralized, Bullseye and Maverick.

Interesting! Did you go with Bullseye because of his card, "Everything Is A Weapon"?
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

gameplan.exe

I played a few games this morning with my "OPD" team vs. Ranerdar (Hawkeye, Green Arrow, Daredevil, Batman, and a few DC homemades).

First game was actually pretty quick. I placed my entire hand, then conceded from the top. So, my second hand, I had 14 cards (including an HQ), and I got ahead on my Missions pretty quickly from there. I won after about 5 hands.

Second game was very, very interesting! It came down to Bishop vs. Batman, but here's the kicker: we made it to the Power pack. For me, that meant my Power "pack" - since I only had 7 Power cards at that point! I had the Mephisto AnyHero placed to Team Overpower and I had Bishop's AG placed. So, I bet all I could (I think 5) on that hand, then went for the win on the next hand. Very unique experience, being in the Power pack, and knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt that I will draw a perfect 1 through 7!
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

Yeah, it's an interesting experiment.

I didn't use everything's a weapon. I went with Bullseye because he's an 18 point character with an 8 on his grid. Plus his attacks are all spectrum hits.

Of course, having an 8 on the grid doesn't make too much of a difference in this format... other than getting two more cards to add to your total.

-BBH

gameplan.exe

so, it turns out that i really like this concept and may be stuck on finding new rosters for a while. i recently thought:
i wonder which Homebases can pull this off?

that's my evolved endeavor - finding  a  Homebase to do this! consider it OPD Challenge 2.0

thoughts?
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Onslaught

Seeing such a worthwhile idea has inspired me to try to come up with an alternate format of my own. A deck where you only use one of each card? What about one where you only use one card total! Here's the restrictions:

-Your characters must have at LEAST seven instances of the letter "A" but cannot contain more than nine. For example, Spawn, Heroes for Hire, Spider Girl, Spider-Woman is an illegal deck for this format because it only contains "A" twice.

-Your sum deck total must equal 73 exactly

-Alien Symbiote is banned (years of testing has proven it's too powerful in this format)

-You must use a mission set that was not released in any of the following sets: Original, Powersurge, DC, IQ, JLA, Monumental, Classic, Image, X-Men

-You may only include 56 copies of the same card in your deck

Here's my team:

This is the ideal setup - one Snow Blind placed, then draw your hand giving you a total of nine Snow Blinds for
the turn. Notice how I have preemptively ventured four before drawing since I know my hand is going to be so good.

Malebolgia, Twoface: Crime Boss, Iceman, 3 stat Adam Warlock (Reserve), Assault on Onslaught missions

Decklist:
Snow Blind
Snow Blind
Snow Blind
Snow Blind
Snow Blind
Snow Blind
Snow Blind
Snow Blind .... and so on (Snow Blind x56)

Now, I'm looking for some input on this deck. Mainly, I'd like suggestions on a different set of missions to use. Try to keep the theme of the deck intact as well, please (I want to abuse the ability to keep duplicates). How do you think this deck will work?

gameplan.exe

@ Onslaught

you know, you're not required to reply to my posts, right? I mean, I understand that you disapprove of the way I build decks, but then why not just stay out of the conversation? Or was this meant to be funny, somehow?
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Overtime

I thought it was amusing.

gameplan.exe

maybe it's because I'm the butt of the joke, but it just doesn't seem funny. I guess it seems too predictable.
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

breadmaster

don't let it get to you

bbh and i have both built these decks and have had a couple games of opo with em. 

will they win tournaments...no.  but they're a fun little distraction for a while. 

and bringing a little fun into the world is never a bad thing