Good Battlesite Options

Started by BigBadHarve, July 11, 2010, 11:15:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBadHarve

Hello all,

Just trolling for some points of view here.

Now that I finally got OP Online working, I've been able experiment with a few battlesites that I never bothered with before.

What are some of your favourite non-typical sites. (Yes, I know Danger Room, Outback and Onslaught's Citadel totally rock and roll, but let's hear about some others.)

-BBH

rucker73

I have enjoyed using Cape Citadel, The Big Apple and Mojoworld
"Wade! into action!"

Bios

Morlock Tunnels is really good, with lots of defenses including Vertigo and Storm's Gathering Winds can give you a good card advantage.

And if you can live without a negates in the BS, try using Four Freedoms Plaza.

drdeath25

Krakoa!

Post Merge: July 10, 2011, 09:18:06 PM

It's KRAKOA that is the most underrated site

Anyway, Krakoa is an AMAZING battlesite that nobody ever uses. Thunderbird is AMAZING from a battlsite, he has a great avoid (w/ a card draw!), and a great attack (with a card draw!). Collosus with the best OPD available (his megapower card, opponent discard 3). If you are using a deck that has a negate character (or two), since its main weakness is lack of negate. Its a very underrated site that has a nice mix of offense and defense. Let me know if you want an exact list of the Krakoa site I play, and I will provide it. Polaris has some surprise kick-ass cards from a battlesite too!

(Props to Onslaught for kicking my ass with Krakoa, and making me realize it was so good a few years ago)

Post Merge: July 10, 2011, 06:18:01 PM

This is just one version. Of course, you can switch up a few of the attacks to match up with which particular deck you are playing.

I used this particular version on a very defense Intellect/Strength deck that uses the Infinity Gauntlet mission for the No Any Hero Event, and the No Fighting Power Cards Event. With a beyonder activator thrown in, there are 10 activators in your deck, so it might be possible to cut a few cards out, if you like to play smaller battlesites. Anyway, Gotta love Thunderbird.....

Krakoa Battlesite for E/I/S Deck with Infinity Gauntlet Mission (Anti-Fighting Deck)

Thunderbird - Acts as a level 3 Fighting attack. If attack is defended, Thunderbird may draw 1 card from top of Draw Pile. Discard duplicates. (NK)

Avoid 1 attack with a Fighting icon. Thunderbird may draw 1 card from the top of the Draw Pile. Discard duplicates. (LO)

Polaris

Avoids all attacks from 1 Teamwork card, or Target Character must discard 1 Placed Teamwork card. (DB)

Acts as a level 5 Fighting attack. Attack may not be defended with a Special card. (JW)

Collosus

Acts as a level 7 Fighting attack (AR)

Colossus and target hero may not attack for remainder of battle. (AX)

Opponent must discard 3 cards from Hand.  Cards chosen by Opponent. (OC) OPD

Wolverine

Avoid 1 attack (AG)

Attack made on teammate is now made on Wolverine, who may defend it (AC) OR you can play his 4f +1 additional attack

BigBadHarve

Quote from: drdeath25 on July 11, 2010, 07:10:40 PM
It's KRAKOA that is the most underrated site

Anyway, Krakoa is an AMAZING battlesite that nobody ever uses. Thunderbird is AMAZING from a battlsite, he has a great avoid (w/ a card draw!), and a great attack (with a card draw!). Collosus with the best OPD available (his megapower card, opponent discard 3). If you are using a deck that has a negate character (or two), since its main weakness is lack of negate. Its a very underrated site that has a nice mix of offense and defense. Let me know if you want an exact list of the Krakoa site I play, and I will provide it. Polaris has some surprise kick-ass cards from a battlesite too!

(Props to Onslaught for kicking my ass with Krakoa, and making me realize it was so good a few years ago)

YES!!! I agree! I recently created Krakoa as a test site for one of my teams, and have to admit it's a hidden gem of a site. No negate, unfortunately, but there are good options there. I'm really grooving on that Colossus card for a site - I've also been experimenting with Wundagore mountain as a site, also not bad. You get Colussus' card as well as some other fun stuff.

-BBH

bamf!

I have used Krakoa many times, and with a very similar setup but with a few changes

Colossus: AX ->ET (remove 2 hits with 2 or more icon) <mainly there as a momentum changer, messing up the opponent's strategy to give myself some breathing space
Thunderbird: JZ (miscoded as JW on the card) for another Thunderbird activator,
Polaris: JZ(JW) -> KB (2E if successful 8F in perm. not counted for venture) <used to bait out negates in must block situations to setup Colossus' OC (discard 3)
and Angel's HO (6E if successful opp. -4 venture)

Cape Citadel is another good one I use, with many specials that have restricted defense requirements, constantly putting your opponent in must block situations vs. losing a character, and with AG, AD and LO to balance things out.

In general, I look for flaws in my decks and build a battlesite to specifically cover up if not completely fix the flaws. Usually it could be a single OPD, and look for a location with that special and build around that.

I also use Concrete Jungle, Madripoor, Ship, Asteroid M, and New York City as battlesites.

drdeath25

Yes! Wundagore Mountain is a fun one to use also. Quick question for anyone who knows.... (I have the Officla 300 Page Overpower Tournament Guide, but dont feel like looking it up)

QuickSilver - No Energy Power cards may be played against Quicksilver for remainder of battle. (CN)

and

Dr. Doom - No Energy cards may be played against Doctor Doom for remainder of battle (AH)

These cards i am sure can be played defensively to avoid an energy attack which makes them extremely useful, but they are both coded different. I assume because one is for power cards, and one is for any card. These both can be used on the same battlesite correct?

If so, Wundagore mountain is extremely underrated, since it has collosus, with scarlet witch and nightcrawler who have some very useful cards. Could make for a good anti-energy deck.

Anyone know is this is a coding error? If nobody knows, ill look it up in the my tournament guide later....

On a side note looking more at using collosus' opd on a battlesite, Muir Island is another solid choice with him and nightcrawler. Using Banshee "Luck O' THe Irish" you could search your deck for any special card. This makes me think it would work good to search for a card like Reavers' Deathstrike to Remove your opponents DoW from the game. This would almost certaintly make the opponent concede if they did not have a negate.

(In the 1999 Northern California Regional i actually pulled this off in my top-8 single elimination match using a hells kitchen battlesite, using ghost rider's deck searching card to get deathstrike. When i used the deathstrike, it was the 2nd battle of the game, and i had my opponent certinatly defeated as long as he didnt draw his DoW on turn 3. So i decided to remove another key OPD from his deck instead of DoW. So the kid had 40 cards in his deck in round 3, and i was going to bet for the win, and win almost certaintly as long as he didnt draw his DoW out of those 40 cards. Of course, he did draw DoW, turned the tides of the game and eventually beat me. The guy also won that regional...... sigh. I had him beat. My biggest mistake in my overpower career..... i will never make again, yet i always regret it) :-(

BigBadHarve

Quote from: drdeath25 on July 12, 2010, 12:37:40 AM
Yes! Wundagore Mountain is a fun one to use also. Quick question for anyone who knows.... (I have the Officla 300 Page Overpower Tournament Guide, but dont feel like looking it up)

QuickSilver - No Energy Power cards may be played against Quicksilver for remainder of battle. (CN)

and

Dr. Doom - No Energy cards may be played against Doctor Doom for remainder of battle (AH)

These cards i am sure can be played defensively to avoid an energy attack which makes them extremely useful, but they are both coded different. I assume because one is for power cards, and one is for any card. These both can be used on the same battlesite correct?

If so, Wundagore mountain is extremely underrated, since it has collosus, with scarlet witch and nightcrawler who have some very useful cards. Could make for a good anti-energy deck.

Anyone know is this is a coding error? If nobody knows, ill look it up in the my tournament guide later....

I believe Doom's card was meant to read Energy 'attacks,' as opposed to 'power cards.' That's how I've been playing it. And yes, they can be played defensively. Do look that up though, because that will come up.

Is your copy of the tournament guide an actual hardcopy, or is it digital? If you have it on file in your computer, I wouldn't mind getting a copy. I have a copy of the official meta-rules, but they only go so far, and for the most part are an absolute joke. (Some even contradict themselves!)

-BBH

Nostalgic

I've enjoyed using Wundagore Mountain myself.  'Ship' was also cool with the right team to give that xmen feel.
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

drdeath25

My copy of the tournament guide is the hard copy that lists all the special codes (JW, AG, Ect.), with a parapgraph about how each card can be used in different situations. there is also a list of all the meta rules, but it would be way to much to type up everything. its a large book. I believe you used to be able to download the .PDF from the official overpower site, back when the game was still alive. But I don't even think that site is up anymore.

Jack

Onslaught

Wundagore Mountain is incredibly underrated, and I think Concrete Jungle is also criminally underused. Most of my decks right now end up with Concrete Jungle, 3e JW is just so devastating.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Onslaught on July 12, 2010, 10:07:36 PM
Wundagore Mountain is incredibly underrated, and I think Concrete Jungle is also criminally underused. Most of my decks right now end up with Concrete Jungle, 3e JW is just so devastating.

Yeah, I'm liking Wundagore. I'll try out the Jungle with one of my many decks. I think I've built up 30+ decks, just messing around with the OP online program.

I really do need a life! :P

-BBH

Nostalgic

BBH, do you mean decks built on this site? 

http://phillipgs.virtuaserver.com.br/overpower/   

I haven't been able to get on that site for a few weeks now for some reason...  ???

ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Nostalgic on July 15, 2010, 04:55:21 PM
BBH, do you mean decks built on this site? 

http://phillipgs.virtuaserver.com.br/overpower/   

I haven't been able to get on that site for a few weeks now for some reason...  ???

No, I'm referring to the OP Online program. You can download it at Jack's website - www.overpower.ca

It's got a decent deckbuilder with most of the cards.

-BBH