Card Advantage Battlesite

Started by gameplan.exe, February 29, 2012, 07:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameplan.exe

I'm putting together a team around the concept of card advantage and I'm trying to decide between AnyHeroes or a Battlesite, in order to push Card Advantage further. It seems to me that there is no Battlesite that matches AnyHeroes for their potential in this area, though. In addition to the fact that you can't get duplicates with AnyHeroes (except he AL, but who would?  ???), it just seems like the net off of AnyHeroes is more than you can pull from any 1 Battlesite.

Power Leach = 3
(spend 1, they discard 4)
Web Headed Wizard = 1-3
(spend 1, and you can get back an LO(+1), HQ(+2), JA(+2), BY(+3), etc
Devourer Of Worlds ~ 2
(spend 1, return will be -1 or +3, depending on whether or not the opponent has a Battlesite)

I mean, off those 3 cards, you're looking at +7 or so. I don't even use DoW, but I can still get +5 off just the 2 (BY and BQ).

For Battlesites, I can only find +5 at best, but there's more chance involved...

Krakoa
Colossus OC +2 (spend 1, discard 3)
Thundrbd LO +1 (avoid Fighting, draw 1)
Thundrbd NK +1 (attack unsuccessful, draw 1)
Wolverine OB +1 (attack successful, draw 1 Aspect)

X-World
GoblynQ NS +? (spend 1, Opp can't use "Remainder of..." Specials)
Havok FI +2 (attack succesful, draw 2)
Storm OE +2 (spend 1, draw first 3 Power cards with E icon from Power Pack)

Does anyone know of another Battlesite that presents good Card Advantage opportunity? Anything that will net more than 5 cards?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Onslaught

Any of the sites you listed are actually far more card advantage than Any Heroes could ever dream of, due to:

1) You draw your best cards faster

DOW under ideal conditions is + a ton of cards, but you have to hope to draw it. Meanwhile, you can play x3 Kingpin activators or whatever and quickly gain access to an HQ.

2) Avoidable effects are significantly worse than things that can only be negated

Leech almost never since it can be avoided, teammate avoided, stopped by a CD, etc. Meanwhile, something like Colossus' discard 3 can only be negated. It's much more valuable.

3) Actions matter

Defensive cards that draw cards are much more powerful than things that take up action. Krakoa is top tier thanks to the LO, which is a huge swing in momentum. Similarly, WHW spending an action to retrieve an HQ (then using that HQ next turn) is slow and telegraphed.

4) Virtual card advantage via defense

Any hero decks have a much harder time protecting their characters/cards. Characters dying is of course the biggest form of card advantage for your opponent, so keeping them alive with superior battlesite defense is a form of card advantage. Similarly, battlesites will also protect you from disruption - i.e. stopping an AI or GA targeting a character with an HQ or some other form of card advantage.

Of course, all of these things can be mitigated by building your decks a certain way. There will always be pros and cons to both Battlesites and Any Heroes, and different lineups will yield much bigger results with one or the other. But in terms of pure card advantage, Battlesites come out ahead. This is why you generally only see Any Heroes in very sturdy/consistent decks. You either need big character redundancy (low special count, lots of backed up stats - i.e. Neron/Robin/Donald Pierce/Fantastic) or a massive defensive net (Spawn/X-Man/Scarlet Witch/Spider-Woman for example) to maximize the strengths of Any Heroes. So, on paper if you add up all the ideal maximum effect of Any Heroes it might seem like the best option for pure card advtange, but in practice it is something like Krakoa or Hell's Kitchen.

gameplan.exe

Maybe this will be as simple as testing it out, then. I've used the deck I'm describing quite a bit, with only Any Heroes, and it's been pretty consistently good. It's biggest problem is that it's a max-7, but it has a few things that help it get over that and they always seem to be pretty timely. The deck is listed here:
http://www.beenhereandthere.com/SMF/index.php?topic=429.msg5809#msg5809
I wasn't using HIDEOUT DISCOVERED, but as I'm typing this, I'm realizing how obviously useful it'd be too (do'h!).

I guess it's hard for me to let go of the Any Heroes on this deck, because I've gone for the win and got it easily on 3 different occasions because I had the OE and WHW in the same hand, late in the game, when my opponent had no Negates left (which was SA-WEET!!! by the way!)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27