Magneto (3 grid) + Asteroid M home = spectrum KO immunity?

Started by Bios, February 29, 2012, 06:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bios

Magneto (3 grid) is 8E/1F/2S and "Asteroid M" I.A. is "For every Value of 2 or less on Character's Power Grid, that Character may not be Spectrum KO'd by that Power Type."

Since Magneto has no intellect ratings at all, I guess we can't say if its over or above a specific level. So he can be spectrum KO'd by Intellect.

But I have doubts about multi-power cards. The rule book says "MultiPower cards may be used as any Power Type indicated on the card, and may be changed to any Power Type indicated on the card at any time during the game." So multis are not a power type itselves. If you declare them as fighting or strength, they can't put a spectrum KO on Mag. If you declare as intellect or energy, they will fuse with other i or e cards. So Magneto is immune to spectrum KO anyway.

Does anyone have another interpretation here?

BigBadHarve

No, that's exactly it - 3 stat Magneto on Asteroid M cannot be spectrum KO'd. He's immune to 2 types, which means you need the Cumulative KO to take him out.

-BBH

gameplan.exe

Quote from: BigBadHarve on February 29, 2012, 06:58:59 PM
No, that's exactly it - 3 stat Magneto on Asteroid M cannot be spectrum KO'd. He's immune to 2 types, which means you need the Cumulative KO to take him out.

-BBH

I've just never been able to bring myself to using 11Magneto though. Sure, he can't be spectrum KO'd, but he also has a 1F!! That's pretty worthless, relative to the Asteroid M Aspect:

Quote* ORBITAL HIDEOUT (C1) <XM> {U} [OPD]
        For remainder of game, Asteroid "M"'s team may draw 1 card from top of
            Draw Pile immediately after blocking an attack using a Fighting
            Power card. Discard if duplicate.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

Quote from: ncannelora on February 29, 2012, 07:18:13 PM

I've just never been able to bring myself to using 11Magneto though. Sure, he can't be spectrum KO'd, but he also has a 1F!! That's pretty worthless, relative to the Asteroid M Aspect:

But I think that's a great dillema for a player - a choice between a character who can't be spectum KO'd, or one who can make good use of that aspect.

It would be a little too good if you could have both.

-BBH

Demacus

Dilemma resolved with the advent of DiD, since Mags can be spectrum KO'd via that, might as well just go with I.Q. Magneto and take some advantage of the Aspect.

Bios

Quote from: Demacus on February 29, 2012, 07:55:53 PM
Dilemma resolved with the advent of DiD, since Mags can be spectrum KO'd via that, might as well just go with I.Q. Magneto and take some advantage of the Aspect.

Using BBH's explanation for the Ship:

DiD has zero effect on Asteroid M - unless you planned to add a cumulative resistant special to a battlesite.

DiD only applies when BOTH conditions have been met. Using Asteroid M as an example - a cumulative KO will kill any of those characters regardless of their spectrum immunity.