a team we've probably all considered...

Started by breadmaster, May 19, 2010, 03:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

breadmaster

the venture inherents team

blue beatle
invisible woman
longshot

homebase: marvel universe i think it is (the one that gives you +1 to venture each battle)

so that's 7 points for the venture each battle...is there any way to make this team work?

also, i've never played image...do they have a venture inherent character?

and who do you use for reserve?  spider-woman and her avoids?  psycho man to hang on to those invisible woman specials the deck will surely be loaded with?

has anyone used this, and what were the results like?

you have alot of redundancy in the power grids, which is good, but it's spread over all 4 power types.  you could load up on teamwork cards and low level power cards.

unfortunately, it seems like beetle and longshot are simply there for their inherents.  they don't bring much more to the table...if only longshots negate wasn't character specific >_<

Jack

You're missing Comm. Gordon from the Holo Series set of characters, but it doesn't help much. Image didn't have anyone.

Blue Beetle, in my opinion, has a good set of specials, but lacks good enough stats to be a viable character. His IB and HO specials play well with the venture-boost game, plus the IB is probably erroneously stated as "all placed Universe cards" which makes the IB extremely powerful (as a non-OPD).

breadmaster

i've always wondered, what was the purpose behind cards like blue beetle's 'acts as a level 6 intellect attack.  if sucessful opponent -4 to venture'

i'm assuming the card doesn't count as intellect for spectrum ko, so is it simply a defendable version of the 'opponent -3 to venture total', with a 1 point bonus?

Jack

Not quite.

The potential venture for not blocking the HO is 10, which is quite a lot for a non-OPD. The card also counts for spectrum KO. The strategy behind the HO card, and cards like HY (and maybe NT), is to play them near the end game.

Assuming, in the case for HO, your opponent does not have any defence against a 6, you can get some very serious venture with just one card. For HY, I typically play them near the end when I see 2-3 cards in the opponent's hand. If they lack any defence, two cards are lost, which is agonizing.

Or you could draw out a negate/avoid that the opponent has placed, in lieu of venture/discards, in the same scenario.

AF cards can really only be negated, but it's only a ±3 to venture for either party. It's better to have a 3+ power card in hand than the AF because (aside from the dupe factor) you can also use the card to defend, cumulative/spectrum KO, or add onto a teamwork.

breadmaster

wait, so you're saying the card acts as BOTH a 6 intellect attack and -4 to venture (if successful)?

i had no idea they worked that way...so if hawkeye's 2/8 card hits, it does 10 damage and is 2 different icons for spectrum KO?

Jack

Not quite..

For the EJ card, it has "acts as..." in it, which would mean that the card was previously a 2, and now it is considered a level 8 (or 10 for Shadowcat) power card.

The HO cards does not have that clause, which means that if the first clause is successful, then the second one is too.

As for the spectrum/venture of EJ cards, at least in our ring of play, we had decided that the cards only count for 2 venture, but counts as a level 8(or 10) <power> to determine cumulative/spectrum.

Onslaught

Spawn, Blue Beetle, Invisible Woman, Spider-Woman (3 stat) is one of the better non-negate decks in the game. Triple 9 or less to keep everyone alive, and theoretically you can trade hits/defense and win through your bonuses. If they are using a Team Overpower homebase, being +5 venture per turn is really hard to overcome.

BigBadHarve

"the venture inherents team

blue beatle
invisible woman
longshot

homebase: marvel universe i think it is (the one that gives you +1 to venture each battle)

so that's 7 points for the venture each battle...is there any way to make this team work?"

------------------------------

This is one of my favourite decks, has been since the X-men set came out. I'll tell you how I construct it:

Front line - Invisible Woman, Longshot, Blue Beetle
Reserve - Deathbird

Deathbird in reserve means you have use your 7 fighting power cards to protect Invisible Woman. With Deathbird's inherent, they essentially become avoid 1-7 cards for the team when you place them.

Specials:

Invisible woman: Protective Wall (x3), Team co-ordination, Invisible Ram. Force field. (Optional, but I like to have it)
Longshot: Purity of thought, hollow bones, one in a million.
Blue beetle: Frictionless foam, Bwa-haha (X2), airgun (x2), quick wits (optional)
Deathbird: Gladiator (optional, but I like having it)

Mission: Separation Anxiety.

Battlesite: Anything highly defensive. I like Danger Room, but Onslaught's Citadel is also great for the venture manipulation.

The idea here is that any card your opponent has that can't attack is a waste for him. Defensive cards mean little to you. Your goal is to fend off anything you can and take the venture. Often you can venture 3 in a round without worrying about it. Any little hit you land is going to really hurt the opponent. Woman's team co-ordination followed by Beetle's airgun and Longshots One in a Million is a lethal combo that's tough to block. You land any one of those and you're already up 10 venture!

The key is to keep your guys alive. The downfall of this deck is the loss of a front line character. But hey, no deck is perfect. Still play it right, and often you can take the game by venture in 3 hands, sometimes 4.

-BBH