Can't play any specials from reserve?

Started by DarKBladE09, March 03, 2012, 09:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarKBladE09

Sorry, I've just gotten back into the game and wanted to just verify something. Can I not play a character's special that affects the team from the reserve? Like Maverick's Freelance Spy special card if he is my reserve player. It gives +2 to all actions by the team. Basically what I am getting at is you can only play a card from reserve if it specifically says so, right?. So no teammate may avoid one attack and such.

mattkoz

Yep.  Must specifically say you can either on the special or inherent ability.

DarKBladE09

follow up question... what about a reserve character's inherent ability? Like Invisible Woman's +2 to venture total?

mattkoz

That's a tough question but I think those also don't count until the characters are on the front line. I'll need someone to confirm that though.

Jack

The venture inherents aren't active from the reserve.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: DarKBladE09 on March 03, 2012, 09:30:23 PM
Sorry, I've just gotten back into the game and wanted to just verify something. Can I not play a character's special that affects the team from the reserve? Like Maverick's Freelance Spy special card if he is my reserve player. It gives +2 to all actions by the team. Basically what I am getting at is you can only play a card from reserve if it specifically says so, right?. So no teammate may avoid one attack and such.

there is one other way to play specials from Reserve, and that's if the Reserve is attacked. For example, if you have an Avoid placed to your Reserve, and then your Reserve is attacked (let's say, with an AN Special), then the Reserve may play the Avoid to defend.

In a similar way (and I have it built right now), Maverick can play the BG, if it was placed (during the placing phase, it'd have to be placed since you can't control whether or not it's going to be used), and if he himself is under attack. Then, the rules governing the use of the BG Special being played defensively come into play. So, if he's attacked with Cable's Bionic Eye, he can play a level 4 Power card with the BG Special, getting it into play for the whole team, from Reserve.

(I personally like to accomplish this with the HELLFIRE CLUB ATTACKED! Event, from Dark Phoenix Saga. The Event set is a good pairing with Dept H).
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27