String Theory

Started by gameplan.exe, June 25, 2011, 05:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameplan.exe

So, I've seen several ways to string attacks together (with AA, AB, DG, JC, etc.); some are cooler than others. Lots of them are fairly hypothetical (for example, being able to string 8+ attacks), but others are fairly reliable. In general, when I've built teams around this concept, they end up fairly weak, since most of the chaining attacks are lv.3-5 attacks...

So, 2 questions

1) What are some successful teams that you've built, around the ability to sting several attacks together?*

2) What's the best string of attacks you've actually pulled off?*

*I realize that teamworks are great ways to string attacks, as are the BV-coded Specials

Post Merge: July 08, 2011, 03:43:16 PM

The deck I most recently made was

Nightcrawler, TeamX, Bishop, Morph3(R)

I played with the FIGHTING SPIRIT LIVES! Event (All Special cards in your hand may be played by any Hero, for remainder of battle.)

Bishop was in for his Temporal Anomaly, bringing the Event back

Morph was there for his Substitute Death and low Grid.

With the Event, I can hypothetically play 9 cards in a row. Without the Event, Bishop can get 3 off, Nightcrawler can get 5 off, and Team X can go 6.  I played a few games today, though, and the best I put up was 5, but I did it a few times, which is cool  8)
I only won a single game, though, because my Venture kept coming up short  :-\
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Onslaught

Are you practicing chaining attacks by chaining replies to your own posts? Damn, that's meta.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Onslaught on June 25, 2011, 07:37:54 PM
Are you practicing chaining attacks by chaining replies to your own posts? Damn, that's meta.

No.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Overtime

Grats on 260.

Oscorp

I don't see how this post has anything to do with the original post.  Please only post things relevant to the discussion.

At the last toronto meetup one of the players used a Beyonder deck with Hawkeye, X-babies and X-man.  Using beyonder he was able to string together some strong must block strings of 3 or 4 specials.  He would lead in with either an ally card or an AA, AB from his battlesite and follow it with Hawkeye and X-Man's multi 4's and close with li'l Colossus.  Very devastating.

I like to employ the FE specials (Cosmic Alliance) if led in with an Ally it can be a 4 card string and 2 of the attacks can be whatever you want.  Same with using an Ally to lead into a DG (Eldritch Blasts) or ID (Gauntlet Blasters) special can give you 4 attacks with the last two being whatever you need.

just some ideas.
I'm rubber and you're glue...

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Oscorp on June 25, 2011, 10:06:26 PM

I don't see how this post has anything to do with the original post.  Please only post things relevant to the discussion.

At the last toronto meetup one of the players used a Beyonder deck with Hawkeye, X-babies and X-man.  Using beyonder he was able to string together some strong must block strings of 3 or 4 specials.  He would lead in with either an ally card or an AA, AB from his battlesite and follow it with Hawkeye and X-Man's multi 4's and close with li'l Colossus.  Very devastating.

I like to employ the FE specials (Cosmic Alliance) if led in with an Ally it can be a 4 card string and 2 of the attacks can be whatever you want.  Same with using an Ally to lead into a DG (Eldritch Blasts) or ID (Gauntlet Blasters) special can give you 4 attacks with the last two being whatever you need.

just some ideas.

Yeah, Beyonder could probably do some crazy, crazy strings using those non-OPD double-follow up attacks! How did his Beyonder deck do, overall?
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

Quote from: ncannelora on June 26, 2011, 05:03:49 PM
Yeah, Beyonder could probably do some crazy, crazy strings using those non-OPD double-follow up attacks! How did his Beyonder deck do, overall?

That's Pass the Gestalt's deck, he's been refining it for a few months now. Each new tweak makes it that much more of a pain to defeat. He didn't fare too well in the April tournament, but he seemed pleased with the results of this meet up.

I've played him more than a few games, and it seems to be a deck of extremes - either he just walks right over his opponents, or he gets crushed. No middle of the road victories. (That I've seen)

-BBH

Jack

Videos will be up tomorrow, he's in at least 4 of them.

The Dude

When I think string attack heroes, my first thought is always White Queen because has the ever-powerful JW plus an AA that can set it off. Throw in an Ally and she can make 4 attacks at once just by herself the last two of which cannot be defended by Specials.

Then as most people know Beyonder can be string machine. White Queen is 17 points so to get her on team with Beyonder you need a 15 pointer. That usually means X-Babies but they don't fit this theme. However 3-stat Morph comes in at 14 points and has a 2+2 Special for theme theme plus he can subsitite death to hopefully revive Beyonder or White Queen when he comes up from reserve.

That leaves us with 17 points for the final spot, and when I think 17-point string heroes, after White Queen my second favorite choice is Crux. In this case she also fills the double roll of having two sting specials plus being E/F grid to help back-up both White Queen and Morph (in case substitute death doesn't work).

This team in an ideal hand can make an 8 card string attack that goes something like this: 3S ally from any teammate of Beyonder followed by White Queen's AA followed by Amazing X-man followed by any individual attack of your choice followed by Heatforce followed by Coldforce followed by White Queen's JW followed by a Power card (that can't be defended by a Special card)

gameplan.exe

Quote from: The Dude on June 30, 2011, 12:02:44 PM
When I think string attack heroes, my first thought is always White Queen because has the ever-powerful JW plus an AA that can set it off. Throw in an Ally and she can make 4 attacks at once just by herself the last two of which cannot be defended by Specials.

Then as most people know Beyonder can be string machine. White Queen is 17 points so to get her on team with Beyonder you need a 15 pointer. That usually means X-Babies but they don't fit this theme. However 3-stat Morph comes in at 14 points and has a 2+2 Special for theme theme plus he can subsitite death to hopefully revive Beyonder or White Queen when he comes up from reserve.

That leaves us with 17 points for the final spot, and when I think 17-point string heroes, after White Queen my second favorite choice is Crux. In this case she also fills the double roll of having two sting specials plus being E/F grid to help back-up both White Queen and Morph (in case substitute death doesn't work).

This team in an ideal hand can make an 8 card string attack that goes something like this: 3S ally from any teammate of Beyonder followed by White Queen's AA followed by Amazing X-man followed by any individual attack of your choice followed by Heatforce followed by Coldforce followed by White Queen's JW followed by a Power card (that can't be defended by a Special card)

Nice!
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Ranerdar

Quote from: The Dude on June 30, 2011, 12:02:44 PM

I don't think this works according to the Sum Deck Rule. 15 point team is 72 points. 72-28 for Beyonder is 44 - 17 for White Queen is 27 - 14 for 3 stat Morph leave 13 points.
I'm polymerized tree sap and you're an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns on its original trajectory and adheres to you.

bamf!

Actually, he was correct.

76 (16 grid team): 28 + 17 + 10(+4 offset) +17 =76

or less confusing without the offset
72 (15 grid team): 28 +17+10+17=72

Hope this clear it up.

bamf!

Ranerdar

I see. That does clear it up.
I'm polymerized tree sap and you're an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns on its original trajectory and adheres to you.

Day Tripper

Wolverine can pull off a deadly string if set up right, and if the opponent doesn't have a negate. Use standoff to start, then after your opponents turn use his 4f make another attack, tracking sense, a-next and then whatever power card you have to finish it off. Run that in a team x deck with the switch with reserve event and you've got a one turn win, or atleast a huge venture swing

Demacus

Doesn't throwing A-next into the middle of the string actually end the string? Same rules that affect Death From Above?