Favourite Underestimated Decks.

Started by BigBadHarve, June 30, 2010, 09:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBadHarve

So, in an effort to keep some conversation going on around here...  ;D

What are some examples of your favourite decks that were always underestimated by opponents at first glance?

For my own part, back in the Marauders/X-babies days, I came up with a nasty little powerhouse team that opposed those decks quite nicely.

X-babies, Ghost Rider, Morbius with Spider Woman in reserve. I originally conceived it with Vision in reserve, and that's not bad, but I found having the teammate avoids to be far more effective (obviously).

It's a max 6 deck, and ironically while it wasn't very effective against other Max 6 decks, it worked wonders against normal decks.

Using either Danger Room, Outback or Onslaught's Citadel as my site. (Still haven't decided which one of these I like best...)

The idea behind this deck is that obviously they're tough birds and can take a few hits before you need to worry. Morbius' negates became more and more useful as more specials that had no numeric value became prevalent. Negating a vertigo was bad enough, but it was almost like adding insult to injury when you do it with Morbius' negate. Tee hee.  ;D

In addition, this team's specials pack a real punch. GR: Penance stare, Hell on wheels, Bat out of Hell (for discarding placed vertigos!). Morbius: Savage combat, Living Vampire etc. I don't need to go into what the X-babies have....

The obvious downside is that you need to hit the opponent fast and hard. This team doesn't do well in the long run. Not a perfect deck, but fun to play nonetheless.  :)

-BBH

rucker73

I used a Ravencroft deck against Bios once in online play, and he laughed at me before we started the game....  but after running over his team with Rhino and his Romp'n Stomp and Rhino hide he wasn't laughing anymore.  It was Rhino, Hobgoblin and Green Goblin up front with Doc Ock in reserve.  I fully admit it isn't the best team playing but they shouldn't be laughed at.  lol
"Wade! into action!"

CCTelander

Quote from: rucker73 on July 04, 2010, 02:58:02 PM
I used a Ravencroft deck against Bios once in online play, and he laughed at me before we started the game....  but after running over his team with Rhino and his Romp'n Stomp and Rhino hide he wasn't laughing anymore.  It was Rhino, Hobgoblin and Green Goblin up front with Doc Ock in reserve.  I fully admit it isn't the best team playing but they shouldn't be laughed at.  lol

More proof that underestimating ANY deck can be a serious mistake!

LONG LIVE OP!
OP LIVES!

Chris

If you're into Homemade OverPower Cards, be sure to check out this site for TONS of fun new cards and ideas!

http://justabgkid.com/emporium/homemadeemporiumhome.html

BigBadHarve

Quote from: CCTelander on July 04, 2010, 04:59:53 PM

More proof that underestimating ANY deck can be a serious mistake!

LONG LIVE OP!

You ain't whistlin' Dixie!

Well, um, maybe you ARE, I can't hear online, but it's true nonetheless. Back in the day I would make an Avenger's Mansion team and take it into tournaments. But I'm a nut that way. :P

-BBH

Bios

Quote from: rucker73 on July 04, 2010, 02:58:02 PM

I got what I deserved, cause I really underestimated that team. LOL
But we had a lot of fun that day!
Hey rucker73, you totally disappeared from MSN. Let's play again someday!

rucker73

Hey Bios I'll be around alot more often and I would love to get some games in.  Message me anytime.  Same goes for any of you who want to add me..  rucker_73 @ hotmail.com.

I think that I also won a game or two with an Avengers Mansion deck..  Cap, Thor, Vision with Hulk in reserve.
"Wade! into action!"

BigBadHarve

Quote from: rucker73 on July 06, 2010, 08:06:26 PM
Hey Bios I'll be around alot more often and I would love to get some games in.  Message me anytime.  Same goes for any of you who want to add me..  rucker_73 @ hotmail.com.

I think that I also won a game or two with an Avengers Mansion deck..  Cap, Thor, Vision with Hulk in reserve.

I tried downloading the OP online, but couldn't get it working. I'm on windows Vista, which is not the most friendly of OS systems, at least not when it comes to programs I want to run, it seems. :(

I love my Avengers, they are one of my favourite decks. I use Hulk, Cap and Thor in the front with Black Widow in reserve. The 'Marvels' cards for Hulk, Thor and Cap really up the offensive power of this team. (And yes, I make full use of the Doubleshot inherent ability of the Homebase!)  ;D

-BBH

Jack

If you're stuck on the loading screen, try installing the System32 Package. If that doesn't work, try running OpDeck and OpOnline in Windows XP compatibility mode.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Jack on July 07, 2010, 01:03:44 PM
If you're stuck on the loading screen, try installing the System32 Package. If that doesn't work, try running OpDeck and OpOnline in Windows XP compatibility mode.

I've been trying that, nothing seems to work.  :(

-BBH

Post Merge: July 11, 2011, 10:03:59 PM

Quote from: BigBadHarve on July 07, 2010, 01:39:37 PM
Quote from: Jack on July 07, 2010, 01:03:44 PM

I've been trying that, nothing seems to work.  :(

-BBH

Ah ha! I think I have it. It seems to work fine when I 'run as administrator.'  Making some decks.

-BBH

Jack

Strange, I'll do some testing when I have some spare time. Hopefully in the near future, we won't need OpOnline to play against each other.

drdeath25

Wow! I never got OPonline to work on my vista computer until just now, thanks BBH! I had been running it on my old laptop that uses XP, but now i will be able to run it on my vista desktop. "Run as Administrator" did the trick!

BigBadHarve

Quote from: drdeath25 on July 07, 2010, 07:06:48 PM
Wow! I never got OPonline to work on my vista computer until just now, thanks BBH! I had been running it on my old laptop that uses XP, but now i will be able to run it on my vista desktop. "Run as Administrator" did the trick!

Yeah, I finally got it working too! Sweet. Tried several times without success to connect with Rucker, then I finally solved the problem and was able to get my ass handed to me by Bios. But problem fixed.

It's great to play OP against some new blood. I've been playing against the same player for 10 years! Time to mix it up!

-BBH

drdeath25

I would be willing to play you BBH, we can setup a day and time or something and play on OPonline. I also would like some new competition, since i normally play against all the same people nowadays. Let me know.

Karmanal of Zert

Are you guys talking about Bios' site or something else? I'm signed up for that, just have to build some decks. It didn't seem like a separate program though which is why I'm a tad confuzzled.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: drdeath25 on July 08, 2010, 09:00:41 PM
I would be willing to play you BBH, we can setup a day and time or something and play on OPonline. I also would like some new competition, since i normally play against all the same people nowadays. Let me know.

Excellent! I finally got a few matches in with Rucker, despite some program crashes. Feel free to add me to your MSN - theelf100@hotmail.com

Make sure you add who you are in the note area when you do.

Quote from: Karmanal of Zert on July 09, 2010, 03:02:29 AM
Are you guys talking about Bios' site or something else? I'm signed up for that, just have to build some decks. It didn't seem like a separate program though which is why I'm a tad confuzzled.

We're talking about the OP Online program you can download. Jack has it available on his site - www.overpower.ca

-BBH