Mission-themed Decks

Started by gameplan.exe, July 26, 2011, 01:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameplan.exe

notice I didn't say Event-themed.

I love the story of Fatal Attractions and, after I won a used copy of the TPB on ebaY, I decided to build a team based as much as I could on the story-arc. So, not all of the cards are the best, but they are the most accurate  ;)

Line Up:
Gambit - 8A, 8A, 8A, BJ, AT, FK*
Wolverine - 8A, FD*, HG, AC, AG
Rogue - 9F, 6S, 6S, AC, AG
Quicksilver - 11S, AU, CA*
Battlesite - Avalon: Bshp- AC, AY/ Cble- AD, 4F/ Cols- AG, LO*/ PrfX- AH, EQ, 8m
Power cards: 8FFA, 7FFA, 6FFA, 5MA, 4MS, 3SS, 2II, 1I
Teamwork cards: 6E+fs, 6E+fs, 7F+si, 6F+si, 7S+fi
Artifact cards: Super Soldier Serum
Event cards: Best Laid Plans... / A Call To Arms / Hospital Becomes War Zone! / Shockwave Rocks The World!

I refrained from using any Ally cards (because none featured the people involved in Fatal Attractions except the 8E). I also kept A-Next and Beyonder out (since they weren't there, either).

So, with the exception of SSS, all of the cards fit the theme perfectly.  I still put it in for Rogue, specifically because the effect is something she could do herself in a comic, especially w/Wolverine around, but she lacks a Special card enabling that sort of grid alteration.

With the Battlesite, I didn't want Colossus to have any attack Specials. When he became an Acolyte, his help for the X-men didn't involve attacking anyone, so much as protecting his former teammates. Also with the Battlesite, I had to make the OPD be Mindwipe. While I realize that it's not even close to the most useful OPD from that Location, it is the most iconic. Few moments changed the landscape of the Marvel Universe, like the moment Professor X made Magneto a vegetable.

All in all, it's a fun deck to play for the nerdism, but also because it works pretty well. It has some glaring weaknesses, but also some fun tricks.

Has anyone else made a deck based on such a specific story-arc? Specifically, another Mission Set?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Oscorp

I've made a Maximum carnage deck and a Dark Phoenix Saga deck..  but I don't think I went to the same lengths as you in card selection.  The Dark Phoenix team is actually pretty solid.  I think it was White Queen, Donald Pierce, Black King and Dark Phoenix in reserve.  And Maximum Carnage was Spiderman, Doppleganger, Carnage and Venom but I didn't use the mission set I used the Brave and the Bold to use the KO event.
I'm rubber and you're glue...

gameplan.exe

yeah, I've made a Dark Phoenix Saga deck, but not quite so extreme as the one above.

I've made about 6 different Age Of Apocalypse decks and kept their battlesites true to the plots within AoA. That one is a lot easier, though, since it has such a broad scope of characters involved.

I currently have a Gambit & the X-Ternals deck together:
Jubilee, Gambit, Starjammers   [Wundagore Mt]
           Deathbird                       Colossus
                                                  Nightcrawler
                                                  Quicksilver
                                                  Scarlet Witch (even though she died pretty early in AoA)

Kudos on the Maximum Carnage deck, though. Spider-Man decks can be quite challenging to build
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Demacus

It's really a shame that the game didn't hang on... Avengers Disassembled, House of M, Civil War... So many potential missions that really could have rocked of what the game was capable.

Palatinus

I really like the mission themed deck build.  If I had people to play with I'd probably make a small tournament style setting with something matching this.  Probably make specific rules about what characters could appear or at least make everyone justify their team and battlesite.  I have no decks built at the moment as I just went through a major sorting of cards, but I will definitely be building a mission themed deck when I makes some new decks up.

Demacus

Looks like I won't be leaving So. Fla. this year, but as soon as I get close enough to compete face-to-face, OPO is where you'll find me and my Mission themed-deck. Now to build one. Lol

gameplan.exe

25 year old SPOILER * * *

So, I don't use hugely varied rosters (x-men, gotham, and no bad guys) (oh, and Thor  ;)), but I do love making story-arc-based decks. Now, I don't have/use any characters from the Annihilation Affair, but I was thinking of a similar story from X-men... and I wanted to use Thor... so

The Morlock Massacre: an annihilation affair
Thor, Morlocks, X-Men:OT (rep' X-Factor)    [Muir Island]
         Storm:N                                              Colossus       \
                                                                    Nightcrawler   >--- all mortally wounded in the Massacre
                                                                    Shadowcat    /

It doesn't look too strong, but I figure if I get crushed, then it's apt anyway, on account of the massacre... lol... morbid humor  :-[                           
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Demacus

Lol you're an interesting fellow.  There isn't a mission set for what I have in mind, but there was a good story arc involving Magneto a while back that might make a good team...

Kyle

Quote from: ncannelora on August 14, 2011, 04:12:09 AM
So, I don't use hugely varied rosters (x-men, gotham, and no bad guys) (oh, and Thor  ;))

Just out of curiosity... why?

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Kyle on August 14, 2011, 02:21:54 PM
Quote from: ncannelora on August 14, 2011, 04:12:09 AM
So, I don't use hugely varied rosters (x-men, gotham, and no bad guys) (oh, and Thor  ;))

Just out of curiosity... why?

Only good guys because bad guys are losers  ;)

As for the others, I just don't really care about the other characters... I suppose it really traces back to the good ol' Fox cartoons. They were already such awesome shows in their own right, but also I was 10 in 1992. I suppose the combination of those two things meant that the X-men and Batman became my favorite.

Oh, and Thor because I liked Final Fantasy so much, which introduced me to Odin, which introduced me to Norse mythology and Thor.

Plus it makes my collection easier to manage and cheaper  ;D
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

gameplan.exe

So, I also recently read the Days of Future Past arc and promptly became consumed with trying to build a good team out of that story, using the Sins of the Future Missions... so far, I have

[Phoenix] [Storm] [Nightcrawler]
            [Shadowcat]

This is proving to be pretty challenging to bring together into something a little more, though. I like involving a Battlesite when I can get a few more people out of it, but I think these are the only other heroes that were involved:
magneto, colossus, professor x, and wolverine

So, I could go with the above build and Avalon for a Battlesite with prof, colossus, and magneto... or I could go

[Phoenix] [Magneto3] [Wolverine]
                   [Storm]

And use Muir Island for a Battlesite with colossus, nightcrawler, prof, and shadowcat...

I'll keep working on it, but I'm open to suggestions  :)
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

gameplan.exe

So, I did a little research (which means I read wiki  ;)) and I got an overview of how the sequel went (Days of Future Present). In the follow up, quite a few more people were involved including 2 obvious choices for Battlesites...

Four Freedoms Plaza - the Fantastic Four and their home played a role in the sequel

"SHIP" - The newly formed X-Factor and their newly commandeered base of operations also played a role in the sequel

Considering I don't have any of the FFP characters, I think if I want to expand to a Battlesite, then I'll also just "include" the sequel (after all, the Missions do seem to include both arcs, what with Nimrod being depicted) and I'll go this route:

[Phoenix] [Storm] [Nightcrawler]     [SHIP]
            [Shadowcat]                        (no Apocalypse)

I think I'll have to get ahold of these books and give them a read first, though. That way if any specific cards come into play, I can be sure to use them  ;D

EDIT:

okay, so who can wait that long when they have new ideas for decks?  :P

So, I changed it up a little and now the Front Line are actually from the initial story's future

Roster:
Phoenix - 11m 7f BZ MI CW LO* LO*
Magneto - 11a 6e 4m AV
Colossus - 7f OC AC AG LO* LO*
Shadowcat - HQ AD AD
"SHIP" - angel 6E AG*, beast AO CD, cyke 9E* 7F, iceman AI AD, jean AX EB*(OPD)
Teamwork Cards - 8E+si, 7E+si, 6E+si, 6I+es, 6I+es
Power Cards - 8eea 7esa, 6esa, 5ma, 4mm, 3si, 2si, 1si
Events - ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT! and RUDE AWAKENING!

I debated a bit about the "remove F icon hits" Event, but decided it can be quite helpful if you know it's coming. It's pretty easy to plan around it for both hits taken and damage dealt out. All in all, this deck seems like it can be pretty fun (from the nerdy end, not necessarily the potent/strategic end). It may still be awhile before I get around to building it IRL though  :-\
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27