New Programmer

Started by dday9, August 06, 2015, 04:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dday9

Hello OverPower community,

My name is dday9 and the reason why I joined is because I was hired to create a new version of the OverPower Online game. Personally, I have never played OverPower, it came out a little before my time. However, I am a very solid programmer and I enjoy redoing old games like this. My biggest issue though, is I do not know the game. The man who has hired me said that he create me a step-by-step guide to the game, but that has been a few months ago and I would really like to finish this project.

So where would I go to find a step-by-step process of this game? Remember, computers are very literal, so if I tell the program to do something, than it will. So I need to basically know all the rules and all the exceptions to the rules.

Sincerely,
dday9

dday9

Is this forum still active? It's been 5 days since I posted this thread an no response, not trying to dog the site, just trying to get an idea of the activity here.

Skeletaur

There was a tournament this weekend, so a lot of the active posters were away this weekend.

I think you can get a great summary of the rules and all information you would need at http://overpower.ca/

BlueFire

Yup to the above.

Under the pages tab click on rules.

justa

all of the board have been fairly slow for the last 4 months - its not just this week....

i don't think the rules were too much the problem with OPonline.  the biggest problems i remember were:

1) IP dependent connection.  with my router, i could only play someone in the house unless i strung a 50 ft ethernet cable to the modem, bypassing the router, which prevented anyone else in the house from internet access.

2) frequent crashes.  one wrong step & BOOM - there it goes.

3) playing non-attack cards.  there must be a better way.

4) a table tray to hold ROB/ROG cards that are still in effect.  to keep them on the table instead of having to remember or trace a chat.

not knowing jack about modern programming, i have absolutely nothing to add towards the solutions.

breadmaster

I also know nothing about programming, but it seems you'd want to keep it as simple as possible.  that is, have outlines that the player can drop cards into, and leave the rules enforcement up to the players

if you want to have the program enforce the rules, I think the only way to familiarize yourself with the game is to play it.  there are rulebooks out there, but they don't cover a lot of it (and in some cases are flat out WRONG)