Double Date!

Started by gameplan.exe, February 06, 2012, 01:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameplan.exe

Stop me - er, you - if you've heard this one...

I was looking to build a team recently, and I was thinking of traditional RPGs. I was trying to think of how to build a team that serves several different roles and the one that seemed most intriguing to me was the "tank" role. For those unfamiliar, that's the character with super-high Health Points (HP), generally really good defense, and they're basically there to run up front and absorb/deflect the majority of the enemy attacks. As I was thinking of this, another thing came to mind...

So, I really, really, loved that X-Men Legends games! In the first game, it was really important to have at least one flyer, a strong person to lift/move objects, some one who could build bridges, and a good mix of melee and range fighters. The perfect solution to me was Gambit, Rogue, Cyclops, and Jean Grey. When XML2 came out, they actually had several "hidden" bonuses for certain combinations of characters and it just so happened that one of the best bonuses belonged to - you guessed it - the team they dubbed "Double Date!" (it gave 20 HP back per kill; very handy).

So then I thought, "I wonder if I can work this out using the Double Date line up..." and so I did!

Roster:
Gambit - 8a, 8a, 2/8, 2/8, BJ
Cyclops - 9e*, 7f, 6e, AU, AG
Rogue - 9f, BD, FL, AC, AG, AG
Jean Grey - 9s, BH, EB

Battlesite: Krakoa:
Angel - 6e, FQ*
Colossus - AX, AC
Polaris - 4e, DB
Sunfire - 4s*, AM
Tbird - 3f, LO
Wolvie - AG, EQ
Beyonder

Teamwork Cards 7E+fs, 6E+fs, 6F+es, 6F+es
Power Cards 7ESA 6ESA, 5MA, 4EE, 3MM, 2SS, 1SS
Tactic Cards Image Inducer, Image Inducer
Aspect Card A-Next
MISSION/EVENT Cards Infinity Gauntlet:
GODS OF STONE! - no any hero
HEROES RESURRECTED! - no hits added to perm. rec.
MAD GOD RAISES THE DEAD! - resurrect 1 ko'd
SILVER TONGUED DEVIL - no F Power cards
SOVEREIGN SEVEN - remove 1 hit from every character with I.A.
* these are cards from The MARVELS set

So, you may notice that Rogue doesn't have a lot of attacks there, despite the fact that she has several decent attack Specials, and two available, off-suit Teamwork cards. Her purpose is really focused to taking attacks on herself. Gambit and Cyclops provide plenty of fire power.

I have plenty of ways to move attacks to Rogue, using her own ACs, and the one from under the Battlesite - but then also with the 2 Image Inducers. The combination of her own Inherent Ability, and getting Angel's FQ on her from the Battlesite makes her a pretty tough kill. Then, if you can get her FL into play early with those, then she can absorb damage AND venture points!

I've played several games with it and, while it's a little hit-and-miss, it's proving to be one of my new favorite decks, to be sure. As a max-7 with no negate, it's certainly vulnerable to a few strategies. But hey, you can't plan for every circumstance, right? The most fun decks aren't always the strongest, but sometimes it's for nostalgia or a unique strategy and this one has both in spades.  8)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27