Champion Deck

Started by gameplan.exe, July 12, 2011, 12:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameplan.exe

I've found these boards to be very informative. They've changed my gameplay and deck building a lot and I genuinely appreciate all of the constructive criticism of my deck details and other deck details (even from Onslaught and drdeath25  ;))

With this topic, I'm hoping that some of our more experienced and successful forum members will be willing to share their own detailed decks. Here's what I'm asking:

If you've won a tournament recently (last online tourney, with BBH's crew in CAN, up in NE, or anywhere else where there was a tournament competition recently)...
Would you mind posting your champion deck details here? If you still have them, I'm sure we'd all be curious to see the stack of success  :)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Demacus

I've noticed with some of the other games I've played that most winning decks tend to follow an almost basic formula.

With M:TG, most winning decks tend to have ratios of 1/3 for each instance of card play.  Example:  An average 60 card deck would have 20-22 land/resources 18-20 creatures/artifacts and 18-22 instant/sorcery/enchantment spells (depending on playstyle and purpose of the deck, or course.)

As far as OP goes, I think I may have found a similar formula, but I have yet to test my theory out.  When I actually do test and get a feel for the ratios, I'll be glad to post my findings, though I will have to try out several decks following that formula as closely as possible.

If anyone has some insight to add, feel free.  Ultimately though, it's all just luck of the draw.

Hot Rod

If I find the effort to do so I'll post my deck from the last tournament later tonight maybe.   :P

Anyway, I'd say the biggest points of any tournament winning deck is: having a strategy to actually win the game, redundancy, and utility.  It's entirely possible in Overpower to just make a deck with high venture, like say the "8" deck, but how do you actually win the game?  A deck like that will easily get out maneuvered by a deck with strong utility cards like Penance Stare, a Finite Power + Wisecrack combo, or even just straight up 30 hits to KO specials backed with AL codes to force hit trading.

Being able to win venture is an important part of any deck, but at what cost?  A greedy deck with a single 8 stat hero is going to get rocked by the KO event, or a deck with hard to block attacks unless it has a strategy to work around them.  So redundancy is key here.

In another scenario is a utlity, what happens if I'm playing an Any Hero deck that gets Devourer out on me before I can GL it?  Well, that's where a card like Vikiing Pyre comes in, since you can remove all the activators from your deck.

A game winning strategy can be many things such as: Viking Pyre into perfect hand + New Lease on Life to reset your deck, a venture dumping strategy using Hawkeye's Marvel card + Onslaughts Citedal, or even just super cheese like Soul Gem + Acrobatics.

@Demacus

I'm curious to see your formula on deck building, considering you played Vs at a high level, and seem to know MTG.  When I look back at the decks from right before OP died, I can't help but notice how flawed they are when it comes to the ratio of cards.  A 56-60 card deck running multiple 1's and 2's with 0 Ally cards in it seems like complete madness to me.  If you used one of those old decks today, you'd actually be at a disadvantage, even though the card pool hasn't changed.

gameplan.exe

I'm with you on all that Hot Rod. It's not that I'm going to try to emulate any particular deck, mostly I just find it fascinating.

Overpower has tremendous flexibility, and so there are no sure-fire ways to build a deck. Even with the most mathmatically potent deck (it would be possible, if you had the time, resources, and skills), considering all possible variables, it's always going to come down to the draw.

So, I realize that my 8+++ Deck, for example, needs some strategy for escaping holds or Power Leech, etc, but that's not really what I'm after. I'm never looking to build the perfect deck. I'm just really curious about the decks made it to the top  :)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Hot Rod

Here it is!

H4H
Marauders
Phoenix
Hawkeye(R)

Onslaughts Citedal

Infinity Gauntlet

Specials: 16

Black Knight x2
White Tiger x2
Iron Fist
Block Buster
Arc Light
Vertigo
Harpoon
Malice
Telepathic Power
Warn and Change
Manifest Phoenix
Dynamite Delivery x2
Combat Leader

Power: 17

8S x3
7F
7S
7A
6F
6S
6A
5F
5M
5A
4M x2
3M
2E
1M

Universe: 4

8S F/E
7E S/F
7F S/E
5I Ally

Artifact: 3

Image Inducer x3

Battlesite: 13

Master Mold
Mutant Countermeasures
Herald of Onslaught
Gather Info
Strategic Assault (OPD)
Impervious Crystal
Apocalyptic Minion
Raw Power
Merciless Conqueror
Beastial Brawn
Analyze
Acrobatics
(Beyonder)

Events: 3

Mad God Raises Dead
Heroes Resurrected
Gods of Stone

Total: 56

It works pretty well with BBH's format, and I think it would probably do fine under normal legion rules if you can go first enough with an Image Inducer.

gameplan.exe

Very cool!  8) thanks HotRod!
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

breadmaster

here are some thoughts on my winning deck

Beyonder, X-Men: Original Team, X-Babies, Professor X (3grid) (R). 

Battlesite: Stark Enterprises, Homebase: Marvel Universe, Mission: The Crossing

this is the team matt g created, and dubbed 'beyonderX'. 

Beyonder speaks for himself.  Xbabies are in there for sum-deck/excellent specials.  An 8 in reserve to protect for late game is standard, and 3grid prof fills this role perfectly. 

where i fell in love with the deck, was matt's choice for the 4th member.  since most beyonder decks follow a similar formula, this 4th one can make or break your deck.  the choice of xmen allows you to play their teammate avoids to protect anyone, and allows you to put ALL FOUR of the professors EXCELLENT opd's in, while keeping him tucked away safely in reserve.

by not using lil rogue, you reduce the amount of unusables after ko-ing any character to zero.

as mentioned before, i chose stark enterprises battlesite for access to the quiver of arrows from hawkeye (may place unlimited specials, may not be dupes HH).  the only other site with this card i believe is the one with tiffany.  besides not owning any image cards, it also seems to lack defensive variety.  with the addition of marvels cards, stark got a massive upgrade.  there's iron man's avoid/draw, hawkeye's action leader, and war machine's fight it out.

i went low with the power card count, in an effort to reduce dupes

i used 2 events: ko event, and hideout discovered.  hideout was good to me the whole tournament, gobbling up placed teammworks (of which i use none)

here's the deck list:

battlesite/activators (13)

hawkeye-field dressing
hawkeye-action leader (marvels)
hawkeye-quiver of arrows
captain america-sharon carter
captain america-mighty shield
iron man-armored avenger (marvels)
iron man-in the line of fire
war machine-fight it out (marvels)
war machine-hidden weapon
spider-woman-web lines
spider-woman-spider attack

power cards: (16)

1s (2)
2f (2)
3m (2)
4m (2)
5a
5m
6a
6e
7a
7e
8a
8e

universe (3)

ally 3f
ally 3s
ally 1i (6a to use)

events/aspect (3)

heroes avenge murder
hideout discovered
a-next

specials (21)

XMEN
teammate avoid (3)
beast
cyclops
iceman

XBABIES
negate (3)
lil iceman
lil dazzler
lil wolvie
lil colossus
lil phoenix

PROFESSOR X
cerebro
mental bolt (marvels)
mindwipe
psionic hold
psychic shield
read mind
telepathic coordination

for a deck total of 56. i believe there are 19 chances to dupe in this deck

questions?, comments? criticisms?

gameplan.exe

thanks for the breakdown, breadmaster! that is indeed a formidable deck! Obviously, it can only tolerate a small amount of criticism, since you did win a tournament with it  8)
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Demacus

Solid stuff.  My old OP formulas didn't run Allys, since, having never played in an OP tourney, and NONE of my friends used them after "May" was officially changed to "Must," I didn't realize how potent they actually are.  I've learned a lot just by reading these forums and from our online tourney that Breadmaster hosted.

I never had a solid idea of how many power cards were feasable in a deck, how many was too many, too few, how heavy the specials in the deck should be, never quite knew how Aspects worked as far as attacks/defenses, ect, ect... 

VS/M:TG I've done tournaments, so my experience in those games is much greater, as are my deckbuilding strategies.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Demacus on September 02, 2011, 07:17:58 PM
Solid stuff.  My old OP formulas didn't run Allys, since, having never played in an OP tourney, and NONE of my friends used them after "May" was officially changed to "Must," I didn't realize how potent they actually are.  I've learned a lot just by reading these forums and from our online tourney that Breadmaster hosted.

I never had a solid idea of how many power cards were feasable in a deck, how many was too many, too few, how heavy the specials in the deck should be, never quite knew how Aspects worked as far as attacks/defenses, ect, ect... 

VS/M:TG I've done tournaments, so my experience in those games is much greater, as are my deckbuilding strategies.

Yeah, that's a big reason I wanted to start this thread. Those of us who don't have extensive tournament experience have a tougher time gauging what's successful and what's not. I mean, it's not an exact science, by any means, but there are definitely trends.

Also, I'm always torn about Ally cards. They're incredibly useful if you're trying to make a deck that will string lots of attacks. Otherwise, they definitely have use as a precursor to playing other Specials that require a turn (EB, CG, HQ, etc). But, just as an attack, they're obviously not too potent (1-3). I'm always torn about how many to use, or even whether or not to use them at all! Lately, I've been replacing a lv.1 & 2 PC with two lv.5/3 Ally cards. I figure 3+3 is at least bigger than 1+2, right?  :)
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

Quote from: ncannelora on September 02, 2011, 08:30:09 PM
Also, I'm always torn about Ally cards. They're incredibly useful if you're trying to make a deck that will string lots of attacks. Otherwise, they definitely have use as a precursor to playing other Specials that require a turn (EB, CG, HQ, etc). But, just as an attack, they're obviously not too potent (1-3). I'm always torn about how many to use, or even whether or not to use them at all! Lately, I've been replacing a lv.1 & 2 PC with two lv.5/3 Ally cards. I figure 3+3 is at least bigger than 1+2, right?  :)

I love using allies, and will usually throw one or two in. (No more than two.)

They are good for starting strings of course, but they also help in balancing the spectrum of your attacks. Using allies that represent your major offsuit can prove to be a nice irritant to your opponent.

My 'Champion' team:

Technically, we're not quite done Breadman's OPO tournament yet, so I'm not officially the champ (there is still an elimination round) but I'm happy to share the breakdown of my 'Trick or Treat' deck for those who are interested.

X-babies, Ghost Rider, Morbius and Spider Woman (r)

Homebase: Marvel Universe
Battlesite: Krakoa

Colossus: Siberian Strength
Colossus: Haymaker
Wolverine: Snikt
Wolverine: Tracking Senses
Polaris: Manipulate Magnetism
Polaris: Magnetic field
Angel: High Flyer
Angel: Neuro Toxin
Thunderbird: Keen senses
Thunderbird: Apache Warrior
Sunfire: Ionize Matter

X-babies:
Lil Phoenix
Lil Dazzler
Lil Colossus
Lil Rogue
Lil Iceman
Lil Longshot X3

Ghost Rider:
Play with Fire
Fire and Brimstone
Hell on Wheels
Penance Stare
Demon Chain
Bat out of Hell

Morbius:
Savage Combat
Shadowy Escape
Undead Stamina X2
Blood Hunger
Living Vampire

Spider Woman:
Rescue Operation X3

Power Cards:
6 - Strength X3
5 - Multi, Energy X2
4 - Multi X3
3 - Fighting X3
2 - Energy, Fighting, Strength
1 - Intellect X3

Teamwork:
6 E to use - +1/+2 F/S
6 F to use - +1/+2 E/S
6 S to use - +1/+2 E/F
6 A to use - +0/+0

Ally:
5 or less Intellect to use
5 or less Fighting to use

Artifacts:
Image Inducer

Aspect:
A-next

Mission: Maximum Carnage

Events:
Lambs to the Slaughter
Miracle Worker Alive
Any mission: Sovereign Seven

The team is designed to hit hard and fast. You need to take the win before getting to power pack, or else you're in trouble. But you also have the ability to soak a lot of damage if you take hits strategically, so you can manufacture card advantage just by taking shots. Your opponent hits you a few times and the next thing he knows is that you're really not hurting and still up a bunch of cards while he's all out of defense. Your events will heal you as you go as well, to remove strategic damage and keep the boys fighting. Keep card advantage for the Lambs to the Slaughter round and you can really hammer your opponent nicely. Lambs to the Slaughter with either Play with Fire or a Colossus Activator for Siberian Strength is deadly. If you manage to have both it can be truly devastating to your opponent.

And of course, lastly, your offensive power is solid. There isn't an attack your opponent can afford to take. The spectrum is evenly spread out, as well you have a variety of tricks and power attacks.

And those are my Trick or Treaters. ;)

-BBH

breadmaster

ok, here's the breakdown for my HB deck that won the 2nd online tourney

dark beast, puppet master, captain mar-vell, dr. strange (r) any heroes/team overpower/eye of the storm

most of you guys have played this deck.  the strategy with it, is it's built around the seldom used HB cards.

'Sort through opponent's Power Pack and remove any 3 cards of Beast's choice. Discard chosen cards into Dead Pile.  Reshuffle Power Pack.'

only 2 characters in the game have this card: puppet master and beast.

so, the goal is to play these cards, drain the big power cards from the opponent, drag it to power pack, and win through grinding.  3 cards are there to help me out along the way. 

universal alignment: move all missions to reserve
eye of the storm event: move all cards in completed to reserve
new universe: place and concede

with puppet master's BQ, and the any hero BQ, i get a second crack at the HBs, or universal alignment if necessary

here's the deck list

SPECIALS (30)
10 any heroes (the big 10, no surprises)

Dark Beast
3 negates
acrobatics
brilliant deduction (HB)
drop kick
stars and garters

Puppet Master
automatons
criminal mastermind (HB)
liddleville
mental domination

Captain Mar-Vell
1-9 avoid (3)
cosmic avenger (marvels)
nega bands
universal alignment

Dr Strange
1-6 avoid (3/marvels)

EVENTS/ARTIFACTS/ASPECTS (6)
eye of the storm (move missions)
soverign 7
hideout discovered
a-next
myrluu symbiote
witchblade

POWER CARDS (16)
8E (2)
7E/7A
6I/6A
5m/5A
4i (2)
3f (2)
2E/2m
1s (2)

UNIVERSE (4)
5i+3ally
5s+3ally
5f+3ally
5e+3ally

for a 56 card deck

a problem i'd change, which i somehow didn't catch when building it, was including allys that only 1 character can use...not too wise

a glaring weakness of the deck, is the sheer number of cards you can draw that have no effect on venture/current battle.  more than once i drew almost half my hand full of said cards, and was forced to keep them in hand, and concede before battle, just so my opponent couldn't rake me over the coals with venture

overall, i'm very pleased with this deck, and welcome any comments/criticism.

gameplan.exe

It was only a little 6-person, double elim tournament, but I did still win, so I thought I'd share. I wanted to make a Mega-Marvels deck and include a whole bunch of the cards from that set, and this is what I used:

Roster:
17Crystal - 9i 8m AV EE* EE* EE*
14Cyclops - 7f 6e AU AG 9e* 9e*
19Phoenix - 11m 7f CW LO* LO* LO*
21JGDPhoneix - 9s, BH, EB*
Battlesite:Krakoa - Ang NJ* AG*; Col 7f LO*; Pol DB EB*; Sun AM MT*; Thu NK FX*; Wol AC FD* (w/Beyonder)
Universe: 7E+FS
Power: 8EEA, 7EE, 6EA, 5MA, 4FM, 3FM, 2FM, 1FM
Events: Hideout Discovered!; Battle On The Moon!; Hellfire Club Attacked!
Aspect: A-Next (Marvel Universe)

I was able to land Standoff in each of my 3 games (I went 3-0), and each time it won the Battle, in one case, the Game. At different times, I was able to get use of the extra D.Phoenix' Specials from Reserve (used the MT from Sunfire to use her 9; used the Hellfire Club Event to use her BH).

I'm not convinced the deck is super-strong, or anything, but with good draw timing (which I was getting), it does have tons of potential.
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

drdeath25

I just played my mother in a 2-person tournament. I got 2nd place, unfortunately.

My Deck List:
- Mutants Unite Starter Deck

steve2275

Quote from: drdeath25 on September 27, 2011, 07:16:38 PM
I just played my mother in a 2-person tournament. I got 2nd place, unfortunately.

My Deck List:
- Mutants Unite Starter Deck
so
momma raised a fool?  :P