Nightwing Team

Started by En Sabah Nur, January 23, 2012, 10:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

En Sabah Nur

Hi All, new here at the forums, great to be here :)

So my friend challanged me to play with Nightwing, since he is widely known to be one of the worst characters in overpower.  I honestly cannot think of who else to use on the team.  I was thinking a seriously heavy defense team with someone like hawkeye in reserve, like Silver Surfer, Jubilee, Nightwing and Hawkeye?  Any thoughts, and btw we typically dont play with battlesites.

Thx

Jack

Too bad he wasn't a 16 stat character, it would've been easier to make the argument to put him in front line as fodder for the KO-hero event and put stronger characters around him.

BigBadHarve

I had a silly fun Batman/Nightwing team going that was a lot better than you'd think.

Front line is Batman, Nightwing, and Brainiac, with Kingpin in reserve. (Yes, there are plenty of other options, but I stand by my choice!)  =)

For Nightwing, I use his escrima sticks and circus acrobat, and that's all.

It's heavy on the TWs, and I also incorporate the much maligned Doubleshots. So while you're light on specials, you make up for it with the non-special attacks.

I used any heroes and the Shattered image mission.

The key to making the doubleshots really work is to make all of your 4s and 3s strength power cards, then use the DS cards that require fighting and intellect with a strength contribution.

When a character's specials aren't stellar, I try to look at how I can utilize their grid. Nightwing is a good Doubleshot character because he has two 6s and a third stat that's a 4. Not many people like DS cards, but I love 'em.

And thus my contribution to the Nightwing conundrum. ;)

-BBH

gameplan.exe

BBH - that's how I've always made use of Nightwing as well. Double-Shot's are vastly underrated, I think. I figure if an AE-Special is useful, even if it's an offsuit (see Gambit's Staff Attack), then a Double Shot should be even more useful, since it can be defensive.

Since you're using Any Heroes, I'd also consider using the reshuffle Event, so you can get more than one use out of the Double Shot cards...
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

En Sabah Nur

Ncannelora & BBH,

Thanks for the tips, and i'll confirm your suspiscions about DS cards.  I've never really played with them!  Maybe once or twice, I have a ton, i've just never used them, but a deck full of them for nightwing actually sounds like a great idea.  I like the idea of having braniac and bataman, but i think im going to put Hawkeye in reserve with his one per deck and his IA, that could be seriously lethal, also ive never played with kingpins and i dont have any of his OPD's ( a situation i think i should correct sometime this week :)

Thanks all! Hope I win

BigBadHarve

Quote from: En Sabah Nur on January 24, 2012, 09:30:43 AM
Ncannelora & BBH,

Thanks for the tips, and i'll confirm your suspiscions about DS cards.  I've never really played with them!  Maybe once or twice, I have a ton, i've just never used them, but a deck full of them for nightwing actually sounds like a great idea.  I like the idea of having braniac and bataman, but i think im going to put Hawkeye in reserve with his one per deck and his IA, that could be seriously lethal, also ive never played with kingpins and i dont have any of his OPD's ( a situation i think i should correct sometime this week :)

Thanks all! Hope I win

Oh, we're fully aware of how loathed Doubleshot cards are. I've always found them useful, but not everyone agrees. The trick with them is that to get the best use out of them you really need to craft your power pack around their presence. Your 4s and 3s should all be the required type to feed the doubleshot, which means you can't use Multi 4s, which is usually the preferred route for most players.

Defensively, I think the makers dropped the ball - since the DS can only be used to defend the character playing the DS (not even the teammate contributing). Making them usable to defend the entire team would have gone a long way to seeing them used more often, in the very least, they should be able to defend the two characters contributing to the DS card. Still, even as is, I have used DS cards to save my bacon more than once.

Also, don't overload your deck with DS cards, two is your maximum. Make sure both are backed up by the grids of your team and both are fed with the same type of power card.

Using Hawkeye is a worthy choice. I had considered it, but ultimately wanted a team of the lesser used characters. Hawkeye just appears in too many teams. Usingg Kingpin adds to the WTF?? reaction from more experienced players... which is half the fun. ;)

Not that my little team is a dominating Juggernaut (I've lost with it more than I've won) It's just fun sometimes to use a silly team with the B-listers.

Have fun! Let us know how it all turns out.

-BBH

Nostalgic

Quote from: BigBadHarve on January 24, 2012, 10:54:16 AM

Using Hawkeye is a worthy choice. I had considered it, but ultimately wanted a team of the lesser used characters. Hawkeye just appears in too many teams. Usingg Kingpin adds to the WTF?? reaction from more experienced players... which is half the fun. ;)

Not that my little team is a dominating Juggernaut (I've lost with it more than I've won) It's just fun sometimes to use a silly team with the B-listers.

Have fun! Let us know how it all turns out.

-BBH

Yea  I thought WTF and promptly lost to the 'B Team.'  ;D
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

gameplan.exe

... Defensively, I think the makers dropped the ball - since the DS can only be used to defend the character playing the DS (not even the teammate contributing). Making them usable to defend the entire team would have gone a long way to seeing them used more often, in the very least, they should be able to defend the two characters contributing to the DS card. Still, even as is, I have used DS cards to save my bacon more than once. ...

-BBH

Are you sure about the DS only covering the Tactic user? I could've sworn I read that it will protect both the Tactic and the Power card user... That's how we've always played it in our group...
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Jesse

My first reaction was definitely WTF to Kingpin.....the best WTF reaction that I can recall was a team I built with Hawkeye - I put him on the frontline  ;D My opponent kept wondering what the heck my reserve did that warranted Hawkeye upfront instead of in back.....and to be perfectly honest, my reserve did nothing - it was an accident on my part  ::) I wasn't paying attention for whatever reason and I had set them up wrong to start the game.....so I just went with it  8)
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

BigBadHarve

Quote from: ncannelora on February 01, 2012, 01:15:06 PM

Are you sure about the DS only covering the Tactic user? I could've sworn I read that it will protect both the Tactic and the Power card user... That's how we've always played it in our group...

Yeah, 100%. I always found that retarded because that slight adjustment to the rules would make a huge difference in the playability of Doubleshots.

Hence my house rule! :D

Quote from: Jesse on March 14, 2012, 12:50:12 PM
My first reaction was definitely WTF to Kingpin.....the best WTF reaction that I can recall was a team I built with Hawkeye - I put him on the frontline  ;D My opponent kept wondering what the heck my reserve did that warranted Hawkeye upfront instead of in back.....and to be perfectly honest, my reserve did nothing - it was an accident on my part  ::) I wasn't paying attention for whatever reason and I had set them up wrong to start the game.....so I just went with it  8)

Hawkeye's a good front line character, too, to be sure. Mistake or not, kudos to you for bucking the trend! :D

Do you have OPO going yet?

-BBH

Jesse

Quote from: BigBadHarve on March 14, 2012, 01:24:37 PM
Do you have OPO going yet?

-BBH

Nope. The Pc and Laptops that I have are work provided  ;D and they block game content - so far every other day I can get on Jack's site. Their attempt is to block content like this while at work, but becuase of their downloads it has streamed into after hours as well so no OPO as of yet.
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

gameplan.exe

Quote from: BigBadHarve on March 14, 2012, 01:24:37 PM
Quote from: ncannelora on February 01, 2012, 01:15:06 PM

Yeah, 100%. I always found that retarded because that slight adjustment to the rules would make a huge difference in the playability of Doubleshots.

Hence my house rule! :D

-BBH

yeah, I just re-read the rules in the Defensive Actions section. this is totally lame! Still, I'm sure I'll continue using 1 or 2 in my decks. Like I've said before, if an AE is useful because it presents good Spectrum KO possibility, then a DS is at least as useful, since it's (half) Defensive  :P
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

steve2275

Quote from: Jesse on March 14, 2012, 12:50:12 PM

because he has many good cards