Anypower cards with universe cards

Started by Palatinus, May 02, 2012, 08:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palatinus

If an Anypower power card is combined with a universe card does the attack count as that attack type?  Of if I play a 6AP with a Hotdog Cart, can it be avoided by an Avoid one Strength attack special?

Jack

Yes. But after it lands it comes a spectrumless damage.

Palatinus

Thanks, Jack.  That seemed to make sense, but I just couldn't find an explanation that made it clear to me.

gameplan.exe

I have always been under the impression that AP attacks could be avoided by any of the "avoid <power type> attack" cards. I figured if it counts as "any power" then I should already be able to block it with an "avoid 1 strength attack" for example. It's not a Strength icon but it seems like it would still be considered a strength attack (as well as an energy, fighting, and intellect). It doesn't count for spectrum, though, because the attacker cannot declare it to their benefit. seems like the benefit would shift to the defender...

Am I alone here? I could've sworn I read this difference somewhere...
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Jack

From Norm:

Quote...Here's the skinny on Any Powers:

Any Power cards do NOT act as a particular skill (note that when I say this I am not talking about situations where Specials come into play that change that - I'm talking about general conditions). As an attack on their own, they are not considered to be any skill and therefore do not need to be declared as a particular skill and cannot be blocked with something like "Avoid 1 FIghting attack".

Any Power cards CAN however be used to accompany Universe cards. In those instances, since they are bound to the icon on the Universe card, they can be blocked by an avoid special as categorized above. However, this has more to do with the Universe card, not the Any Power card (in my mind, and this is not the way it works, but it serves as an explanation - the Universe card is the "fighting attack" which is being blocked, not the any power, but since "if part of the attack is blocked, the whole thing is..." the power card is blocked as well. - I repeat this is not how the mechanic is actually working - it is an illustration to show my point).

Since Any Power cards used with Universe cards bind to the skill being used, it is important that the character using the power card have the appopriate skill requirement. For example, Professor X could not use a level 5 Any Power card as a Fighting follow-up to a teamwork since his Fighting skill is only a 2.

Regarding Specials, since they never combine with Universe cards they never act as attacks and therefore cannot be avoided by cards like "Avoid 1 FIghting attack."

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Jack on May 02, 2012, 09:27:33 PM
From Norm:

Quote...Here's the skinny on Any Powers:

Any Power cards do NOT act as a particular skill (note that when I say this I am not talking about situations where Specials come into play that change that - I'm talking about general conditions). As an attack on their own, they are not considered to be any skill and therefore do not need to be declared as a particular skill and cannot be blocked with something like "Avoid 1 FIghting attack".

Any Power cards CAN however be used to accompany Universe cards. In those instances, since they are bound to the icon on the Universe card, they can be blocked by an avoid special as categorized above. However, this has more to do with the Universe card, not the Any Power card (in my mind, and this is not the way it works, but it serves as an explanation - the Universe card is the "fighting attack" which is being blocked, not the any power, but since "if part of the attack is blocked, the whole thing is..." the power card is blocked as well. - I repeat this is not how the mechanic is actually working - it is an illustration to show my point).

Since Any Power cards used with Universe cards bind to the skill being used, it is important that the character using the power card have the appopriate skill requirement. For example, Professor X could not use a level 5 Any Power card as a Fighting follow-up to a teamwork since his Fighting skill is only a 2.

Regarding Specials, since they never combine with Universe cards they never act as attacks and therefore cannot be avoided by cards like "Avoid 1 FIghting attack."

So, in the case I saw, a level 6A was being used as the Strength follow up of a Teamwork, so it was legal to use my "Avoid 1 Strength attack" Special, right? (since the AP was being used as Strength, per the Teamwork)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Jack

Correct, the basic universe made the attack qualify as a Strength attack; just as much as it qualifies as an attack made with a universe card.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Jack on May 04, 2012, 08:02:24 AM
Correct, the basic universe made the attack qualify as a Strength attack; just as much as it qualifies as an attack made with a universe card.

Gotcha. It really didn't matter, though, I was getting stomped  :'(
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

BasiliskFang

They should have been called Anti-powered if they can't be blocked by "Avoid 1 Fighting attack". Any implies they are ANY. Any is easily confused with multi...

gameplan.exe

well, then you couldn't use them with Universe cards at all...
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Monlikedeeko

So, if an AP is used with a teamwork attack, it takes the skill of the bonus right? So does that also mean it could be used to spectrum KO if the AP was the last hit to KO by spectrum?

Jack

It only takes the type for purposes of the attack, if it is not blocked, it loses its type and becomes an Any Power which does not count for spectrum.