Playing as written... and without meta rules!

Started by Bios, March 29, 2012, 12:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

I like the concept of the battery. It would definitely help cut down on the need to pull out the meta rules, and the rules, and whatever else you had to check  :P during a game.

On another note:
Truly outstanding homemades Bios - i especially like the Sleepwalker OPD.

Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

Kal-el

Quote from: Bios on April 09, 2012, 08:03:36 PMActually there is no "full" hourglass, since it must be half empty, or the sand won't have space to move from a bulb to another.

Excellent point. Darn you and your real world logic. I like the battery idea, or any kind of scale like that. If only It were twenty years ago and we could actually get these put on the real cards.

Bios

Quote from: Kal-el on April 10, 2012, 01:19:22 PM

If only It were twenty years ago and we could actually get these put on the real cards.

Why not? All you need are scissors and some glue! :-P

But its totally applicable in a software version for the game.

Demacus

The Battery is a great concept for the duration effects!  Love the homemades! Just watch the grammer on the cards.  Sleepwalkers special is mixing contexts.  It should either be "...cards that have been..." or "...card that has been..."  In the first instance, Sleepwalker could play multiple cards placed to his teammates, where in the second instance he would have to choose a single card from a single character that he can play.  By having it as "...card that have been..." it's kind of confusing as to which instance you were going for.  Since it's an OPD I would wager it's the first instance, but cleaning up the text would make it definative.  Not trying to nitpick, just letting you know that the text would be the confusing part of that card.

Bios

Quote from: Demacus on April 11, 2012, 07:04:40 PM
Just watch the grammer on the cards.  Sleepwalkers special is mixing contexts. 
...it's kind of confusing
...Not trying to nitpick, just letting you know that the text would be the confusing part of that card.

Thanks for pointing that one out. I will fix it as soon as I get time.

I am not a native speaker, so I really appreciate when someone tells me that something is wrong or confusing in my texts. I use to ask someone when I think some of my ideas aren't clear enough (and breadman has been my main collaborator, or my most frequent victim, since text revision sucks!). But sometimes I just don't realize that something is wrong.

Please feel free to pm me with feedbacks or pointing any problem with my cards.

It should either be "...cards that have been..." or "...card that has been..."  In the first instance, Sleepwalker could play multiple cards placed to his teammates, where in the second instance he would have to choose a single card from a single character that he can play.  By having it as "...card that have been..." it's kind of confusing as to which instance you were going for. 

I meant ""...cards that have been...".

Since it's an OPD I would wager it's the first instance, but cleaning up the text would make it definative. 

The "battery icon" deals with that doubt. Its game lasting and as long as the card is in play, Sleep may play any cards placed to teammates.
The "bomb icon" indicates it must be played offensivelly. But once its in play, Sleep can play any teammate's specials defensively (its how "playing as written" works, if the general rule doesn't say you can't, so you can do it!).

Demacus

Sorry Bios.  I'll PM you with any further "clean-ups" I catch.  That does make Sleepwalker a severely AWESOME card and I would love to have a character or two with a trick so nice.  :D

Dog

It's scary how close this is to the idea I had.  Funny you mention Vs., because I thought the "clock" used for ongoing plot twists could be used for specials that last the duration of the game, while a clock set to an "earlier time" could represent those only lasting the duration of the battle. 

Ultimately I imagined four small symbols on the bottom of the special, one "clock," something right next to it to represent "instantaneous," and attack and defense symbols above these, much like you have.  You could also use the Vs. method of "brightening" the active ones, so you could leave all four on each card and still tell which were individually applicable.

Bios

I wrote a "rule book insert" for the icons, since I am using them in my homemade sets.
I also incorporated some concepts that we discussed in another topic, about how the effects follow the card itself:
http://www.beenhereandthere.com/SMF/index.php?topic=688.0

Of course, none of this is official. Just wanted to share, in case anyone else thinks it's usefull.

Hotobu

This thread brings back some interesting memories. I remember playing this in HS, and almost ALWAYS winning our local tournies. There was this one guy that I know I pissed off because he was in his 20/30s, but could rarely beat me even when he'd try to pull some dirty tricks. In his defense he didn't know any better (neither did we).

I remember when he'd:

Negate AG specials. The card doesn't say it can only negate an action and not a reaction, so we (other people in the tourney) would avoid an attack, and he'd negate it.

Use Web Headed Wizard to bring back KO'd heroes. There was one time when the rule book said that they go in the dead pile, so we thought you could resurrect people. He was the only one was subscribed to Wizard so he was the only one to have the card. Then when Scarlet Spider came out he'd use his AO to bring people back as well.

Use the crossing event to kill people. At the time I don't think it was ever said that events affect both teams, so he'd get this card and BANG he'd just chose to kill one of our characters.

I remember calling the OP hotline about the negate thing because that shit just seemed stupid... Looking back I think it's amazing how I managed to beat him so much in spite of these things... he must've been pretty terrible.

Kal-el

Quote from: Hotobu on December 13, 2012, 11:14:07 AMUse Web Headed Wizard to bring back KO'd heroes. There was one time when the rule book said that they go in the dead pile, so we thought you could resurrect people. He was the only one was subscribed to Wizard so he was the only one to have the card. Then when Scarlet Spider came out he'd use his AO to bring people back as well.

That brings back memories. Waaaay back I used to use Scarlet Spider in reserve so I could get two revives with Web-Head and his special. Good times.

BasiliskFang

Quote from: Bios on July 23, 2012, 07:50:12 PM
I wrote a "rule book insert" for the icons, since I am using them in my homemade sets.
I also incorporated some concepts that we discussed in another topic, about how the effects follow the card itself:
http://www.beenhereandthere.com/SMF/index.php?topic=688.0

Of course, none of this is official. Just wanted to share, in case anyone else thinks it's usefull.

what about cards that effect the next battle?

thetrooper27

NEO OverPower had a similar concept with the icon thing.  I really like it.  I wanted to bump this thread, and also wanted to ask:

Is that SpiderMan set finished yet!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!!?!?!!?!?1?!?!?!?
"wow...never notice how JACKED pym is in that pic before!" -breadmaster

NeilSwint

Quote from: thetrooper27 on May 13, 2013, 09:29:28 PM
NEO OverPower had a similar concept with the icon thing.  I really like it.  I wanted to bump this thread, and also wanted to ask:

Is that SpiderMan set finished yet!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!!?!?!!?!?1?!?!?!?

Any chance of ever seeing this set?