Offense vs attack

Started by Demacus, March 03, 2013, 09:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demacus

I know that when my opponent makes an attack, I am allowed a defense, i.e. Avoid, negate, powercard with universe, ect, ect.

If my opponent makes an offensive play that is NOT an attack, am I still allowed to play cards defensively?

For example:  My opponent plays Beast's EB special on his turn.  I am holding a Negate in my hand and would REALLY like to negate that EB.  Can I play my negate as a defensive action to him playing the EB, or do I not get a defensive maneuver, since his offensive maneuver doesn't affect me directly, forcing me to play my negate offensively on my turn, which he could then negate defensively in response?

Jack

You can negate almost every Special card played by the opponent played on their offensive turn (with the exception being Devourer of Worlds) assuming no other cards are in play the restrict it (MP).

Popular examples on our videos would be negating Viking Pyre/Art of the Deal or any Draw 3, none of those specials "cross the table" but are usually negated whenever possible.

breadmaster

this was always a weird one, that bugged me when i got back into the game

the rulebook explicitly says the opponent doesn't get a defensive action on non attacks played offensively.  the meta rules kind of suggest you can defensively negate non-attacks but it wasn't exactly clear to me.  it's the guide to playing specials that definititively says you can

"These Specials may be used to negate the effect of a Special card as it is being used to attack (i.e. avoid the attack), they may be used to remove a Special card that has already hit and become part of the "permanent record," or a Special card that is a "hit from the current Battle," they may be used to cancel the benefits, or penalties created by other Specials, and may be used to otherwise cancel, delete, negate, or otherwise void any Special card that has been played, even if the Special is not an attack Special"

to have to go to a tertiary rule source to override the rulebook seems odd to me, but there you have it

thetrooper27

What would really be cool is if someone (not me... I would butcher it) had the patience to rewrite the actual rulebook incorporating all the technicalities resolved by metarules in the official rulebook.  There has to be a way to simplify the rules of OP to make it less complicated.  Without you guys, I'm sure I would play the game incorrectly.
"wow...never notice how JACKED pym is in that pic before!" -breadmaster