The Walking Dead

Started by Palatinus, April 07, 2011, 12:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palatinus

So I am all caught up on The Walking Dead comics now.  I really do like them, but I can also say that as different as the show is, I really like that too and for different reasons.  I think the comic does well as a black and white horror comic because it uses the characters behavior, stresses, and situations to create a feeling of horror while not being horrifying to look at.  The show on the other hand has lots of things to consider that are different from the comic medium.  For one thing, they can't afford to keep killing characters and adding new characters in like in the comics.  With a TV show you have to develop a character and get the audience to feel they have a relationship with a character.  If you keep killing off characters and shifting focus you lose your audience.  For that reason I like that the show has preserved the lives of the characters longer.  I know that one aspect of the comic is people becoming desensitized to death and that is hard to do with the show unless you are killing people all the time, but the show seems to have different goals.

Aside from a comparison of the comic to the show, I have also gotten to the point where I'm losing a little interest in what happens to everyone.  After over 80 issues, just surviving doesn't seem like enough of a goal and I am hoping for a little more.  Now that I am caught up, of course, I'll have to wait for stuff to develop so I may wind up holding off on reading more until I am several issues behind.  In any event, I am very glad for the recommendation.