beyonder and great power

Started by breadmaster, August 30, 2013, 03:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

breadmaster

great power: Look at top 8 cards of Draw Pile and choose any 1 card. Put chosen card in Hand. Put "With Great Power" on top of Draw Pile. Reshuffle Draw Pile. (OP)

usually, if one plays this special from a site, you'd get the positive effect of the search this round, but the negative of a discard next.  if I have beyonder on my team, can he now play this special?  the interpretation seems to be he can play only teammates' specials, but looking at the rules, it seems the limitation is that you can't put specials in your deck that don't belong to a character on the team

Jack

I thought we agreed that WGP from a battlesite does not go back into the deck (nor does the activator).

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Jack on August 30, 2013, 04:38:26 PM
I thought we agreed that WGP from a battlesite does not go back into the deck (nor does the activator).

Yeah, it really seems like this card would have produced a Meta Rule (or even just an official ruling in the Rule Book, regarding Battlesite maneuvers) that read something like this,

"Special cards from a Battlesite may never be put into the Draw Pile, regardless of the text on the Special."
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

breadmaster

is there any precedent for flat out ignoring half the text of a card?

i'm not saying it's 'wrong' to create a meta-rule for 1 specific card (TPTB did it enough themselves!) but I see no reason to follow suit.  why not just follow the text on the card, so that normally the player would have an auto-discard next battle?  there's no reason the rules have to be changed to allow 'great power' to be used in a site; it just isn't as good from one (not that spidey is on any must-use sites anyways :()

Jack

No precedence for WGP because we're pretty much doing the meta rulings.

In the Tournament Guide, it says: .. [Beyonder] can play any Specials for any Character, active or KO'd. Character implies on your team in this context because of the trailing "active or KO'd" clause.

BasiliskFang

Bread, you said it yourself. You can't put specials that don't belong to a character on your team in the deck. You may not shuffle wgp into the deck.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: breadmaster on August 31, 2013, 02:30:40 PM
is there any precedent for flat out ignoring half the text of a card?

i'm not saying it's 'wrong' to create a meta-rule for 1 specific card (TPTB did it enough themselves!) but I see no reason to follow suit.  why not just follow the text on the card, so that normally the player would have an auto-discard next battle?  there's no reason the rules have to be changed to allow 'great power' to be used in a site; it just isn't as good from one (not that spidey is on any must-use sites anyways :()

yeah, actually there is  :-\ take a look at these two things. the Special code (BU) has the following Meta Rule attached to it (21):

Quote* WHIP STRIKE (BU) <BS> {R}
        Catwoman may combine Strength power cards level 1 through 4 for a
            single attack. May be blocked as a whole or in parts

Quote(21) If a Special calls for another card to be played with or after it, then the card must be playable by the Character who contributes the card - even if the Special indicates otherwise

Catwoman is a 3-6-2-6, so she can, according to the Meta Rules, combine a Level 1 and 2 Strength Power card, only.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

breadmaster

yeah, but that catwoman one is more like an errata.

not that it matters anyways.  that beyonder ruling from the guide seems to be pretty clear.  I had always assumed that he COULD play any specials (like his inherent says), but the limitation comes from the deck building rule (only specials for characters on your team).

shows what happens when one assumes ;)

gameplan.exe

Quote from: breadmaster on September 01, 2013, 03:17:30 PM
yeah, but that catwoman one is more like an errata.

not that it matters anyways.  that beyonder ruling from the guide seems to be pretty clear.  I had always assumed that he COULD play any specials (like his inherent says), but the limitation comes from the deck building rule (only specials for characters on your team).

shows what happens when one assumes ;)

idk, the line between errata and meta rule is pretty blurry... at any rate, whether errata or meta rule, I'm pretty sure that card would have had post-release ruling on it... but I don't want to assume  ;)
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27