Frozen in Time part 2 - Muir Island

Started by JohnL, July 29, 2011, 02:49:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnL

Here's another made up deck I found from 1999. As far as I remember this deck was NOT ready for prime time and looking at it I can't find a way to make it work but it's close.

The sole aim was to get Muir Island's awesome aspect card into play (For remainder of game Muir Island's team may draw 1 card from top of draw pile immediately after blocking and attack using an intellect power card, discard if duplicate.)

Wow. That's good. With Prof X, Shadowcat, Captain Britain and Banshee in reserve you can run a 7-6-6-(5) intellect team and so easily have 16 or so intellect power cards. Even if you only pull this once per hand that's a huge advantage.

And the CRITICAL point is that this is an aspect card so it can't be negated and is practically unstoppable.

The problem is getting it into play before you die or lose on venture. The Team isn't bad (Captain Britain, Shadowcat and Prof X got a decent bump in Marvels/Megapower) but it's a little weak. I gave it The Outback as a battlesite because of the huge defensive options and also the OB card for Longshot/Wolverine (level 5, if successful select an Aspect card and play it immediately). Using Fatal attractions as a Mission lets you stack your deck with Best Laid Plans - BUT this also often helps your opponent.

As far as I remember this deck still needs a better way of getting that aspect card in play early. The OB card is too much of a longshot (pun intended) and the event card helps your opponent and only gives it to you next hand.

Let me know if you get it working...

gameplan.exe

I recently ran Muir Island and I found a huge help from Pym Particles.

Now, when I was playing it, I also built it as a Highlander deck (zero duplication) - even in the Power Pack - so drawing 10 cards still gave me no discards (until some one was dead).

Having said that, if you're still limiting your duplicates in general, being careful about which cards get doubled (but probably never tripled), then this can still be a great method. Muir Island definitely wants to reach the Power Pack, though, so in general I found Pym Parts to be very friendly to this deck.

Also, New Universe is a huge help. I know Outback obviously has way more defensive security than Any Heroes, and it has the OB-code, but New Universe will let you essentially get a venture free 8-card scout to try to draw the Aspect (w/Pym Parts, even a 10-card scout).

There are my 2 cents - I think Pym Particles and Any Heroes w/New Universe will both help you get to GENETIC RESEARCH quickly, and in a more controlled fashion than an OB-code or BEST LAID PLANS...
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27