Big Apple (Marvels)

Started by LRoq617, May 16, 2011, 07:21:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LRoq617

I recently got the idea to try out Big Apple as a homebase, along with the Marvels set. Here's how it breaks down: running Thunderbolts, Spider-Man, Daredevil, and H4H gives you not only huge stats, but drawing/searching power (Meteorite, With Great Power), good defense (Guardian Devil), teamworks galore (a 6 in every stat), and plenty of offense (H4H specials, Daredevil's 9s, Hawkeye, etc.).

Seems like a good idea on paper, but the issue I'm having is this: With a lineup this strong, who the heck do you run in reserve? They all have so many useful specials that it seems like none of them should be put in the back. Thus far, it seems like the best idea is just to cut Meteorite altogether and just keep the Thunderbolts in reserve and run Hawkeye as their only special.

Thoughts on thoughts? And does this idea seem to hold merit, you think?

Palatinus

You could always run a mission that will move the reserve to the front line or allow them to play specials for a battle.  That will potentially allow you to get more play out of the reserve.  Or a KO event that will allow you to burn through one of your front line quickly.  You could also use a battlesite with specials that would allow the reserve to attack or switch places with a front line character.

Onslaught

Just put Thunderbolts in reserve with the -10.

Palatinus

Quote from: Onslaught on May 16, 2011, 09:16:05 AM
Just put Thunderbolts in reserve with the -10.

Yeah, or that.  The only good card the Thunderbolts really bring is the 10.

Jack

I had the exact same idea, I put Thunderbolts in the back with 7E teamwork and Hawkeye placed. Meteorite isn't as fun to play as With Great Power... since you only get to peek at the top 2 cards and you lose Meteorite after playing it.

BigBadHarve

For Big Apple, I've found a pretty efficient build to be:

Daredevil, Heroes For Hire, Morbius with Spider Man in reserve.

Except Daredevil, they all have a common 6 in strength. Multi 5 and anypower 5-7 help offset the slight grid discrepancy and keep DD alive. Add to that he has good personal defense.

The offensive capability of this team is solid, and with Daredevil's marvels you get added defense. Morbius has at least a limited negate to stop opponent's non-numerical tricks.

Use Age of Apocalypse to get the mission reset event. On top of it helping you if drawn first round, it's also a nice backup for a little more aggressive betting. And the Martyr for the cause event is great for shifting hits over to Morbius, who can often survive it, if you're careful about what you let land.

I've had some fun with this build. It has some nice offensive power. The obvious pit trap is keeping H4H alive.

-BBH

breadmaster

i've been using this deck a bit too

i tried the same build mentioned: hfh, spidey, daredevil, thunderbolts in reserve with hawkeye

had moderate success with it (when i wasn't playing stupid, as usual).  even played with 2 great powers, as odd as that seems, since every previous time i used it, it was negated...worked out, but there's some contreversy on whether or not it's OPD

my new build has been with the ko event, as mentioned: daredevil, hfh, thunderbolts, spidey in reserve with great power

still have to try that out, but so far i've had no luck with the ko event....comes up waaaay to late for me :(

Jack

WGP is not OPD.

On Ripayuheadoff's Marvels page: http://overpower.ca/archive/Ripayuheadoff/marvelguide/OP.html
QuoteAlternate recommended game text - Look at the top 8 cards in your Draw Pile and select one card to be placed in hand.  May not choose another "With Great Power...".  Put the remaining cards back into the Draw Pile and reshuffle.  Put "With Great Power..." on top of Draw Pile.

Which would imply that there could be more than one in a deck and thus not one per deck.

Kyle

Quote from: breadmaster on May 16, 2011, 02:20:25 PM
but there's some contreversy on whether or not it's OPD

I wouldn't call it controversy, I was just surprised to find out it wasn't a OPD. Seems powerful enough to be one. :)

Palatinus

Quote from: Kyle on May 17, 2011, 02:25:32 AM
Quote from: breadmaster on May 16, 2011, 02:20:25 PM
but there's some contreversy on whether or not it's OPD

I wouldn't call it controversy, I was just surprised to find out it wasn't a OPD. Seems powerful enough to be one. :)

It is a good card, but really doesn't need to be one per deck because 1) It loses nearly all of its usefulness in a battlesite, so no need to limit it as the OPD there, and 2) having more than one in your deck only increases your chance of drawing one sooner, but also means you have a high chance of drawing both in the same hand due to the nature of the card.