Artifact Questions

Started by metaphist, April 30, 2011, 08:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metaphist

I have a specific question about The Siege Perilous, but I thought I'd make it a general thread

For The Siege Perilous, it says "Teammate may discard...to remove from permanent record." Does teammate refer to the other two teammates, or to the holder of the artifact? It occurred to my friend when I played it that teammate could refer to the person holding it, since it could possibly be the teammate of the character who initially played it, not the holder. I always though otherwise, since I thought the description on the card now belongs completely to the holder of the artifact. Plus if the former were true it would just be a bad description, but there are a few cards like that so I thought I'd ask.

Nostalgic

I thought it was the teammate of the character (with the 5 or less intellect) that the artifact was played on. 
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

metaphist

Quote from: Nostalgic on April 30, 2011, 10:35:21 PM
I thought it was the teammate of the character (with the 5 or less intellect) that the artifact was played on. 

No, that's right. The question was about how things are played AFTER getting the card down. My friend was basically thinking that "teammate" in the text describing the ability referred to the same teammate that "teammate with ___" refers to when initially playing it. That would make all artifacts card affects describing a teammate be referring to the character actually holding the artifact, but I know that's not the case with Inducer so it shouldn't be the case anywhere else.

Nostalgic

Quote from: metaphist on May 01, 2011, 01:22:20 AMNo, that's right. The question was about how things are played AFTER getting the card down. My friend was basically thinking that "teammate" in the text describing the ability referred to the same teammate that "teammate with ___" refers to when initially playing it. That would make all artifacts card affects describing a teammate be referring to the character actually holding the artifact, but I know that's not the case with Inducer so it shouldn't be the case anywhere else.

Yea if the character "actually holding the artifact," as you said, was the last character on your team he/she/it couldn't use that particular artifact's ability. 
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

metaphist

So, I'm assuming our logic is correct if no one has chimed in...

What are your thoughts on the artifacts that raise a stat to 7 (Book of the Darkhold, etc)? It doesn't seem so useful since, in my own mind, the most attractive situation in which to use something game-lasting like that would be on your last man standing, usually the weak link. But of course, they wouldn't have the effect at that point, since the artifact holder would be dead...

gameplan.exe

No, the Artifact would remain.

When they say "teammate may..." they're referring to the same person who was "teammate with _ _" in the requirement.

So, with the Seige Perilous, if I use Mr.F to play it on Psylocke, then Psylocke is the teammate for the remainder of its play. Any time you want to remove a hit from Psylocke, she's the one who will be doing the discarding.

And with Image Inducer, if I use Psylocke to play it on Mr.F, then Mr.F is the teammate for the remainder of its play. Any time you want to move a hit to Mr.F, he's the one who will be doing the discarding.

And finally, if I use Mr.F to play The Book Of The Darkhold on Psylocke, she's the teammate who now has a 7 Intellect.

After a Tactic card is in play, the required involvement of the initial playing-character is gone.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Nostalgic

That one's different. Say you had BoD placed on Beast.  He could play that card on the X-babies giving them 7 intellect for the rest of the game.  It doesn't matter what happens to Beast from that point on as the artifact is now "active" on the X-babies.  

Those particular 'stat-boosting-type'  :P artifacts basically allow some characters that may not be able to function on a team due their stat incompatablity to be usable since you can boost a stat so they're in line with the rest of the team.  The obivous dangers with that are if you don't have adequate defense for that character, or some other "deterrant", until they can make use of the card to get the stat boost. As with everything, its all about a combination of factors that go into your overall strategy for a given team.

Edit:  *THIS* (below) 
Quote from: ncannelora on May 06, 2011, 01:11:54 PM
After a Tactic card is in play, the required involvement of the initial playing-character is gone.

metaphist

Gotcha. So I'm good on who "teammate" refers to now, thanks guys.

So knowing that, a few more questions...

So for Siege Perilous only the holder can remove hits from themselves and themselves only, correct?

For Darkhold, can you use it on a 3-grid character? :P I'm assuming no, but I thought I'd ask.

Jack

Siege Perilous -- yes.

Darkhold -- The character has no grid of 5 or less Intellect, so no.

mattkoz

Can grid modifying artifacts be played on the reserve hero?

gameplan.exe

Quote from: mattkoz on September 04, 2011, 12:41:10 PM
Can grid modifying artifacts be played on the reserve hero?

unfortunately, no (except Serpent Society, because of their Inherent Ability). both characters are technically "playing" it, by putting it to use - even the Grid altering ones... or so I have been told  :-\
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Nate Grey

Not sure if this has been asked somewhere else but can an Artifact be played on a reserve character or does the reserve have to move to frontline to have the artifact given to him/her? My group of players have finally been exposed to Artifacts so I want to make sure I get the rules down on those.  :)

Jack

No, all requirements for Tactic cards must be met by the front line characters, unless modified by Inherent Abilities, events, etc. (Serpent Society is one of them).

Nate Grey

Quote from: Jack on February 22, 2012, 02:20:44 AM
No, all requirements for Tactic cards must be met by the front line characters, unless modified by Inherent Abilities, events, etc. (Serpent Society is one of them).

Thanks Jack! I made a Spidey Villains strength team with Mysterio in the reserve but did wait for him to move to front line before I used Adamantium Tentacles on him.  :)

Nate Grey

If a character has a grid altering artifact played on him (say Serpent Crown on X-Babies), and Beyonder is a teammate, does Beyonder also benefit from the power grid boost?