Beyond Blinding

Started by gameplan.exe, May 02, 2011, 12:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameplan.exe

So, I posted a deck idea the other day, about making a deck with zero duplication (even in the Power Pack). Essentially, it makes all of your cards "One Per Deck". It was fun to build and equally fun to play. Very interesting. Deets here:
http://www.beenhereandthere.com/SMF/index.php?topic=331.0

Then, I also saw a post by JohnL, about a deck he called "The Proxy Deck", where he used 36 of Shadowcat's avoids. Deets here:
http://www.beenhereandthere.com/SMF/index.php?topic=298.msg3122#msg3122

Finally, I had the idea to blend these 2 concepts. So, the only duplicates in my deck would be duplicates I can keep. I figured I should also take advantage of Beyonder (a cue I took from BBH). The candidates for this were IronMan:Orig, Jubilee, or Shadowcat. Ultimately, I went with Jubilee, since she gave me a little more room on the Sum Deck Rule.

As usual, * denotes The Marvels. Be careful, with so many "Blinding Flares" down there, it's like trying to look at a solar eclipse! Without further ado, my deck:

ROSTER:
    Beyonder
       Jubilee  7a*, 7m, 4e, AC, AD, AV, DB, AG, AG, AG, AG, AG, AG, AG, AG, AG, AG, AG, AG, AG, AG, AG
Scarlt Witch 8m, 6s, AI, AD, AO
ProfX (3)(R) 8m, 4e, 3v, AG, AH
AnyHero       7s, 4f, 3v, AC, AG, BQ, BY, DB, EN, ZZ, (and DoW, if I was in a tourney  ;))
POWER CARDS: 8a, 7a, 6a, 5a, 4e, 3m, 2f, 1s
TEAMWORK: 8e+fi, 7e+fi, 6e+fi
ALLY: 5s
ASPECT: A-Next
EVENT: Draw 3 cards (although, I'm very open to suggestion on this one)

Thoughts?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Onslaught

Well, uh...

How did you arrive at that number of avoids? Was it just because you had no other way of reaching 56 cards due to the arbitrary restrictions you put on yourself, or was it determined to be an optimal number somehow? Either way, 15 avoids means that your opponent is just going to be able to smash on Scarlet or Prof X while your avoids sit in your hand doing nothing. If you had a battlesite, a couple of CD or Charm type effects could make the crazy avoid strategy at least somewhat viable for a turn. Generally the idea of running heavy duplicate avoids was to use Vertigo (or now Image Inducer) to stop everything your opponent had and capitalize on THEIR avoids becoming dead cards while you won venture off a + or - effect. Modern decks are too diverse for this to be a viable tactic anymore.

Also, I'm not sure what kind of decks that this deck is intended to play against. I guess you can't play it against other decks composed of only one of each card, since this deck doesn't meet that requirement. Even if you did play it against decks with that restriction, it seems like you would lose by venture in 2 or 3 turns due to all the avoids sitting unusable in your hand. If you're dead set on only running one of each card (except of a card that you want to run 10+ of), don't run any events so that your max deck size can fall to 51 - which will allow you to cut a bunch of the avoids since they seem to just be in here as a way of reaching the minimum deck size.

I guess I just don't get where this deck is meant to sit. It doesn't fit into your own house rule "One Per Deck" thing, and the OPD restriction would make it unplayable vs. any normal deck, let alone trying to use the 15 avoid thing...

drdeath25

Quote from: Onslaught on May 02, 2011, 01:05:26 PM

I guess I just don't get where this deck is meant to sit. It doesn't fit into your own house rule "One Per Deck" thing, and the OPD restriction would make it unplayable vs. any normal deck, let alone trying to use the 15 avoid thing...

I think this is a "Tournament Deck" concept.

gameplan.exe

First, keep in mind, that my other post about the "OPD Deck" was, by no means, any kind of house rule. Sometimes I just find it fun to think of different deck building challenges. It's kind of like playing an RPG with the Initial Equipment, or only the original party, or without using magic, etc.

This one was just a concept, an idea. It does seem like a very risky deck. I certainly wouldn't use it in any kind of serious tournament. I was just taking it as an extension of the idea of limiting discards, ever. Obviously, If my opponent knows ahead of time, what this deck build is (and they will, now), they can strategize to dismantle it, and avoid ever attacking Jubilee or Beyonder. But, any deck has a weakness since there's no unbeatable deck, right?

15 avoids might very well be too much, but I don't see myself getting a "fistful" of avoids. In test draws, I never had more than 3 in a hand. If I some how drew 7 avoids in a hand, I'd put on a bold face, bet 1, and concede. How likely are you to venture strong when you're opponent drew 8 cards with no discards? Then, I'm only looking at 8 more through the rest of the deck, right?

Also, with the front line being what it is, I'm not entirely sure Scarlet Witch dying right away would hurt so much, as I'd get 5 venture back. For her and ProfessorX both, they only have a single OnePerDeck card that would be unplayable by Beyonder (excepting the Power cards and teamworks, adding 2 each).

Finally, there are a couple ways for me to kick attacks back to Jubilee and Beyonder (using the AC cards). But, maybe that is not enough, afterall. I could use a CD/AH/BJ/CW type combo from a battlesite and I could also use an event to lock up my own Front Line character (is that the Hostage Crisis event?). I'll look into that suggestion... thanks  :)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27