Standoff (FD - THE MARVELS)

Started by gameplan.exe, June 16, 2011, 01:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameplan.exe

I particularly like this card (as opposed to the other FD-coded Special cards), because it says right on it that there's no conceding allowed, once that card sticks. With this in mind, I recently built a DEPT H team and I was trying to find a Battlesite to capitalize on Wolverine's Standoff, and I think I may have found the best pairing: Danger Room.

With this Battlesite, you have 3 potential cards that will win you the Venture 9/10 (if Standoff lands).

Gambit's Charm (BJ, OPD) - Obviously, if your opponent only has one target available to them, and that target cannot be attacked, that's going to severely hinder their ability to win the Venture.

Beast's Acrobatics (CD, non-OPD) - This card is almost as good as Charm. The only possible way a single character can attack you, once this is in play with Standoff, is if they are playing with Basic Universe or Training cards. Or if they are Multiple Man or are using a JU-coded special. Pretty unlikely.

Rogue's Southern Belle (AZ, non-OPD) - not typically a useful card. Not only does it only prevent 1 Target from attacking 1 of your FL, but it also only lasts until your target is attacked again. However, with Standoff in play, neither of these issues are a problem. First off, only 2 people are going to be involved in this battle anyway, Wolverine and his victim. So, saying that his victim can't attack him makes it as good as charm - for that turn... but wait, so the card will go away after you attack your victim again? Not necessarily a problem - if you have forced your opponent to Pass! Unless they have some things to do that aren't actually attacks (healing, exchanging, adding to venture) they'll have to pass, since they can't attack, and then they're on the defensive the rest of the battle!

Also for this battlesite, and to help with Rogue's Southern Belle (you'll need a card or two you can play that aren't direct attacks on your victim, until they pass) -

Iceman has 2 more useful cards with his Snow Blind (CM, non-OPD) and his OPAL TANAKA (AF, non-OPD).

With all of these cards that perfectly suit Wolverine's Standoff, it's no wonder he's the only Hero pictured on that Location  8)

Post Merge: July 11, 2011, 08:17:55 PM

It's worth noting that there are still a few Specials that will get around Charm and Acrobatics (either before, or after they are in play).

JZ - example:
Quote* WRECKING BALL (JZ) <CL> {C}
        Acts as a level 5 Strength attack. May not be defended with a Special
            card.

MA - example:
Quote* VINDICATOR (MA) <XM> {C}
        Acts as a level 5 Strength or Intellect attack. May not be defended by
            a card from a Battlesite.

NJ - example:
Quote* PINPOINT LASER (NJ) <XM> {C}
        Acts as a level 4 Strength or Energy attack. Attack is not affected by
            Special cards already in play.

Also, X-WORLD and, ironically, HOLOGRAPHIC ATTACKERS, the Aspect for THE DANGER ROOM will also create some loopholes.

I may have missed some examples, but all in all, these cards aren't too common. Even if you have to face one of those specials, it's not likely to make the difference in the Venture Total. As for the Homebases, they're not exactly the most used (although they are some of my favorites, personally).
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Oscorp

I also love this card!  And will be using a deck that tries to maximize it by playing it in a deck with Department H as a battlesite.

The goal is to get Legacy Regression played on one of my front line, and hope for a Wolvie activator the same hand as Down but Not Out event.  To possibly destroy someone for venture.
I'm rubber and you're glue...

Kal-el

Wait, are those 'may not be defended by a special card' not affected by specials already in play? I always figured that it couldn't be defended, but it could be prevented with a special card.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Kal-el on June 16, 2011, 09:12:50 PM
Wait, are those 'may not be defended by a special card' not affected by specials already in play? I always figured that it couldn't be defended, but it could be prevented with a special card.

sorry, they are. i only meant you couldn't use Charm & Acrobatics defensively against JZ or MA

Post Merge: July 23, 2011, 11:51:51 AM

I had another thought about this card. Because it says on it, that the Opponent cannot concede, can I use one of these cards, and land Standoff, to force my Opponent to stay in battle?

Quote* RAGE (BE) <PS> {U}
        Wolverine may make 1 attack after opponent has conceded the battle.
            Opponent may defend.

Quote* URBAN HUNTERS (BE) (H) <DCP> {X} [OPD]
        Any Front Line Character may make 1 attack after opponent has conceded
            the battle. Opponent may defend.

Quote* 6S 6A  SHADOWHELMET  <IM> {R} [OPD]
     Teammate may make 1 attack after Opponent has Conceded the battle.
       Opponent may defend.

Seems like I can. Seems like it's the same as playing

Quote* PAYBACK (BL) <XM> {R} [OPD]
        Play when Opponent concedes battle. Opponent may not concede battle.

... thoughts?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Ranerdar

I'm polymerized tree sap and you're an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns on its original trajectory and adheres to you.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: ncannelora on July 18, 2011, 03:52:05 PM
I had another thought about this card. Because it says on it, that the Opponent cannot concede, can I use one of these cards, and land Standoff, to force my Opponent to stay in battle?

Quote* RAGE (BE) <PS> {U}
        Wolverine may make 1 attack after opponent has conceded the battle.
            Opponent may defend.

Quote* URBAN HUNTERS (BE) (H) <DCP> {X} [OPD]
        Any Front Line Character may make 1 attack after opponent has conceded
            the battle. Opponent may defend.

Quote* 6S 6A  SHADOWHELMET  <IM> {R} [OPD]
     Teammate may make 1 attack after Opponent has Conceded the battle.
       Opponent may defend.

Seems like I can. Seems like it's the same as playing

Quote* PAYBACK (BL) <XM> {R} [OPD]
        Play when Opponent concedes battle. Opponent may not concede battle.

... thoughts?

Well, Payback prevents him from conceding anyway. But yes, I would argue that playing Standoff after your opponent concedes will prevent him from conceding so long as it lands successfully. You don't ignore the secondary effects of any other special even if it's played after the opponent concedes, why would standoff be any different?

-BBH

Jack

I think he means playing it when the opponent concedes, thus allowing you to make another attack. Which is then the FD and nullifies the conceding.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Jack on July 18, 2011, 04:13:38 PM
I think he means playing it when the opponent concedes, thus allowing you to make another attack. Which is then the FD and nullifies the conceding.

Ah yes. Re-read that. Same thing stands, playing Standoff after he concedes would essentially be the same as hitting him with taunt or payback.

-BBH

gameplan.exe

A dispute came up last Saturday in my use of this card and I wanted to bring it up here and (hopefully) find some validation.

I played TK SHIELD from Jean Grey: Dark Phoenix (her "EB" Special from The Marvels) which says,

QuotePlay during battle. For remainder of game, any attack made on Jean Grey's team may be moved to TK Shield. Jean Grey's team may not defend. TK Shield is discarded after 1 Hit.

After that was in play, I used STANDOFF from a Battlesite, for Phoenix (regular, not Dark  ;)).

During that battle, I moved an attack to the TK SHIELD and I was met with resistance.

My argument: The Special is already in play, and neither Pheonix (dark or regular) was playing the card. Since the attack was, in fact, an "attack made on Jean Grey's team," and therefore, I could move the attack to the Special.

His argument: If Phoenix is the one who played STANDOFF, she cannot make use of Specials from other characters, even if they were already in play, because Jean Grey cannot defend her (per the STANDOFF text).

Thoughts?
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Nate Grey

I would have to side with your opponent based on reading the card. Part of the card reads that only Wolverine can defend during Standoff, and in a sense, Jean is defending with that played special, not Wolverine. Just my opinion. I could be wrong.  :) I would be interested to read the official ruling.

gameplan.exe

that's an interesting POV. I can almost go with that, except in my mind, Jean isn't doing anything, it's that she had already done something (ie, before STANDOFF was played)... anyway, thanks for the feedback. I look forward to hearing more.

Also, I've thought of another question about STANDOFF (and the other FD specials).

What happens, exactly, if the Event: HELLFIRE CLUB ATTACKS is in play, and some one shifts the FD attack to the Reserve? will that end the battle? or does it create a "bridge" for the two to continue to attack eachother? Seems like it'd end the battle right then... unless of course, the two characters have other ways to attack eachother (or the STANDOFF player can continue to attack their battlesite).
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Jack

For the first question, the special would be attacked and that would violate the text on FD.

Second question, the card overrules the reserve not being able to do anything and thus it would be legal to shift the attack to R and have them carry out the duties of FD.

Ranerdar

Is "moving" the same as "attacking"?
I'm polymerized tree sap and you're an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns on its original trajectory and adheres to you.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Jack on September 27, 2011, 11:11:07 AM
For the first question, the special would be attacked and that would violate the text on FD.

Second question, the card overrules the reserve not being able to do anything and thus it would be legal to shift the attack to R and have them carry out the duties of FD.

So, are you saying that with STANDOFF in play, I also cannot attack my opponent? or my opponent's other cards? So I couldn't play Scarlet Witch's AI, Huntress's EP, Reaver's GL, Colossus' OC, etc? I couldn't attack DEVOURER of WORLDS? That seems silly. I really think the intent of the FD Specials is that it reduces the battle to two characters, just like having only 2 characters left in the game.

Also, then what about if I already had Maverick's BG in play, before I played STANDOFF? Do you think Wolverine is still +2 to all actions? or do you think that is nullified, then?

Quote(121) Specials that alter which Character can be targeted do not alter the players choice to attack the Battlesite or the opponent - only the decision of which Character can be targeted.

Regarding the EVENT, it's not the Reserve who is shifting the attack, it's the Front Line. When that Event is in play, I cannot choose to target my opponent's Reserve. I still have to target their front line characters, and then they could choose to shift it to the Reserve.
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Jack

If you were to go with the literal text on the card, yes, you can't attack the opponent.

Having BG is fair game because the BG card is not a target. Of course assuming it's in play before FD was played.

QuoteAny attack made on a front line hero may be moved to the reserve hero, who may defend.
So, the FD was moved to the reserve and the reserve chose not to defend. The special:
QuoteOnly Wolverine and Target Character may attack, be attacked or defend this battle. Neither player may concede this battle.
It modifies the condition of the battle and says that the Reserve, who is now the target of the FD, may attack/be attack/defend.