Defensive Actions

Started by thetrooper27, November 05, 2012, 12:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thetrooper27

What cards other than avoids and negates qualify as defensive actions?

I've heard that Beast's Acrobatics can be used to avoid an attack.

I've heard that you can use BS with a power card to defend.

I've heard that you can use HG with a power card to defend.

What about NQ?

There are various other examples of things I've "heard."  Can anyone set me straight? And give reasons why?
"wow...never notice how JACKED pym is in that pic before!" -breadmaster

Nate Grey

The Overpower Wiki page is a great resource for finding out whether cards can be played offensively as well as defensively. I know when I got back into Overpower, I was amazed that cards such as Beast's Acrobatics (CD) can be used as defensive actions and even to avoid powerful offensive cards like Power Leech. Other cards that can be used as defensive actions are AH and I especially like the LO coded cards. There's more out there though. Here's the link to the wiki site where you can click on the specials to know whether they can be used both offensively and defensively.

http://overpower.ca/wiki/Special_Cards

thetrooper27

So which is better?... a CD special or an AG special?

Nate Grey

They both have their pluses and minuses. AG special gives you a straight up avoid to any kind of attack but its a one time deal. CD cards can be used to block a wide variety of attacks that can last for the entire battle, but it does leave you open for a specific type of attack. Like Beast's Acrobatics, blocks anything except any attacks made with a universe card. 

Check out Shang-Chi's OQ avoid. Wish more characters had that one. Maybe for the Absolute Evils expansion.  ;)

thetrooper27

Yeah the OQ is great, but it might be a little too good. Maybe one or two other characters could have an avoid like that.  I don't think Shang Chi is on a battlesite... is he?

I'm not really sure I understand why CD specials can be played defensively.  I'm not disputing that they can, but I was hoping for a reason.  It would appear the BS and HG type specials can be played defensively because they have the word "block" or "avoid" in them.  That gives me a clue how to use other cards defensively.  I'm looking for a guideline that helps me understand defensive special cards. 8)  I want to school my friends!

gameplan.exe

i think the best way the describe it is like this:

if you can play a card that affects how your team or characters can or cannot be attacked, or the defensive values of your team, (AH, AM, BG, BH, BJ, CD, etc), then it can be played defensively.
cards that affect how your opponent or his characters may attack, or their attack values, then it's offensive).

the only exception I can recall, really, is the DX (nightcrawler and malbolgia). it was used defensively on teammates until that was deemed too good (in lock-down type decks), so it was changed to offense-only, even when used on a teammate.

does that help?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

thetrooper27

1. So I can DEFEND an 8 with a 6+BG?  Can I use a CC special and the BG?

2. I play the BG with a 6 to make an ATTACK, but it has to be a teammate?  It can't be Maverick?  Can I use specials to make the attack?

3. Why is BJ not CW? Because it can be played offensively?

steve2275

1 yes http://overpower.ca/wiki/BG http://overpower.ca/wiki/CC not sure if nightcrawler is the xception
2 depends on the card ........thing is with +number to action if attack is if defended both cards go away......however if you're using say maverick and wolverine and wolverine is attacked maverick may use his special and w can use the appropriate power card to defend mavs special can stay in play till battle's end
3 because the bj can be played either way

thetrooper27

So anytime you play a +modifier, if the attack is defended, the effect is cancelled? 

And just to be sure, when you play a card as a defensive action, say with a CD, the attack is avoided, and the effect last till the end of battle?

Sorry if I seem like a dummy... just want to be sure, because will drastically change how we build our decks here.

breadmaster

definitely don't sweat it, trooper.

if you ever slog through the 'rules' topics, you'll see i asked a bunch of this same stuff