does anyone make decks with specific special codes in mind

Started by steve2275, April 17, 2012, 03:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

Gambit's in my other one, at least was. Gambit, Green Lantern, Cyclops and Velocity. Very very heavy hitters with the reserve dealing some discards.

The H1N1 deck uses (surprise!) Outback for the battlesite because it lacks defense in every possible way. I was thinking of experimenting with Danger Room to get the extra HN and EJ from Gambit.

Jesse

Quote from: Jack on April 17, 2012, 11:07:13 PM
I call it my H1N1 deck because it's supposedly deadly.

I literally just LOL'D - pretty loud too! I haven't heard the term H1N1 in a while, but that was hilarious...
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

steve2275

im having so much fun making these variations of AQ HR AQ+HR
ft   12 f
mc 11 multi    there's 1 legal team
nb 11 f

of course there's hf basic 2 icon special
ma anti battlesite special

spectrum ko yes?
and throw in kingpin
nj specials already in play(placed cards  anti av ax[o well] still affects cw)
lr  combine with an i p c
nu 4 characters have those

BW+CE+CU+CZ++HB+OA=discard into dead pile
http://overpower.ca/tools/battlesites.php
jw jz cant be defended with a Special card.
jh kb lower defense then attack high and send lower damage to permanent record (bullseye can do both)
ej kb low attack high damage  high attack to lower damage and to permanent record
nx -2 to attack if not successful

gameplan.exe

unfortunately, the cards that state "are not affected by Special cards already in play" are not effective against hold-type cards, like AV and AX. The metas state that the attack itself must first be legal, then the text of the Special are effective. So, since the AV prevents the attack first, the attack's special condition isn't effective. This bugs me most when I use Danger Room  :-\
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

gameplan.exe

I thought of another deck I've built with a specific code in mind that was a lot of fun and a new strategy around the MARVELS set.

[Alpha Flight] [Domino3] [Shadowcat:AoA]
                    [Sabretooth]

The frontline characters all got the Special coded OJ in the Marvels.

Alpha - MADISON JEFFRIES "Acts as a level 10 Any-Power attack. May be used against Battlesite. If used against Battlesite, damage counts toward Venture total." OPD

Domino - DEMOLITIONS "Acts as a level 6 Intellect. May be used against Battlesite. If used against Battlesite, damage counts toward Venture total."

Shadowcat - Phased Disruption "Acts as a level 6 Fighting attack. May be used against Battlesite. If used against Battlesite, damage counts toward Venture total."

It was a fun, fresh strategy to specifically target the Opponent's Battlesite. It's something most people won't expect, even if they're familiar with The MARVELS set. I used Any Heroes with it for 2 reasons - 1, was for the Reshuffle Event that I used on the deck (I mean, if I can KO the Battlesite AND get them to reshuffle those Activators...!) - and 2, getting these hits to stick becomes much easier if you can land DoW first  ;)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

gameplan.exe

Quote from: steve2275 on May 17, 2012, 02:25:04 AM
and then use a 8 anypower attack

Yeah, I also forgot one other strategy that specifically involved the Any Heroes - usign Teamwork and other cards against the Battlesite, particularly to finish it off after getting some of the OJ cards to stick, then using New Universe to concede (so the lost Venture points doesn't really hurt). ... I think I need to rebuild this deck soon...
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

steve2275

Quote from: ncannelora on May 17, 2012, 12:56:50 PM

Yeah, I also forgot one other strategy that specifically involved the Any Heroes - usign Teamwork and other cards against the Battlesite, particularly to finish it off after getting some of the OJ cards to stick, then using New Universe to concede (so the lost Venture points doesn't really hurt). ... I think I need to rebuild this deck soon...
yes
you must

gameplan.exe

Quote from: steve2275 on May 18, 2012, 01:37:42 AM
Quote from: ncannelora on May 17, 2012, 12:56:50 PM

yes
you must

You know, in revisiting this deck and attempting to reconstruct it, I came upon a kind of an overhaul of the deck! check it out here: http://www.beenhereandthere.com/SMF/index.php?topic=865.0
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

steve2275

new obsession
start with an ally and go to
to superboy then to dazzler then back to dazzler then adam thenthen back to adam or susie and then
the power of placing
or am i wrong?
http://overpower.ca/wiki/FE
i think as long as no cards that allow for additional attacks other than these are played
its one long big string (13 attacks)

gameplan.exe

Quote from: steve2275 on June 01, 2012, 09:54:29 AM
new obsession
start with an ally and go to... to superboy then to dazzler then ...back to dazzler then adam then... then back to adam or susie and then...
the power of placing
or am i wrong?
http://overpower.ca/wiki/FE
i think as long as no cards that allow for additional attacks other than these are played
its one long big string (13 attacks)

Unfortunately, this string can't be done. If a character is attacking as a follow up to another character's special card, then that character's follow up attacks are forfeited, regardless of who would be making the follow up attacks. So...

If you play Adam Warlock's FE, which allows teammate follow up attacks, and Invisible Woman plays her FE - then her FE has to forfeit its follow up attacks, even though she wouldn't be the one to make those follow up attacks.

Quote(9) Specials that allow a follow up can be played after another Special that allows a follow up. If a Special allows for teammates to make follow-up attacks, then any follow-up actions allowed by Specials played as a result of that are all lost. If the Special granting a follow up has been played following a non-Special card (like an Ally card) then the follow up attacks are not lost.
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

gameplan.exe

Quote from: steve2275 on June 02, 2012, 12:32:46 AM
yeah i thought so
at least you can still get in 3 or 4 attacks in
defend
then do it again  :-*

Tru nuff. still a rough go of defending against gattling fire  :-[
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

steve2275

would that still apply to say namor playing an ally then then the power card attacks?

gameplan.exe

yes, Namor's follow up opportunities are all forfeited with the FE card. So, I.W. could play the ally into those two Namor cards, but you can't use the FE as a starting point for that string  :-\
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27