Using non-Holo Batman

Started by gameplan.exe, July 28, 2011, 01:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameplan.exe

In our circle, we've given 2 additional cards to all of the DC characters. It's not based on the DC3 art, or anything, just cards that we figured would help the tier list of DC Overpower get closer to the tier list in the comics (really, Penguin in Reserve is way better than he should be).

So, we gave Batman a Lv.9 E/S attack called, "The Batmobile" and we gave him a Draw 3 called, "Utility Belt" - needless to say, they help him be WAY more useful.

Recently, though, I was trying to build a deck with Batman in OP Online, and I don't have the version with the Home made cards, and I was lamenting the absence of the HR & HQ we gave him. Then I started to explore how he would be useful still, and I started to realize the potential of his dual-grid.

The conclusion to which I came, was that his second 7-stat really provides you with 2 extra Teamwork cards, which can essentially be seen as pseudo-Specials. His BA isn't great, but it's solid. His AD is still useful, even if it's limited. And, even if you don't use my House Rule to DTR any AJ-coded Specials, his is still very, very useful if he's teamed with a negator. That essentially gives him as many as 5 exclusive, useful cards.

This seems so simple, I really don't know why I didn't think of it this way before last night. So, given that I only use good guys, X-men, and Gotham people (they're just the only ones I care about having), this is the deck I created:

Professor X, Batman, Beast, Robin (R) - Krakoa (non-Marvels)

It's a little shallow, in terms of its strategy, but it still looks playable on paper.

Since I'm the only one I know that limits my collection so much, I'd like to hear more about how best to use Batman, when you're not limiting the roster.

Has anyone out there built a solid deck around, or at least including, Batman?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Kal-el

I can't help you with Batman, but I did want to say that you are FAR from the most limited deck-builder I know. In the sixteen years I've been playing with my one Overpower friend, I think he has only omitted Storm from maybe half a dozen games. He just really likes Storm.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Kal-el on July 28, 2011, 01:15:22 PM
I can't help you with Batman, but I did want to say that you are FAR from the most limited deck-builder I know. In the sixteen years I've been playing with my one Overpower friend, I think he has only omitted Storm from maybe half a dozen games. He just really likes Storm.

Wow, that is indeed more limited! I guess he picked a good one, though. She has an excellent card to have in Reserve (OE), and she's a 7E and only a 19, which means she's a pretty viable Reserve for lots of solid decks.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

Batman is certainly not a wasted character for the reason you described - his grid.

If you're into using Doubleshots, Batman is also an ideal doubleshot character, potentially giving him another card or two to use. Doubleshots are most effective when used with Any Hero teams.

I built a grid-based team around Batman and Nightwing which turned out a lot better than I'd expected. It was made just for fun, and I had a howl using it.

-BBH

steve2275

i use bats with black canary robin and comm gordon gcpd reserve

unfornetly luthors team kicks their ass

gameplan.exe

2 things -

first, BBH (where've you been, btw?!), why did you say Doubleshots are best with Any Heroes? I've been trying to work out what prompts that thinking... idk. for that matter, does anyone else hold this general opinion? or, at least, what are the thoughts some of you others have about it?

second, I was thinking recently that this can be taken to another level, and I thought of this for a potential line up (although I don't actually have the Reserve):

X-man, Batman, ScarletW, Dr.Strange [R], Any Hero

btw, the use of AnyHeroes was actually incidental here, as I didn't intend to necessarily use any Doubleshots, lol.

I figured a few things about this deck-
1) it opens some more exclusive-ish Teamworks for Bats, giving him more purpose (even tho Dr.S backs up one Int TW).
2) having batman outside his usual power grid is probably fine, since I'd mostly be using Specials for Def, which also frees up Power cards for follow-ups to TWs. plus, I can throw in Serpent Crown if I want.
3) this also keeps BOTH of Batman's attack Specials off-suit. so, his BA becomes much more lethal and, if the low-end Power pack is Fighting, then his AB has decent potential now, too.

now that i'm typing this out, I think I'm gonna go ahead and build this deck, but I might put DarkPhoenix in Reserve. she offers another off-suit TW, and also 2 decent Specials... she can't play them from Reserve, tho... maybe I'll switch to a Battlesite and finagle something with that and Events. ideas?
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

Here's the thing about doubleshots.

I don't view them as a waste because they are a two icon attack that has defensive capabilities. Yes, it's two cards to use, and on an extremely superficial level that's a bad thing. If you assume that both players will always have an equal number of cards and that card advantage is the single most important aspect of the game, then you'll never want to use them or any other card that will cost you that precious advantage. But if that's the case then your play style is likely limited and you'll have other problems when it comes to playing.

The reality is, there is never equality in this game. I could have 4 cards over you and you might still have me over a barrel. Conversely, I've pull games out of my ass when I'm down to my last card and the opponent can't do anything about it. It's all circumstantial.

On the doubleshot front, they are best used on Any hero teams, I've found, because any hero teams are light on inherent defense - save that double hit beauty for the right attack and you're taking an opponent's character out real easy. With DoW out, you'll also hedge your bets on it landing.

The downside of doubleshots, and this is a flaw in the card design unfortunately, is that to get the best use of them you need to construct your power pack around them. The best teams for doubleshot use have two (similar) prime suits of no less than 6 and a third suit of no less than four. That third suit represents the doubleshot's combination card.

So Batman with a grid of 2-7-4-7 is a perfect DS character and would use a double shot that acts as a fights, teammate with intellect combines with strength. (and the reverse - 6i combine with 6f /s)

From there you need to construct a power pack with all of your 3s and 4s to feed the double shot. This means sacrificing level 3 and 4 multi powers, which many players don't like to do. In that case I make all of my 2s MP, and 1s the most significant offsuit.

Your above team is no good for doubleshots. There's no consistent tertiary stat of at least 4. You could use a lower number to feed them, but that diminishes the doubleshots. If you plan to use them, use them to their fullest.

The Avenger's Mansion team makes absolute best use of Doubleshots. The inherent turns them into pure avoids, and the team allows for their best use. Hulk, Cap, and Widow all have a 6 intellect, leaving you to use either Thor, Vision or Pym. I go with Thor personally (with a minor power card sacrifice, he can only use one of the 6's and 2 5's), but Vision or Pym can also work because of their grids.

Power pack as follows:

8 - S/F/A
7 - S/F/A
6 - I/I/A
5 - MP/A/I
4 - I X3
3 - I X3
2 - MP X3
1 - S/F

And use two DS cards - the 6F - 6S/I 1-4 and the 6S - 6F/I 1-4

No need to overdo it. Like any card it's about balance. The DS cards are another option, not the be all and end all.

How you build the team beyond that is a matter of taste. I have my build that works well (usually).

Anyway. If you want to use DS cards, look at a character's grid and make sure they have two high stats and a third of 4. (Spider Man, Reavers, Capt. America, Daredevil, Vision, Apocalypse, Wasp, Gambit, Green Goblin, Hobgoblin, Brood... to name a few.)

They are also a good way to give a slight boost to max 6 characters.

My two cents on DS cards.

gameplan.exe

Thanks for the breakdown, BBH! I've a pretty good handle on Doubleshot-building. I'll use a couple in a deck here and there (Gambit/Bishop/Angel:F on DangerRoom, for example) - so I totally get the point on maximizing that tertiary stat. Mostly, I was curious about the Any Hero thing, and that makes total sense with DoW agression (or forcing an avoid w/P.Leech, then going for a KO shot). I suppose another help might be that Any Hero decks run fewer duplicates, which might help mitigate the whole "wasted card advantage" issue (about which, I agree with you. Ultimately, that shouldn't make or break a deck).
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27