Must Have for Any Deck

Started by Jesse, February 03, 2012, 08:22:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

Hey guys I just started putting together 3 decks - 1 for me and a couple for some friends that want to try the game and I was just curious - I know I have a couple cards that I absolutely love and must put in every deck and I know others have to feel the same way. So if you don't mind sharing - what are your "must haves" when you build a deck?

My Must Haves:
AC Alien Symbiote
AC Bastion
Shadowcat (If I use my proxy Beyonder so he and she can avoid forever  ;D)
X-Babies - always try to make myself not use them because I like them so much - why? B/c they're good and c'mon they're babies, lol!  ;)
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

gameplan.exe

if you're using Any Heroes, there are three more that are absolute must-haves:

New Universe - a very powerful card if timed right, plus it can be placed.
Power Leech - another very powerful card if targeted correctly (that's a meta-rule, it must target a person, then it affects the whole team)
Devourer of Worlds - This is a tide-turner for sure (assuming you're playing against a Battlesite)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Jesse

Quote from: Jesse on February 03, 2012, 08:22:23 AM
Hey guys I just started putting together 3 decks - 1 for me and a couple for some friends that want to try the game and I was just curious - I know I have a couple cards that I absolutely love and must put in every deck and I know others have to feel the same way. So if you don't mind sharing - what are your "must haves" when you build a deck?

My Must Haves:
AC Alien Symbiote
AC Bastion
Shadowcat (If I use my proxy Beyonder so he and she can avoid forever  ;D)
X-Babies - always try to make myself not use them because I like them so much - why? B/c they're good and c'mon they're babies, lol!  ;)

Completely forgot Power Leech, I do use it. I haven't really thought about the others though (since I don't have them) - but now I may look into some proxys for sure.
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

Bios

Its a little weird to talk about must have cards for "any" deck and elect 3 character cards to that list.   ;D

Anyway, that would be my must have list:

a) For Any Hero/Character decks:
- Team OverPower homebase (unless you want to use a fixed roster homebase)
- Death from above; Guardian Angel, Gamma Base, Web Headed Wizard, Confusion, Power Leech, Bastion and Devourer of Worlds Any Character Specials
      - If you are playing against another Any Hero/Character deck, DoW should be left out
      - I don't usually choose New Universe, but I certainly agree that some people (like Breadmaster) use it very wisely!
      - JLA Any Character Special is not a consensus, but I do like it, specially if you are using X-Babies
      - Most people don't use Alien Symbiote anymore. It only affects hits from Permanent Record, so most times you spend AS to remove a card from a previous battle and let your team open for a new hit. Always remember, OP is pretty much about keeping card advantage!
- A-Next Any Homebase Aspect card
- 5 Multi-Power Power card (makes sense in most decks)
- Shattered Universe Mission with Anti-Activator event (if you don't have any other specific strategy in mind)

b) For Battlesite decks:
- Marvel Universe homebase (unless you want to use a fixed roster homebase)
- A good battlesite, of course! My favorite ones are The Outback and Morlock Tunnels
      - Beyonder as an Any Activator, unless you are using him as a character in your team
- A-Next Any Homebase Aspect card
- 5 Multi-Power Power card (makes sense in most decks)
- Infinity Gauntlet Mission with Anti-Any Hero event (if you don't have any other specific strategy in mind)

breadmaster

'mostly must haves'

the other main one is teamwork cards.  generally you want to have one of each tw you can use (and back up your stats, so if someone gets ko'd, you don't lost that particular tw)

of course, one of the easiest components to overlook are events.  bios listed some great default choices for starting out.

the fantastic thing about events, are that they can be tailored to some of the more offbeat strategies

Nate Grey

Kudos to Bios for that great breakdown. My group personally does like Alien Symbiote so its just a matter of what's at stake. Mostly we play for fun and kicks, but for something more of a competitive nature (like playing in online OP Cups against these guys) then I would have to question adding it to a deck.

VG23

Question:  I have not played in 20 years.  So pardon my ignorance.

Any Hero/ any character - you can only have one of each, even ifthere from different sets, I.e: original and Mission Control?

Second, if that's true, could you theoretically have all the Any character cards in your deck.  Taking into account any with "one per deck" rule.

justa

Alien Symbiote is NOT OPD, so you may have as many as you want.  you can use as many of the Any Character specials as you want in a deck, just only 1 of each OPD. (only 1 Power Leech, only 1 DoW, only 1 Confusion, etc.)

VG23

Sweet!  Thank you.

Now can someone explain Battlesite versus Homebase vs using Beyonder as an "Activator"?   Yes, 20 years is a long time.  I stopped playing right before these came out.

Zer0evil

Quote from: VG23 on June 19, 2017, 10:39:33 PM
Sweet!  Thank you.

Now can someone explain Battlesite versus Homebase vs using Beyonder as an "Activator"?   Yes, 20 years is a long time.  I stopped playing right before these came out.

I also had a 20 year break from Overpower  ;D

Same situation, played vanilla OP before the game fizzled from school and my local game shop so now I am playing catch-up.
"Excelsior!" - that one old dude who shows up in all the Marvel movies.